Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree (06/21) - Information Thread, update (06/20): significant content update (bug fixes, balance changes, etc.) for the base game to release with expansion

1 minute ago, Dimden said:

I mean, character creation has always been an afterthought in Souls games. Your name is never referenced outside of what summons and invaders can see, the actual generator rivaled Oblivion for how ridiculously hard it was to make anything resembling a human form and you're in a funny looking helmet or facing away from the camera 95% of the time.

Reveal hidden contents

Not trying to minimize anything, it's just weird to expect a foreign developer to cater to specific groups of people. But what do I know? I'm just one of those weirdos who just plays games and doesn't really care if a character is representative of me. :Dunno: So don't listen to me, I'm dumb as all hell.

Yeah, blood slash is stupid good against a lot of enemies.

If you run into those giant rock turtles or whatever. Whack their feet and then you'll be able to go inside them and duplicate your great runes. As far as I can tell based on my experiences, you can do one per turtle, so think carefully about which ones you want to dupe.

Yeah, I know about the walking mausoleums. There's 3 for sure. Do you have to fight a boss inside?

3 minutes ago, Dimden said:

I'm just one of those weirdos who just plays games and doesn't really care if a character is representative of me. 

Easy to have that attitude when EVERY character you play in every game probably looks like you. (I dunno who you are or what your background is so i'm just making assumptions) This stuff does matter, even though it may not matter to YOU. Just sayin'... every character that I can create looks pretty much like me in real life. That's huge for immersion especially for RPG'S that focus on player created characters.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Gotta find what you like. Just about anything can work in the game. You'd have to like try to spread yourself thin across magic and melee in order to really fuck and even then it eventually work once you have enough levels. 

The rune from the first boss is great as you mentioned but just remember diminishing returns. Vigor, endurance, strength, and dex all soft cap at 40. You can go above 40 for those stats but you get less of an increase past 40. I think the magic related stats have more relaxed soft caps though. Don't remember sincr I have done magic in any game.

So because my weapons scale of str and dex, I should get str to 40, then raise dex instead? With a point of vigor and stamina here and there?

7 minutes ago, Dimden said:

Like I said, I'm an idiot, I'm also not a red headed Scottish woman, but that's my character. It's just weird to see modern westerner's demand modern western sensibilities from easterners with eastern sensibilities, especially considering they have a track record of having never catered to modern western in the entirety of their game development history. And well, Miyazaki is a huge fan of Lovecraft, so that may say something about him that isn't openly discussed.

Capcom did it right with Monster Hunter. You don't have to "demand" anything.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dimden said:

It's just weird to see modern westerner's demand modern western sensibilities from easterners with eastern sensibilities,

Why is it weird for a global audience to expect an company marketing and selling product to a global consumers to cater to as many people as possible? This isn't the 90's where Japanese devs were making game primarily for home consumption and the rest of the world imported them. The Japanese should be held to the same standard as everyone else when marketing to a global audience. By your reasoning they shouldn't be expected to do any localization when selling products to regions outside of their own. Does that make sense to you?

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Capcom did it right with Monster Hunter. You don't have to "demand" anything.

Plenty of other Japanese devs have done it and still do. I'm not even faulting From Software here... I'm just saying they don't get a pass just because "They're Easterners who don't know any better." That's bullshit. That's my last comment on the subject though... don't want to derail the thread. It's all love @Dimden :mhug:

Early this morning I beat Godrick. He was easier than Margit. I beat a few other bosses throughout the world too. I spent 3 hours opening the map and holy fuck is this game MASSIVE! I found bosses really far west/north that are extremely powerful so I didn't attempt to fight them. 

I'm 36 hours in and I can't stop playing this game. It's already one of my favorite games I've ever played. It's so addicting and the challenge is actually perfect for me. I'm surprised that I'm doing as well as I am. I'm level 51 and have been putting my runes towards endurance like you guys recommended. What a masterpiece of a game. 

23 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

So because my weapons scale of str and dex, I should get str to 40, then raise dex instead? With a point of vigor and stamina here and there?

Are you using a shield if you are then yes you want to hit 40 str if you are using two hands then hit 27 because that will hit 40 with the buff for 2 hands and then go into dex to 40. I just dodge so since I hit a dex of 40 I am going for endurance for now. After that I guess do vitality or maybe str 40 then vitality. I dual wield so its not efficient if i hit 40 in str right away but i will see a damage buff.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Why 40? How do you know this lol

I started Dark Souls remastered in Jan i think and eas getting owned by invaders. I imagine it was dudes wit mad hours in the game so I decided to "git gud". Started over and decided to focus on damage and rely on dodging to avoid damage since shields can be broken leaving you open. During that time I read up info on thr stats and such to make the build. It worked I started pwning invaders. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dimden said:

Like I said, I'm an idiot, I'm also not a red headed Scottish woman, but that's my character. It's just weird to see modern westerner's demand modern western sensibilities from easterners with eastern sensibilities, especially considering they have a track record of having never catered to modern western in the entirety of their game development history. And well, Miyazaki is a huge fan of Lovecraft, so that may say something about him that isn't openly discussed.

That's my last post on this, didn't mean to derail the topic into politics, my bad.

Since you quoted me...I didn't demand anything nor even criticize them. I just said Demon's Souls had crazy options, then remembered it was made by Bluepoint when comparing in my head.

And you're implying that Miyazaki being a fan of Lovecraft makes him a racist, how in god's name did you even arrive there?

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Gonna resist watching those videos... so much of the joy of this game is discovering things for yourself. 

Yup. 

On that note, aftwr beating Renalla, I decided just to go back to limgrave and Weeping Peninsula and see what I missed in a guide, to see if there was anything important, and I couldn't believe how much there is, just out in plain sight. There were so many bosses I didn't fight in those areas. Like, I killed so many of the damn things, but still, there were at least 8 or 9 more.

I get so much satisfaction about planting a banner on the map wherever I kill a boss or accomplish something important.

2 hours ago, Dimden said:

Not trying to minimize anything, it's just weird to expect a foreign developer to cater to specific groups of people. But what do I know? I'm just one of those weirdos who just plays games and doesn't really care if a character is representative of me. :Dunno: So don't listen to me, I'm dumb as all hell.

Horizon Forbidden West is made by a Dutch developer and that game has an incredibly diverse cast.

2 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

for those using or have used the Bloodfang weapon...am i wrong in that you cant add an ashes to it?  and some weapons i have tried to add them seems to reduce damage?  i can be wrong and dont have an example off the top of my head though

Ashes of War can't be assigned to unique weapons. In addition Ashes of War also change your weapon properties. Heavy weapons remove dex scaling but make Str scaling B i think with the final upgrade level being A. Keen weapons do the opposite of heavy. Quality weapons improves dex and str scaling.

Quality is technically the best but for pve heavy and keen are fine. Also there is a benefit to just focusing on one stat over trying to max out 2 of course.

4 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

OK thanks thats kind of what i thought 

Remember there really isn't a bad weapon. I beat DS1 with claymore, halberd, and black knight halberd. DS3 was pure claymore. Elden ring is probably gonna be pure Halberd. The unique wrapons are cool and look cool but like the claymore is the fast of all the great swords with good damage. Perfect for going in getting hits and dodging out. Halberd is weaker then the claymore but has longer reach.