Wired exclusive: What to expect from Sony next-gen ( will be backwards compatible at least with PS4, ray tracing, 3D audio, SSD, supports 8k, PSVR will work on new console)

SaysWho?

On 4/17/2019 at 6:59 PM, Brick said:

Isn't 8K actually beyond what the human eye would be able to notice a difference in when we're talking about commercial TVs, even if you have like a 75"? At a certain point it just becomes pointless to up the resolution. 

Not pointless but indistinguishable compared to looking out a window.

Sony was showing off loading times recently, demonstrating what Wired had talked about:

Turns out that SSDs are indeed much faster.

Of course, they're loading a PS4 game here, so you'd have to imagine that a PS5 game would have more significant assets and take longer, but still.

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

example of ray tracing that I found impressive 

I’m a bit confused, is this actually using RTX and/or Ray Tracing or is it just a “shader” faking it like the Witcher 3 “HDR Shader” mod? 

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Turns out that SSDs are indeed much faster.

Of course, they're loading a PS4 game here, so you'd have to imagine that a PS5 game would have more significant assets and take longer, but still.

That shows it can load a tech demo fast. But it's going to depend on the game. Destiny 2 on a NVME drive still has dreadful load times, I could imagine they'd be upwards of 2 minutes on a PS4.

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That shows it can load a tech demo fast. But it's going to depend on the game. Destiny 2 on a NVME drive still has dreadful load times, I could imagine they'd be upwards of 2 minutes on a PS4.

It's kinda a tech demo, but they were supposedly running the real Spider-Man game. I agree with you that it's not representative.

16 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The point isn’t just that it’s a SSD, but that Sony’s developed some propriety way to make the hardware communicate with SSDs more efficiently.

Part of the load times with games has to do with the data being "processed" -- which is why NVMEs are only a little bit faster than SSDs for a lot of games.

If games are developed with streaming from NVMEs being in the base, then they could optimize for faster loading.  In theory, these techniques would also carry forward to PCs that have games loaded on NVMEs.  I haven't heard of any Sony proprietary special sauce on this.

Sony has to be using the SSD as a caching system.  Most games, even on PC, are stored with compression to save on some disk space.  Decompressing the data becomes the bottleneck in load times.  But with an SSD cache system, when a game (or two or three depending on how big the SSD portion is) is called from main storage it will load fully uncompressed into the cache.  I really can't see games being permanently stored without some kind of compression, as that would eat up a lot of space.

10 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Part of the load times with games has to do with the data being "processed" -- which is why NVMEs are only a little bit faster than SSDs for a lot of games.

If games are developed with streaming from NVMEs being in the base, then they could optimize for faster loading.  In theory, these techniques would also carry forward to PCs that have games loaded on NVMEs.  I haven't heard of any Sony proprietary special sauce on this.

This is all we know, from the original unveiling:

At the moment, Sony won’t cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. That’s not all. “The raw read speed is important,“ Cerny says, “but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them. I got a PlayStation 4 Pro and then I put in a SSD that cost as much as the PlayStation 4 Pro—it might be one-third faster." As opposed to 19 times faster for the next-gen console, judging from the fast-travel demo.

Whether that includes NVME SSDs is anyone’s guess.  But technically speaking, those are available on the market now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Whether that includes NVME SSDs is anyone’s guess.  But technically speaking, those are available on the market now.

The thing that bugs me about that quote is that the SSD in a PS4 would obviously not be the HUGE upgrade that going to NVMe would be. It's still bound by SATA limitations and Cerny should know that.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:41 AM, crispy4000 said:

PCIe 4.0 isn't on the market yet, and will double a PC's SSD available bandwidth.