Have you ever had a job not pay you for hours you worked?

Remarkableriots

Started back in April when we got a new short term manager. He made a couple mistakes shorting me 4 hours and 80 shift differential. Figured they would fix it but they didn't. Next paycheck they shorted me 30 hours and 40 shift differential. The regional supervisor came and took our timecards which showed I worked those hours. A couple paychecks later we have a 3rd new manager who shorted me 8 overtime hours. The manager knew he missed entering those hours I wrote down and said he would fix the entire issue right away. A few days later they tell me to bring in those pay stubs so they can get it sorted out. It has been over a month later after turning those in and they still will not give me a answer about what is going on. Have any of you ever had a issue like that at work?

Shift differential is $1 per hour extra for working graveyard shift. I definitely can't afford to quit when I'm barely living paycheck to paycheck especially after they raised my rent $125 a month. 

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

You lost 30 hours out of one paycheck? That’s insane. I would start looking for a new job. 

Yeah I worked 96 hours in two weeks and they paid me 50 regular hours and 16 overtime. First week I worked 52 and following 44 so it should of been 80 regular hours and 16 overtime.

57 minutes ago, The def star said:

If you contact a lawyer you might have a case. If you want your money you contact the better business bureau.

The BBB is a horseshit organization that companies can "buy" their ratings from.

This is a labor legal case through and through.

@Remarkableriots - if you find an attorney willing to take the case, I'll help with the legal bills if they're unable to do it pro bono.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The BBB is a horseshit organization that companies can "buy" their ratings from.

This is a labor legal case through and through.

Eh, I have gone through the BBB and have had success. But I would definitely go with a lawyer on this one as it means you can get more money :p

2 minutes ago, The def star said:

Eh, I have gone through the BBB and have had success. But I would definitely go with a lawyer on this one as it means you can get more money :p

You went through the BBB as a consumer, right?  

This is a labor situation that's typically out of the BBB's purview.

Edit: I just checked:

The BBB does not examine the following issues:

Employer-employee disputes

You're in Arizona right? You might wanna start here: https://www.azica.gov/labor-wage-claims-main-page

Either way you go, you definitely want to document everything. Ideally you can make copies of the relevant timecards/etc but writing everything down (even just writing an email detailing what you have so far and sending it to yourself, and then adding new information as it becomes available) would be a good fallback option for that, written contemporaneous records (emailing it to yourself is an easy way to get a timestamp trail) count for a lot more than you might think.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

You're in Arizona right? You might wanna start here: https://www.azica.gov/labor-wage-claims-main-page

Either way you go, you definitely want to document everything. