Update - Warhammer: Chaosbane may or may not scratch that "Diablo itch" (see posted reviews)

I've been meaning to post about this game for a while.  Warhammer: Chaosbane is essentially a "Diablo clone" set in the Warhammer Fantasy (the one that does NOT have space marines) universe which could be worth a look.  These are some impressions from the recent closed beta:

Warhammer: Chaosbane impressions: A slash-and-grab good time (Polygon)

I may not be familiar with Warhammer but I am familiar with the appeal of a good dungeon crawler and Chaosbane fulfilled those obligations with ease. I felt powerful, charging headlong into a fight with continually improving gear buffed by a well blended skill set. Even something as simple as dialing up a fast attack while I was still in a power attack animation delivered a crowd-clearing combo slap full of green damage numbers. I could feel myself picking up good fundamentals as I played more. I just wish I had a little more of a coach at the outset.

Warhammer: Chaosbane channels Diablo 3 in a four-player action RPG starring *gargles* Bragi Axebiter (GamesRadar+)

One feature unique to Chaosbane is the bloodlust system. Powerful foes drop bloody orbs, and if you can gather enough of them you can power up a meter that allows your special attacks to take on even more lethal forms. Playing as Elontir, we let out a gleeful gasp when we start to draw on his Bloodlust meter and spinning blades emerge from one of his already impressive projectile attacks. With drop-in-and-out co-op, difficulty that scales depending on the number of players, and attacks that can combine with pleasingly crimson results, this action RPG will be with us sooner than you can say 'the forces of Tzeentch cometh' this June 2019.

How Chaosbane streamlines Warhammer and Diablo for a modern audience (PCGamesN)

Even so, Chaosbane appears devotedly conventional. It’s plenty of fun, and that will only be underscored by coop play, but Eko’s effort isn’t striving to broaden the definition of ‘action-RPG’ by any significant measure. That needn’t be a bad thing, of course, and what’s here so far represents a promising hack-and-slash that’s both accessible and nuanced. Chaosbane promises to be a guiltless pleasure for anyone who ever fell in love with a Diablo game.

Warhammer: Chaosbane Preview – ARPG In The Warhammer Fantasy World (PC Invasion)

For now, though, it seems Warhammer: Chaosbane keeps things simple enough. The beta only gave a glimpse into the first act, culminating in a boss fight with a Great Unclean One. As a Warhammer Fantasy Battles fan, that was an absolute treat! As someone who’s played a number of ARPGs in the past, however, I’m worried that Warhammer: Chaosbane might be playing it too safe. Then again, it’s fairly early in the game, and there could be more in store. I’m certainly looking forward to everything that Eko Software could bring to the table.

Warhammer: Chaosbane is the Diablo clone I didn't know I needed (IGN)

After playing through the first few hours of Warhammer: Chaosbane, I'm definitely looking forward to continuing on. The moment-to-moment hacking and slashing is a lot of fun, as is speccing out your hero with a range of gear and abilities. If the game keeps up this level of engagement in the hours that follow, it'll be well worth a look when it launches on June 4.

Warhammer: Chaosbane Beta Impressions – Stabbin’ and Lootin’  (PlayStation Lifestyle)

Regardless of how shiny and new Warhammer: Chaosbane ends up feeling, the reality is that there aren’t a ton of games like this available for the PlayStation 4. There’s Diablo III itself, the upcoming Path of Exile, and Torchlight Frontiers coming, as far as bigger titles go. Marvel Heroes is tragically dead, and beyond that you’re stuck with re-releases like Titan Quest or low-budget (albeit respectable) fare such as The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. This is a niche that still has some room to fill on the PlayStation 4, and with actual Diablo 4 nowhere to be seen for a while yet, this could be great timing for this kind of experience. I’m looking forward to seeing more and finding out for myself if Eko Software is able to fully capitalize on this opportunity.

Warhammer: Chaosbane Impressions Based On 6-Hours Of Fiery Gameplay (PlayStation Universe)

Peeking behind the curtain of a game under development is always fun, and fans that pre-order the game are now able to get the same access we had. If you are a Warhammer fan, or a fan of Diablo-style dungeon crawlers, then we can confidently say that Chaosbane will definitely be worth your time. There aren’t that many games of this sort that carry this high level of polish.

Hands on with the Warhammer: Chaosbane Closed Beta (TheSixthAxis)

Chaosbane is pretty, the loot system shows promise, and the combat is great. Add to that the online four player co-op and some light Warhammer lore and there is definitely a good chance that the game will be worth picking up for fans of the genre.

Warhammer Chaosbane doesn’t wait to deliver good, gory fun (Digital Trends)

Leave it to a game in the Warhammer universe to break the mold. Chaosbane, a new action-RPG under development by BigBen (also responsible for the Warhammer 40K action-RPG Inquistior – Martyr) was happy to fling a horde of bounding baddies my way within the first 15 minutes, and I was equally pleased to slay them with a whirlwind of steel that sent my foes sailing through the air on gory contrails.

