Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The one thing that makes me worried, just like any DnD campaign, is that I'm not going to finish it because I already have an idea of what kind of character I want on my next run. So I just get bored with the one I have.

Wouldn’t a gripping story fix that? So you want to see how the main story ends? I have no idea if this has such or not

9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m trying to temper my expectations or like realize that maybe the game’s charm won’t last through 100 hours, but I’m just in act 1 and I am getting the feeling that this is one of the best games I have ever and will ever play. 

I'm 50 hours in and still on act one! (well maybe more like 45 because I started a coop campaign with a friend too)

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Im curious if it’s because you..didn’t like ER?

Yes, but it's not just that I dislike it. There are lots of games I don't like and that's okay because we all like different things. But normally I can understand why people like other things. With Elden Ring, I have a very hard time understanding how people look past a number game design flaws. Or rather, I could maybe see looking past them, but tempering the praise as a result. Instead people hail it as the best game ever made. 

But I'll leave it at that for this thread :p 

Just now, legend said:

Yes, but it's not just that I dislike it. There are lots of games I don't like and that's okay because we all like different things. But normally I can understand why people like other things. With Elden Ring, I have a very hard time understanding how people look past a number game design flaws. Or rather, I could maybe see looking past them, but tempering the praise as a result. Instead people hail it as the best game ever made. 

But I'll leave it at that for this thread :p 

All I will say is I see Elden Ring a lot like SOTN

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Wouldn’t a gripping story fix that? So you want to see how the main story ends? I have no idea if this has such or not

I think I just haven't progressed far enough in the story because I've been fucking off a lot, but to me it's more about the character interactions.

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
daacfe50d8dbadbd42190e0e545128ae1ef42d29
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Hello, everyone! During the launch weekend, you played a combined 1225 years of Baldur’s Gate 3 – almost as long as it took to make it. And 368 of you managed to finish it within that 3-day weekend. We salute you. We’re about to enter the second weekend of launch, and thanks to you, it’s looking like it might be a big one.

c8f387f585a709e47bd0930984ad89e26453fbd5

02d741f91bacc8ab8cc55f23f9314b899e827534

0b1087e327ec9846eaef5b2c15b37c4b1242e85e

f74310fd1329a2ceb83682ab186fa2b84456f57b

You'd know, I'd say I feel bad for Laezel being the least common origins pick and Githyanki being the least common race, but she'd just tell me to eat shit and that she doesn't want my sympathy. Then she would try to fuck me randomly, and then put a knife to my throat.

Also, I had been wearing the purple pajamas, but I think there was a bug in the patch or something because they disappeared from my person. But I didn't know that until I went for a long rest and an argument broke out between two characters. I came running in stark naked to play diplomat.

It ultimately was for the best :p 

It really was a mistake to go Sorc. I want to be a magic boi but my god Barbarians have THE best class-specific actions.

No spoilers, but just in case you want to see barb stuff for yourself.

Spoiler
Spoiler

QGYq7Ks.jpg

pcHb7RT.png

I really should have known better than to stray away from my roots. I always have the most fun with characters and classes that personify recklessness. Well, that and outlaw rogues which I feel share a bit of that recklessness but in a different way.

Also, so, I decided to go with what my GeForce experience said was the optimal settings and holy moley has that increased my performance greatly. Not sure exactly what AMD FSR 1.0 set to Ultra Quality does, but the game still looks great and runs better.

What's funny tho, is I was trying to get the game working better in 1080p but it just looked too blurry, turns out it was TAA that made 1080p look far worse than it should. I still have it on at 1440p. Yeah, there is a bit of a blur but no AA and SMAA look oddly sharp. I feel that TAA makes it look slightly more real.

I decided to turn off Karmic dice. D20s kind of suck so I get why they would try to do something to make them feel better, but removing conditional independence from rolls kind of blows. "Well this attack won't be great because the last one was" feels wrong. I don't want to have to be thinking about things like that.

vengeful-thumb-Recovered-Recovered.png?w
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Baldur's Gate 3 is a game of the year contender - but how does its PC release stack up in terms of visuals and performa…

Baldur's Gate 3 is a great game then, and unlike many recent PC releases, it launches in a polished state with no game-breaking issues, shaming the technical quality of other big AAA releases. I wish it did a few things better, like having FSR 2 at launch, fixing a few minor DLSS issues or improving frame-times when traversing NPC-populated areas on lower-end CPUs like the Ryzen 5 3600. Other than these minor aspects though, Larian has done a fine job on the technical side of things - and that's a genuine pleasure, given just how well this clear game-of-the-year candidate has been realised.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III (PC - August 3, PS5 - September 6, Xbox Series - 2024?) - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry technical review
38 minutes ago, legend said:

I decided to turn off Karmic dice. D20s kind of suck so I get why they would try to do something to make them feel better, but removing conditional independence from rolls kind of blows. "Well this attack won't be great because the last one was" feels wrong. I don't want to have to be thinking about things like that.

And then I turned it back on when every character missed an enemy we had advantage on.

I rage reloaded

2 hours ago, legend said:

“FYI you don’t need to use Karmic Dice in BG3,” Douse said. “It’s an option. Options are good. If you feel like you’re failing too many rolls, it’ll balance it out like a friendly DM. Karmic Dice is a friendly DM. Like D&D groups, we give folks options to help hone the experience to their taste.

The dice will always ensure you have a story to tell, but if you want the RNG gods to be slightly weighted in your favour, then Karmic Dice is for you.”

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

You could say the same thing about the "real" "random" rolls! You should know better than anyone it's all fake randnomness!

It’s possible to have shitty RNG but you kind of have to work for it this days with how easy it is to come by RNG. “Real” randomness doesn’t exist in the overwhelming majority of things we consider random in reality either unless you’re working on quantum systems. Randomness is mostly a model for uncertainty from partial information and so applying it to properly coded RNG is just as valid as anything in life!

15 minutes ago, legend said:

I *finally* finished act 1 and made it to level 7 before "finishing" it. This game does a good job scattering cool loot. 

19 hours in, still in act 1 and loving it. There’s a lot of little things that can be rewarding, like getting info from talking to the dead or finding trap doors that lead to a basement full of alchemy supplies! 

I just wish I had more time to play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

19 hours in, still in act 1 and loving it. There’s a lot of little things that can be rewarding, like getting info from talking to the dead or finding trap doors that lead to a basement full of alchemy supplies! 

I just wish I had more time to play.

I finally got the ability to talk to animals after 15 hours! It's dope. I now wish I didn't murder that squirrel for biting my ankle

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2