Shazam was great.

Bacon

Love the monster design too. Like, best looking monsters I have seen in a movie. A surprisingly violent movie, but still great. Glad I went to see it. Might even buy it when it comes out. I really like that scene at the start with the Christmas music and shit. The only standout issue I had was at one point the movie did some slo-mo which looked almost like a frame rate dip and it was very ugly. Other than that I didn't have any issues. 

I mean, it is better than at least half of the MCU, if not more. 

Iron Man (2008)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Thor (2011)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

The Avengers (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Black Panther (2018)

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

It is, without a doubt, better than everything that is crossed out, and is at least equal to the rest of the movies. 

• Guillotine 2

On 4/13/2019 at 9:35 PM, Bacon said:

I mean, it is better than at least half of the MCU, if not more. 

Iron Man (2008)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Thor (2011)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

The Avengers (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Black Panther (2018)

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

It is, without a doubt, better than everything that is crossed out, and is at least equal to the rest of the movies. 

'without a doubt' is a stretch.  Everyone has their own preferences.  You would get a lot of arguments saying it is better than Civil War.  Civil War is considered by some to be Marvels high water mark.

I agree that Shazam was enjoyable, but it's not better than half the MCU movies.

It was kinda weird in that it felt like a kids movie... but had that one scene that was crazy over-the-top violent and completely out of place.

My 6 year old really wanted to see Shazam, and has skipped a few recent Marvel movies because he thought they might be a little too scary or intense to see in the theater (his choice, not mine... I'm pretty lax about these things) and it turns out that Shazam was easily way more scary and violent than the last few MCU movies he chose to skip...

3 hours ago, johnny said:

Shazam is definitely better than half of the MCU but saying it’s better than Ragnarok is heresy 

If you remember, I wasn't the biggest fan of Ragnarok. I have come to like it more but still not in my top 5 or anything. 

I really enjoyed it. My wife and I are big supporters of a local group home and some of the relational dynamics of the kids really hit hard. It does feel a little strange in how it whips back and forth between family comedy and super-intense ultra violence. I think some of that is intentional as the main character bounces between being a young boy and an adult man...but it wasn’t crafted well enough to make the two sides of the film clearly thematic.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, ort said:

I agree that Shazam was enjoyable, but it's not better than half the MCU movies.

It was kinda weird in that it felt like a kids movie... but had that one scene that was crazy over-the-top violent and completely out of place.

My 6 year old really wanted to see Shazam, and has skipped a few recent Marvel movies because he thought they might be a little too scary or intense to see in the theater (his choice, not mine... I'm pretty lax about these things) and it turns out that Shazam was easily way more scary and violent than the last few MCU movies he chose to skip...

I think it was aimed at kids, interesting that he felt that way.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I really enjoyed it. My wife and I are big supporters of a local group home and some of the relational dynamics of the kids really hit hard. It does feel a little strange in how it whips back and forth between family comedy and super-intense ultra violence. I think some of that is intentional as the main character bounces between being a young boy and an adult man...but it wasn’t crafted well enough to make the two sides of the film clearly thematic.

I feel like the biggest oddity of the switching between a young boy and adult man was that in his Shazam form Billy seemed younger than he was when he was just Billy. Zach Levi (who was having a ton of fun) often felt like he was playing an 8 year old filled with endless wonder, while Billy was kinda world weary for his age (which makes sense given who he was)

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I think it was aimed at kids, interesting that he felt that way.

I feel like the biggest oddity of the switching between a young boy and adult man was that in his Shazam form Billy seemed younger than he was when he was just Billy. Zach Levi (who was having a ton of fun) often felt like he was playing an 8 year old filled with endless wonder, while Billy was kinda world weary for his age (which makes sense given who he was)

I had no problems with that and I think it had to do more with vulnerability of being a regular teenager. I think the giddiness (when he becomes Shazam) was that he could be this alter ego (and at the time) not fear of being physically hurt by anyone or anything. Billy could bruise and bleed, be shot dead, and be seen as another poor adopted kid thrown into yet another adoptive family. Being Shazam was a childhood dream come true (at the time not for him) and he was bullet proof, fast, and invulnerable. Until he meets our bad guy he had no problems and I would probably of done the silly things he does if I had that power at his age. His silliness you slowly see dwindle and mature when he realizes that he could be still be hurt, even with the powers given to him. 

Overall i I enjoyed the flick, and they were able to hide most of Toronto from the movie. Living so close to it (actually be there tomorrow) I just hate how they would use iconic buildings and try to pass them off as something else. They just kind of take me out of the movie. It was a fun movie but surprised at the some of the scary creatures. As they scared some of the younger kids in my showing. The 3D was also pretty good too and will be getting when released on disc

On 4/16/2019 at 12:37 PM, TwinIon said:

I can agree that as Shazam he did seem more immature than as Billy....which is especially confusing as one of Shazam's powers is supposed to be the wisdom of Solomon. Apparently Solomon must have been kind of a dumbass. :p