Trials of Mana - Official Teaser Trailer

The Secret of Mana remake didn't review particularly well, but I remember watching a lot of youtubers say that most people were over critical of the game and that it was actually very enjoyable despite its flaws. I might buy it and give it a shot depending on how cheap I can buy it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The game feels kinda classic. Everything but the characters looks kinda bleh. Some crappy pop-in, and the view distance doesn't seem that high. My PC could easily handle all of that, but there doesn't really seem to be much in the way of graphics options. Dual-audio is nice. I was gonna use ENG until I noticed there was a character that speaks in an uwu voice, Charlotte. If the the character didn't sound like a grown adult and was doing the uwu voice then I could deal with it, but I am literally experiencing second hand embarrassment listening to that. Combat is fun so far but super basic. I have been enjoying the music a bit as well. I can't really tell if the story will be good or not. There are these sudden leaps for all of the characters to get them to the same spot, but I really want to play that parts that were shown in a montage. 

Overall I want the game, but not at 50 bucks. Feel way too much like something I should be playing on my Vita. 30 bucks is the price I am looking for with this game. 

other things I forgot

I am glad I was able to remap the attack and evade buttons. The Left face button being evade is just wrong. Evade should always be the right face button. 

This is only a PC issue, but I can't seem to be able to tab out. Like I can, but the game becomes windowed and the audio is still playing and the in-game time is still going up.

This is also one of those games where there is no pausing the in-game clock. If you are at 2 hours played and leave the game running for and hour, well now you have 3 hours played. That is also a PC only issue because you can go to the home screen on the Switch or PS4 which I assume stops the in-game time, but you can't on PC. 

The game as a whole feels kinda cheap. Reminds me of Ys:MoC, which I really liked but it had this cheapness to it. I don't mind it in this game either but not for the price. 

Ugg I feel mixed on this game but went ahead and ordered a physical copy anyway. The original game was amazing and you get the feeling of the beginnings of a solid game in this somewhere but you can easily see where this game is held back by its budget (hell count the number of programmers in the credits, it's crazy small). It feels like if someone tried to make a AAA ps2 game using today's tech with a small team. It's just missing so much polish. The combat is great, the music is godly, the enemy models are really well done. The environments are hit and miss but the part that bugs me the most is it feels like the scale/proportions of the overworld is off. It leads to it feeling like you're running really damn slow when trying to walk in some areas and just fine in others. -.-

I put in about 2h into the game so far fyi.

19 hours ago, Bacon said:

So, is the game supposed to just jump you to another city or is that just the demo? Feels like a bunch of content got skipped over. 

That kind of how the game is.

15 hours ago, Bacon said:

The Left face button being evade is just wrong. Evade should always be the right face button. 

Agreed. This kind of annoys me on switch.

Checking resetera, seems I'm not the only person having issues with the walking speed on switch. Seems to be an issue with just that platform. =(

6 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

You can remap the controls in the options

@Bacon @chakoo

Good to know. I just end up becoming too fixed on the game to bother to look/change it. 

So, I have played every character. Duran totally feels like the main character going by cliche. He is the only one who really has you adventuring a tiny bit before moving on to the main plot. His "origin" is also the longest. With almost every other character you basically don't even leave the first town before you are teleported to Jadd. When I get the game he is who I will be making the MC. But Kevin is the most fun to play, IMO. He is really fast and really strong. I'll probably play him the most even though I am not making him the MC. Least fun to play is Angela.

The origin story for each character doesn't seem to change if they are picked second. Maybe Charlotte's does. Once you arrive in Jadd the story is basically the exact same just with a different character. I heard that the final boss is different depending on the MC tho so I assume there are some differences depending on your main character at least later on. There are also story pairs. Duran and Angela, Hawkeye and Riesz, and Kevin and Charlotte. Seems like the story pairs have the same final boss. I will be doing Duran and Angela with Charlotte as the third. 

The game is pathetically easy, even on hard. Assuming you pick Charlotte as your third, you can utterly destroy the first boss. 6 CS attacks and it's dead. Being able to dodge infinitely with no consequences really makes the game too easy. A literal baby's game. Of course the game may get harder. The game talked about silver save statues but there were only gold ones in the demo, which are the ones that fully heal you. I never used a single item in the demo. I also wish they would have found a way to show danger other than the giant red splotches. It makes evading damage too easy as well. 

• 1 month later...

I picked it up! Hoping the difficulty ramps up, the demo was insanely easy but I really liked how the movement and even more basic elements of the combat felt. Saw a review that says it starts to ramp up at some point, but I'm sure I could cheat engine my way to a proper difficulty Ni No Kuni 2 style if needs be.

I got the game the other day and it seems like the game got harder right of the bat. Not hard, but harder. I actually used items. But, the main reason I use items now is because is swear they made the AI far dumber than in the demo. They attack far less and will no move out of AOEs. Like, I was fighting a boss and the bitches literally just stood in the giant red AOE doing literally nothing. It is fucking ridiculous. 

Most the time my AI seems to move out of the AOEs as a priority, except in boss fights. Which is weird. They still move out of it, but seem to have more trouble. You talking about the boss in the cave? I kept losing AI teammates to those attacks. But in other fights they dodge AOEs so well it puts the idiot AI in FF7R to shame. I swear the AI script in that game is "hold the stick slightly to the left or right" and that's it.

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Most the time my AI seems to move out of the AOEs as a priority, except in boss fights. Which is weird. They still move out of it, but seem to have more trouble. You talking about the boss in the cave? I kept losing AI teammates to those attacks. But in other fights they dodge AOEs so well it puts the idiot AI in FF7R to shame. I swear the AI script in that game is "hold the stick slightly to the left or right" and that's it.

Yeah, that is the boss. First time I had to use a rez item. I also did notice that they are much better at dodging normal enemies, which is really fucking weird. Attack does 20 dmg? HOLY SHIT I GOTTA DODGE ACTIVATE BULLET TIME!!! Attack does big numbers? HIT ME! HIT ME YOU FUCKING PUSSY! Going a bit a head of that(not sure how far in you are), they had trouble dodging the two robots on the bridge, but no issue dodging them at the castle when they became a more basic enemy.  

lol, I forgot that part with the robots might be different if you picked different characters, but maybe not.