Warhammer Meets Diablo in Warhammer: Chaosbane (TrueAchievements)

As my time with the game came to a close, I was left with a lot to think about and I'm interested to see how the high-level skills and other classes play out. Betas have a way of answering some questions but often creating several more and that's where I am with Chaosbane. It wears its Diablo roots with pride, but more time will tell if it stands out on its own enough, even as I expect some would be happy if it doesn't.

Warhammer Chaosbane’ is a Polished Diablo-Style Dungeon Crawler, But Level Design Needs Work (Bloody Disgusting)

Based on this rather large morsel then, Warhammer: Chaosbane suitably impresses. It’s far more polished than I thought it would be, has oodles of satisfying combat and rounds it all off with decent loot and progression systems. Though not perfect on account of its level design and other minor seeming shortcomings, it still manages to confidently stake its claim as one of the most lustrous takes on the Warhammer license seen to date and I’m eager to see more, certainly.

Warhammer Chaosbane is Taking the Old World Back to Grimdark (TechRaptor)

Warhammer Chaosbane clearly aims at the co-operative market. Overlapping abilities and teamwork are really necessary to get the most out of the game. The narrative is engaging and captures the feel of Warhammer’s grimdark setting, which will make Warhammer fans feel right at home. Diablo and other action-RPG fans will also feel comfortable with how Chaosbane plays. This content in the first beta is only a brief look at how the full game has in store. We’re looking forward to seeing what other horrors await just around the next corner.

Early Impressions Of The Second Beta For 'Warhammer: Chaosbane' (Forbes)

With one exception, Chaosbane’s presentation is very good. The art nicely captures the Warhammer ethos, although I’d like to be able to zoom in from the overhead view to see environments and character models in more detail. The UI is well designed. A minimap in the upper right corner doesn’t intrude on gameplay and is set at the right zoom level for finding your way around dungeons. The game’s first quest hub does a good job of showing you where you need to go while also letting you easily see the places where you can go. The interface for accessing inventory, skills and whatnot takes a bit of getting used to but it's easy to use once you’ve grown accustomed to it. Thus far, I’ve enjoyed the ominous music.

Warhammer: Chaosbane Hands-On Impressions (SelectButton)

While the game is nearing release, it's got the makings of an enjoyable cooperative experience. However, I did come across a few different glitches, namely invisible walls and the Xbox One version has terrible loading times. The inventory system can be daunting at first but swiftly becomes second nature as you play through the game's chapters. The UI does change depending upon if you are using a controller or a keyboard and mouse. Given the scope of the Warhammer universe, I'm sure there will be plenty of upcoming content for the game, further expanding its life for years to come.

Warhammer Chaosbane is scratching my dungeon crawling itch fantastically (Critical Hit)

So far, I’ve had a blast in the beta. The combat feels great, the mindless action is cathartic and there’s a wealth of character development that I still have to dig into, like the favour system which looks like it can drastically alter how your chosen warrior evolves over time. I’ll be honest and admit that there’s nothing surprising about Warhammer: Chaosbane, but I’m a bigger fan of a game which is comfortable in its own skin and is unapologetic about the kind of experience that it wants to be.

Beta Impressions for Warhammer: Chaosbane (Games Xtreme)

The game has a lot of potential and I am sure there's loads of content in the full version, because there was a nice layer of it in the beta. I can't wait to explore more of the game's world and maps, and fight the various enemies of the Old World as they reveal their master plan through the story missions.

Beta gameplay:

Character classes:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr. I was like uhhhh didn't this already come out and got good/mediocre reviews?

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Really having a diablo craving, hope this can give me my fill

I was going to recommend Wolcen because its come a really long way from where it was when I got access from the kickstarter, but apparently its not very good according to steam reviews. 

Reviews courtesy of OpenCritic

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 72 average - 39% recommended

Critic Reviews

SelectButton - 9 / 10

An unabashedly fun title, Warhammer: Chaosbane slams itself into the nerve center of the hack-and-slash dungeon crawler genre dominated by titles like Diablo III, Path of Exile, and Victor Vran.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane is an absolute treat for fans of the Warhammer universe. If you like dungeon crawlers or Warhammer in general, you should definitely pick this up – especially if you don't have a phone. Be sure to check out the full review above for an exciting look at Warhammer: Chaosbane, which should absolutely be on your radar when it comes to Game of the Year considerations later in 2019. 

IGN - 8.7 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane can stand proudly alongside some of the best games that have used the foreboding, Gothic Old World as a setting.

MMORPG.com - 8.7 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane has several different modes and much higher difficulties that certainly give it an edge for replay-abilities sake. In addition to the main story mode, once completed they will gain access to Invasions, Boss-Rushes and Expeditions while also battling through 10 different difficulty levels. There is no question that Warhammer: Chaosbane has truly delivered on a high quality, full featured ARPG experience. For gamers looking for their next ARPG experience, you would be remiss if you passed this one by. 

GameSpace - 8.5 / 10

Chaosbane visually looks great except for some of the character models. The gameplay is a bit slow to start but picks up after completing the first few quests. Progression is a bit slower than similar games on the market but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The game has a good foundation to work from and is a lot of fun to play. If you are looking for a new hack n slash give this one a try, especially if you are a fan of Warhammer fantasy. As an added bonus, it can be played offline.

