Trump is threatening to withdraw from the international body that oversees global mail delivery, putting at risk the stability and reliability of the current system of sending and receiving mail internationally.

21 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Yes, I’m sure people will stop shopping online at your suggestion. How else is it going to happen? And don’t say drones.

I’m just talking about letters and such.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:
1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Yes, I’m sure people will stop shopping online at your suggestion. How else is it going to happen? And don’t say drones.

I’m just talking about letters and such.

Fair enough, my bad. For bills and stuff I went paperless a long time ago. I rarely mail letters and such.

47 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Fair enough, my bad. For bills and stuff I went paperless a long time ago. I rarely mail letters and such.

Yeah, with electronic document formats becoming legal replacements for nearly every kind of transaction or notice you can think of there isn’t much need for physical letters and similar mailings. Parcel delivery is still very much needed.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Physical mail delivery does seem like something we should move to end, regardless of why Trump wants to disrupt the global system.

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, with electronic document formats becoming legal replacements for nearly every kind of transaction or notice you can think of there isn’t much need for physical letters and similar mailings. Parcel delivery is still very much needed.

It's a good thing no parcels ever get sent through the USPS or any other postal service. :daydream:

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's a good thing no parcels ever get sent through the USPS or any other postal service. :daydream:

Which isn’t relevant to what I said, I’m not talking about disbanding the USPS. Just society moving past mailing letters/documents.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Which isn’t relevant to what I said, I’m not talking about disbanding the USPS. Just society moving past mailing letters/documents.

Pulling us out of this global pact won't just affect sending letters to grannie abroad.

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pulling us out of this global pact won't just affect sending letters to grannie abroad.

Ok? The only thing I’ve been talking about this entire time is moving away from mailing letters. Let me introduce you to the concept of a tangent :p

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Hell, I got my last loan with an e-signature and pictures of my ID. Didn’t even have to go into a bank. It was interesting.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

What about poor people with no access to good internet, devices, or printers?

Expand access to things like the lifeline program in the US if need be. This is not a difficult challenge, gaining the acceptance of electronic documents was the hard part.

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Expand access to things like the lifeline program in the US if need be. This is not a difficult challenge, gaining the acceptance of electronic documents was the hard part.

Oh I agree that it's possible...but maybe more in a place like Norway. The chances of getting poor people internet access (plus access to free scanners/printers) in the US are very low. GOP response would be "let them use their office equipment on work time, like me!"

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh I agree that it's possible...but maybe more in a place like Norway. The chances of getting poor people internet access (plus access to free scanners/printers) in the US are very low. GOP response would be "let them use their office equipment on work time, like me!"

We already have such programs here, I literally gave you the name of the federal program. The percentage of the population without home internet access (either broadband or via smart phones) has been in very rapid decline and is approaching the point of being largely a

choice not to have it.

The largest hurdle in this regard is actually age. Even people of my parents age (late 50s) are pretty bad with computers and mobile devices, my Granny (early 80s) gets on the internet about once every 2 months and usually only when one of her grand kids is around to help her.

24 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We already have such programs here, I literally gave you the name of the federal program. The percentage of the population without home internet access (either broadband or via smart phones) has been in very rapid decline and is approaching the point of being largely a

choice not to have it.

The largest hurdle in this regard is actually age. Even people of my parents age (late 50s) are pretty bad with computers and mobile devices, my Granny (early 80s) gets on the internet about once every 2 months and usually only when one of her grand kids is around to help her.

I meant where it reaches penetration viable enough to stop delivering mail. You'd need 99%+.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I meant where it reaches penetration viable enough to stop delivering mail. You'd need 99%+.

Right now having no internet access at all is largely a choice. We are in that ballpark of availability. The 10% of the population that doesn’t use the Internet is mostly old folks who don’t like it or don’t understand it. In another 10 years that number will drop in half regardless of any policy change just due to old people dying!

Out of the 10% of people who don’t use the internet, about 1/5th of those cite cost as the issue, and a much smaller fraction cite availability.

We aren’t that far off and a major change like discontinuing letter delivery could be the impetus needed to get across the finish line.