Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (05/21): Shadow of the Erdtree "Story Trailer"

5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Nintendo should let from software have a crack at Zelda and Banco should get the WFB and 40k license to see what from soft can make out of em. Change my mind.

Given how (comparatively speaking) DS2 and DS3 don’t shine as brightly as the rest of From’s portfolio, I think they have shown they make better games when they aren’t saddled with preconceived expectations. 

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

Given how (comparatively speaking) DS2 and DS3 don’t shine as brightly as the rest of From’s portfolio, I think they have shown they make better games when they aren’t saddled with preconceived expectations. 

People don't hold DS3 in high regards? I loved every second of it. To the point when I see gameplay of the starting area I get the urge to start from the beginning. 

Also what classes will we be using? I am going for the knight one. Kinda like it starts with a halberd.

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

People don't hold DS3 in high regards? I loved every second of it. To the point when I see gameplay of the starting area I get the urge to start from the beginning. 

Also what classes will we be using? I am going for the knight one. Kinda like it starts with a halberd.

Any class you recommend for a noob? I've only beaten Bloodborne in the series. 

5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Keyword is ‘comparatively speaking’; plenty of people adore those two, but in the aggregate I think most people rank them slightly below the rest of their portfolio. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The classes aren't traditional RPG classes. It's more of a how do you want to play kind of thing. So you pick say the knight class because you want to be a knight and fight with sword/shield, halberd, or greatswords with heavyish armour. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@best3444

100% In the short amount of time I spent with the demo I can confirm it was the first game since BotW to give me that same

sense if amazing exploration. There’s ALWAYS something where you think it might be and it’s always worth the time it takes to get there. I’m SO. FUCKING. EXCITED!!!!

30 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Technically anything that uses magic is easier than just a straight melee class (like if this has the equivalent of a pyromancer) - likewise you could just build yourself like a tank so you can endure a bunch of hits and give no fucks. You can spec into any stat you like no matter what class you pick, classes really mostly only dictate starting stats.

However, the classes have different names in this so you'll just have to wait till the game comes out to figure out what class to use.

39 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Technically anything that uses magic is easier than just a straight melee class (like if this has the equivalent of a pyromancer) - likewise you could just build yourself like a tank so you can endure a bunch of hits and give no fucks. You can spec into any stat you like no matter what class you pick, classes really mostly only dictate starting stats.

However, the classes have different names in this so you'll just have to wait till the game comes out to figure out what class to use.

I guess I'm going to be a tank. This will be interesting.

@best3444 I am not a fan of BOTW. But more importantly, the open world felt like a major waste of time and you experience everything the open world part has to offer within the first 5 hours. I feel like the BOTW open world became busy work designed to waste your time and offer you nothing in return. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thank you. I'll play in quality but I wonder why the ps5 version is superior... 🤔 

If these are somehow what it actually has in place on release, XSX is the superior version for you as the 45-60 range will be within the vrr range of your tv and ps5 doesn’t support vrr.

If the ps4 version is uncapped as well then playing that version on ps5 should hold 60 and would be the best version probably. Unless that’s what they already did there and that’s why ps5 is higher.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

@best3444 I am not a fan of BOTW. But more importantly, the open world felt like a major waste of time and you experience everything the open world part has to offer within the first 5 hours. I feel like the BOTW open world became busy work designed to waste your time and offer you nothing in return. 

I can understand your point. We shall see how this open world is. I'm so blind going into this game it's insane.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

If these are somehow what it actually has in place on release, XSX is the superior version for you as the 45-60 range will be within the vrr range of your tv and ps5 doesn’t support vrr.

If the ps4 version is uncapped as well then playing that version on ps5 should hold 60 and would be the best version probably. Unless that’s what they already did there and that’s why ps5 is higher.

Please forgive my ignorance but what is vrr?

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I guess I'm going to be a tank. This will be interesting.

I must warn you a tank isn't that tanky in this game. In the words of the World Of Warships community "Just dodge". A tank can be easily overwelhmed by numbers and bosses will usually kill you in 2-3 hits maybe 4 if you have really good armour.

Just now, best3444 said:

Variable refresh rate. It's usually called G Sync or free sync on the PC side. Basically the monitor can match the refresh rate to your FPS to avoid screen tearing. There are limits though usually can't go below 40FPS.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Someone on reset compiled the info on frame rate.

Just now, Zaku3 said:

I must warn you a tank isn't that tanky in this game. In the words of the World Of Warships community "Just dodge". A tank can be easily overwelhmed by numbers and bosses will usually kill you in 2-3 hits maybe 4 if you have really good armour.

Ok, that changes my mind then. I guess I'll have to experiment myself and see what suits me best. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It allows your tv to adjust the hz to match the frame rate of the game. Without vrr, so like for 98% of people right now, the game is going run terrible and be a stutter and/or screen tear fest if that isn’t fixed in the d1p. Vrr will let the performance mode run well for you. 

Edit: You’ll want to still use performance as LG oled vrr limit is 40 before LFC kicks in which won’t look as smooth 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

may I present to you...

KCXlyUK.jpg

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok, that changes my mind then. I guess I'll have to experiment myself and see what suits me best. 

Nah, if you wanna tank, you get a big shield. Tanking isn't about lowering damage, but blocking it entirely 

lol seriously if they don’t cap the quality mode to 30fps then this is some weird ass pointless self sabotaging going on, that mode isn’t even in vrr range anyway. Cap quality to 30, let performance mode be variable for those who dare try, ezpz. I can’t even imagine the meeting room arguments discussing this that led to them not doing that so I’m assuming there never were any.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

It allows your tv to adjust the hz to match the frame rate of the game. Without vrr, so like for 98% of people right now, the game is going run terrible and be a stutter and/or screen tear fest if that isn’t fixed in the d1p. Vrr will let the performance mode run well for you. 

Edit: You’ll want to still use performance as LG oled vrr limit is 40 before LFC kicks in which won’t look as smooth 

Ok. I'll play in performance mode. Hopefully the d1p fixes the issues.