Gamer who recruited "swatter" in hoax that turned deadly pleads guilty

SaysWho?

An Ohio gamer upset over a $1.50 bet in an online game pleaded guilty Wednesday to asking a prankster to make a bogus emergency call, then tried to destroy his text communications so as to hide his involvement when he realized from news reports that the antic had gotten a Kansas man killed by police.

The death of Andrew Finch, 28, in Wichita drew national attention to the practice of "swatting," a form of retaliation in which someone reports a false emergency to get authorities, particularly a SWAT team, to descend on an address.

Authorities said Viner recruited Tyler R. Barriss to "swat" an opponent in Wichita over a $1.50 bet stemming from the game Call of Duty: WWII. But the address they used was old.

Barriss, a 26-year-old Los Angeles man with an online reputation for "swatting," called police from Los Angeles on Dec. 28, 2017, to falsely report a shooting and kidnapping at that Wichita address. Finch, who was not involved in the video game or dispute, was shot by police when he opened the door.

The intended target in Wichita, Shane Gaskill, 20, is charged as a co-conspirator in the case. Authorities said Viner provided Barriss with an address for Gaskill that Gaskill had previously given to Viner. Prosecutors alleged that when Gaskill noticed Barriss was following him on Twitter, he gave Barriss that same old address and taunted him to "try something."

The federal indictment detailed Viner's panic in text communications after he realized someone had gotten killed and the ensuing investigation would likely unveil his Twitter conversations related to the prank. A person identified in the indictment only as J.D. texted him saying that hopefully Viner didn't say anything stupid.

"I did, I literally said you're gonna be swatted. Not thinking at all, so I'm going to prison," Viner texted back.

When J.D. apparently tried to reassure him by pointing out that Viner himself didn't call the hoax in, Viner replied, "Does t (sic) even matter?????? I was involved I asked him to do it in the first place," according to the indictment.

The indictment also alleged that a forensic examination of Viner's iPhone recovered his deleted outgoing messages to unknown persons, including one in which Viner allegedly wrote: "I was involved in someone's death."

Barriss was sentenced last week to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to 51 counts for making fake emergency calls and threats around the country, including the deadly hoax call in Kansas. 

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

How about the cop that actually pulled the trigger, I'm sure that he's gonna be....oh, that's right - nothing will happen to him.

People were talking about this a bit when the shooting first happened, but this discussion has really died down just like the rest of the "cop kills wrong/innocent person," posts. That and even if a cop gets charged they get away scot-free. 

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

How about the cop that actually pulled the trigger, I'm sure that he's gonna be....oh, that's right - it was decided a while back that nothing will happen to him.

3 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

What they did was wrong but the death wouldn’t have happened if the cops weren’t trigger happy

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Yes, the caller should be punished, but it does seem like there's a whole "police are killing people" issue here.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

People were talking about this a bit when the shooting first happened, but this discussion has really died down just like the rest of the "cop kills wrong/innocent person," posts. That and even if a cop gets charged they get away scot-free. 

Thank you.

After reading the OT I thought to myself I was going to be the only one to think, "umm...wait...excuse me, but..."

1 hour ago, Man of Culture said:

Not really. It's expected that cops are going to be on high alert and ready to draw when they're answer a call about an armed and dangerous person with hostages.

Sounds like a situation they should have some sort of way of confirming before going in ready to blast a motherfucker sitting at his computer who is startled to see people pointing shotguns in his face, which is the only response you can reasonably expect from literally anybody that hasn't had it happen multiple times or isn't outright expecting it in advance.

I mean, think about it, even if that WAS the situation, what if that was one of the fucking hostages for fuck's Christ?!

1 minute ago, Man of Culture said:

But that isn't what happened. They told the guy to keep his hands where they could see them and he kept fiddling at his waist and pockets. You don't do that, even at a routine traffic stop. Part of this is shitheads who swat people, part of this is twitchy cops with shit training and little accountability and part of this is people simply not knowing how to behave around police.

"Not knowing how to behave around police" should never, in any circumstance, unless you're literally pulling out a weapon (and we have multiple cases of cops STILL not shooting if you ARE brandishing a weapon!), result in you dying. That's some straight-up bullshit.

2 hours ago, Man of Culture said:

Not really. It's expected that cops are going to be on high alert and ready to draw when they're answer a call about an armed and dangerous person with hostages. Context matters here. That being said, yes, the fact that we can essentially contact the police, give them false information and have them reliably behave in a hostile manner is definitely a problem.

High alert, lol. Exactly, use your fucking head. Since when did high alert mean be a fucking moron:silly: 

59 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

But that isn't what happened. They told the guy to keep his hands where they could see them and he kept fiddling at his waist and pockets. You don't do that, even at a routine traffic stop. Part of this is shitheads who swat people, part of this is twitchy cops with shit training and little accountability and part of this is people simply not knowing how to behave around police.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kWTZW_1547881441

I get your point but the victim in this case is no way at fault.  He went from a normal night at home to an unexpected commotion outside. Police are super far away screaming with a spot light in his face. He had no idea what was going on. 

6 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

hold officers accountable for criminal actions more often than we already do 

My point exactly.

i sadly believe that some, not all of these cases aren’t officers fearing for their life rather have a hard on to kill.  I believe there is some fear but the other possibility is just that.

as for the fear, I wonder if countries without the obsession with guns have similar stats.  Even if the call is ‘armed and dangerous’, if u aren’t dealing with ppl armed to the tits on a regular basis, perhaps when u do u may act with a clearer head (dunno, just spitballing). Plus, there are many ways in this senario to better assess the situation.  Training better seems to definitely be in order 

The situation in question SHOULD have involved a tactical response because then a hostage negotiator would be present along with the SRT and they would have quickly determined that there was no hostage situation at all.

Instead, an ordinary patrolman was the first responder with the tragically murderous results.