Wired exclusive: What to expect from Sony next-gen ( will be backwards compatible at least with PS4, ray tracing, 3D audio, SSD, supports 8k, PSVR will work on new console)

SaysWho?

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Side note: I still question if a focus on raytracing will be the the best use of next-gen hardware.  The option will be there, which is good.  But I could see some games forgoing it entirely to put more resources into other aspects of the visual make up.

Hopefully not 'native 8k' though.  That'd be just as much of a waste.

I agree with you completely.

33 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Why would it be considered conservative when 8K and Ray Tracing is being mentioned?  

I suspect it will support 8k output, but no games will render in 8k.  My GTX-1070 technically supports ray tracing.

2 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Eurogamer has an article that lays out how ray tracing works on a 10-series GeForce card.  Given the cost, I would be surprised if AMD was putting custom "RT-like" cores in the console NAVI chip.

A non-RT GPU can do raytracing -- but I think this is still a console generation away from becoming the primary rendering technique.

Yeah I was hoping that their mention of it would mean AMD has custom hardware plans, similar to RTX, because otherwise I'm skeptical about how much they can embrace it.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

Ray tracing? Christ, I remember when 'progressive scan' was the dweeb talk de jure that I had to know about. Stop making me learn about this stupid sounding tech!

As far as tech names go, "Ray Tracing" is a very descriptive name and not what I would put under the "stupid sounding tech" category. (It's also a really really old term. One of the earliest computer graphics terms)

6 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah I was hoping that their mention of it would mean AMD has custom hardware plans, similar to RTX, because otherwise I'm skeptical about how much they can embrace it.

I am confident that AMD will continue to claim that their hardware is ray tracing compatible.  And I suspect they will suggest that their new architecture has been optimized for ray tracing.  But....   I suspect that they won't have dedicated RT cores like Nvidia, and also won't have the same real world performance.

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

I am confident that AMD will continue to claim that their hardware is ray tracing compatible.  And I suspect they will suggest that their new architecture has been optimized for ray tracing.  But....   I suspect that they won't have dedicated RT cores like Nvidia, and also won't have the same real world performance.

I fear the same and that would be unfortunate :( I really want AMD to be a strong competitor.

3 hours ago, mikechorney said:

I think people are being too myopic when it comes to flash memory.

I think it's much more likely that Sony is putting a relatively small flash memory "cache" (64 GB?) on the MB, rather than a full-blown SSD.  This would let the game put most of the in-game loading content in an easily accessible spot -- but be much more affordable then trying to put in a 2TB SSD.

I can't imagine that an AMD sourced GPU will be very proficient at ray-tracing -- particularly at the price point they are/should be targeting with this console.  A 2080Ti struggles with ray tracing ATM.

Yeah, I immediately started thinking it would be something similar to Intel's Optane. Looking at tests like this one and an optane cache (of sufficient size) with a spinning disk can well outperform an SSD. Putting a large HDD and some sort of solid state cache makes a lot of sense for a console.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

so what are we taking then 4000-5000mb/s in a $500 console?

i doubt that very much. 

Ha! That's a huge no. Sony invented a new storage platform that's faster and also cheaper than what's currently on the market? Did AMD come out of nowhere and beat Intel at what they've been working on with Optane? I'm willing to bet we're just talking standard NVMe which is faster than any SSD running on a SATA BUS.

12 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Ha! That's a huge no. Sony invented a new storage platform that's faster and also cheaper than what's currently on the market? Did AMD come out of nowhere and beat Intel at what they've been working on with Optane? I'm willing to bet we're just talking standard NVMe which is faster than any SSD running on a SATA BUS.

Yeah, that’s why I scoffed at the idea Cerny would say or try to make us believe their SSD would have more bandwidth than “any” SSD for PC. Not when the PC can have the Samsung 970 Evo @ 3,500mb/s with a $500+ price tag on that performance. 

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol this is the single most important question to me. 

Here I am on the verge of picking up a 4k blu-ray player. Not just like an xbone but something really good not only with 4k blu-ray but bluray and DVD. Seems like that tall order is a $500 and up player. Then again I haven't run to pick one up yet.

Yeah I fully expect both consoles to have at least 100GB of SSD caching, because even though SSD prices are falling they are still way more expensive than mechanical drives and games are going to get bigger in size.  A 1GB SSD isn't going to be enough, and a 2TB SSD will not be cost effective.  However a 2TB size needs to be standard on the premium model consoles.

5 hours ago, Brick said:

What's the point of 8K if no one even has an 8K display? Hopefully it has a UHD player built in at least. Would be nice to start using the full potential of my 4K TV and see some super crisp movies. 

NHK in Japan is targeting to launch 8k broadcasts next year, and its part of the HDMI 2.1 spec.  It probably doesn't cost that much to support.

One would anticipate that 8k will be mainstream by 2023/2025, which would be within the console lifetime of the PS5.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

It would probably sell pretty well at this price since people are buying phones that cost double. 

Smartphone sales are slowing down because of that though. Also those smartphones are paid for over 24 installment payments not in one shot.

6 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Am I the only one who is really excited that it's PSVR backwards compatible? That seems really huge for the VR market and I think it will boost sales of PSVR this gen with people knowing they can use it on their next console.

I'm big time excited. I've heard from some online who weren't sure if they should purchase one now since next genis about to begin. Now that's more confidence, especially with more VR announcements already made those year.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I guess that is true. I have only had one smartphone and I didn't even pay for it. 

Yup we have reached "peak smartphone". Basically there are no more massive gains to encourage upgrading. 200-300 smarphones are good enough for most people. Plus if you have a high end smartphone the newer models arent worth upgrading to. Another hit atleast in the US is that companies have stopped subsidizing phones. Ypu used to get a high end smartphone for 200-300 dollars because you'd be a discount for taking a two year contract. Now contracts are gone and plan prices are lower but you have to pay for the phone in installments.

Take all that into account and while I wouldnt mind a Galaxy S10+ there is no way I'd upgrade from a S9+ for 1k.

22 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Am I the only one who is really excited that it's PSVR backwards compatible? That seems really huge for the VR market and I think it will boost sales of PSVR this gen with people knowing they can use it on their next console.

I agree. The biggest downside to PSVR compared to the other headsets was the possibility that it won’t be compatible with PS5. Now that it is, I plan on giving it to my brother when PSVR2 comes out.

This also makes me confident that whatever changes Sony will make with the PSVR 2 like new controllers or camera setup that it will be compatible with the original headset which will allow people to upgrade more cheaply than buying the whole PSVR2 package. 

25 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I agree. The biggest downside to PSVR compared to the other headsets was the possibility that it won’t be compatible with PS5. Now that it is, I plan on giving it to my brother when PSVR2 comes out.

This also makes me confident that whatever changes Sony will make with the PSVR 2 like new controllers or camera setup that it will be compatible with the original headset which will allow people to upgrade more cheaply than buying the whole PSVR2 package. 

The largest downside to PSVR is the move controller.

52 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I'm glad that everyone that bought one will be rewarded by continuing to get games that work with the headset, but I'm personally holding out on PSVR until they update the hardware. The controllers in particular are just not great. I think there's a good chance the next revision has inside out tracking and more natural controllers that were actually built for VR.

Still, I'm mostly just glad that Sony continues to put effort behind the medium and seems to be continually putting out worthwhile games. I'd be all over Falcon Age if I had one.