CGMagazine - 7.5 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane ultimately is a good game, though, a rather safe one, doing very little in terms of pushing the genre forward.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.3 / 10

An overall enjoyable tromp into the fantasy half of the Warhammer universe. Many similarities with Diablo 3 allow Chaosbane to differentiate itself from its other rivals.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.3 / 10

Even if it's not even in the same league of titles like Diablo III (or II, for that matters) or Path of Exile, Warhammer Chaosbane is a familiar but still quite entertaining take on the action RPG formula, marred only by dated visuals.

TechRaptor - 7 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane is a fun and satisfying hack-and-slash with enough combat variety and hokey charm to make this casual Diablo-like worth a look.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane is a good, solid dungeon crawling action RPG, but outside of a well executed Warhammer theme it's just not doing anything new. I feel bad for underselling Chaosbane, as I did enjoy my time with it. However, it's standing in the shadow of Diablo III, a titan that's been doing it for a long time and that you can't help but make comparisons with. Warhammer: Chaosbane is good and it could mature into something great, but right now it pales next to its daddy.

GameSkinny - 7 / 10 stars

While there are some noticeable limitations compared to other games in the genre, Chaosbane is a worthy addition to the ARPG realm for Warhammer fans.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

The mission design and story can grate at times, but this is a devilishly fun homage to Diablo 3 and Warhammer Fantasy you'll want to get your friends in on.Iain Harris

Cubed3 - 7 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane takes place in a forgettable world, which is annoyingly repetitive, and has more than a handful of rough edges. Despite that, the arcade-like, fast-paced action it offers, as well as its fresh take on the genre's standard classes, makes it easy to forget its flaws, especially when trying it out along with a bunch of friends - or total strangers. Definitely not a recommendation for everyone, but those who'll like it will surely stick around for more than a few hours.

DualShockers - 6.5 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane brings excellent class design and interesting builds, but forgets the variety in enemies, environments, and loot.

GameGrin - 6.5 / 10

Warhammer: Chaosbane is a very fun, addicting games but has a number of minor drawbacks that pile up.

PlayStation Universe - 6.5 / 10

Warhammer Chaosbane is a great start to a new ARPG, but it definitely feels like a "start". The skill system feels too restrictive, the loot drops come too slow, and the environments and enemies are repetitive. That said, the game still manages to be fun to play, but more development is needed to make Chaosbane one for the ages.

PC Invasion - 3 / 5 stars

Repetitive, meandering, and streamlined to a fault, Warhammer: Chaosbane lacks the depth to keep you invested well past the shallow endgame. It's a shame given the rich lore and enemy design.

Daily Mirror - 3 / 5 stars

This Diablo-like dungeon crawler is a fundamentally fun experience but lacks some polish in spots

Fextralife - 6 / 10

The gameplay, while addicting and fun with others, is bogged down by a real lack of motivation to keep playing.

Bloody Disgusting - 3 / 5 stars

Chaosbane does, however, just about work well enough. If you’re looking for something to plow through with a friend or two, then it’s perfectly serviceable. It just doesn’t have that hook to keep you coming back beyond the endgame. That could change of course with updates, but in the here and now, it’s a dry, if enjoyable, imitation of a superior title.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 6 / 10

When a game takes on the action-RPG style of Diablo, I don’t expect it to be as good as Diablo, and I certainly don’t expect it to be the exact same. I enjoy seeing what other developers do with the style to make it their own. Other than the skill trees, Warhammer: Chaosbane does not have much to separate it from Diablo, and what it does have sorely lacks depth. If more was put into the environments, if it had real side quests, or if it had variety at all, this could have been a fantastic Diablo-lite. As it is now, it’s a bit half-baked and feels rushed. Perhaps the forthcoming DLC will improve upon it, but it’s too much of a shame that we don’t have a more robust product now.

PC Gamer - 58 / 100

Mediocre and repetitive, there are far better options for action RPGs out there.

GameOctane - A-

Warhammer: Chaosbane has more depth than I expected. Expect to have hours of fun with this one. Grab a buddy and dive into some massive bosses and epic endgame content. Fans of the genre should be looking seriously at Warhammer: Chaosbane, and it's only going to get better during its life cycle!

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

So, if you feel like switching your brain off for a bit and doing some serviceable mulching then….maybe? I feel like Eko Software had a chance to bring back some of that dread and foreboding to the Diablo formula that Diablo 3 did away with. Warhammer is baroque and silly but it’s also rich with detail and tragic heroes, and Chaosbane plays the whole thing a bit straight, storywise. The environments, lavishly detailed as they are, lack any real sense of place. The forces of chaos themselves lack personality, or even much differentiation. It’s still very well made for what it is, though. Sometimes, frictionless is just what you need.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/13/2023 at 7:25 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

I did, and I quite enjoyed it. Never played it much past the end of the story though.

The chick with the bow would say something every time her shot cast a certain spell, and it got so fucking annoying i started to play the game on mute. 

But yeah, other than that, pretty fun.

I liked the mage and the two dwarfs the most.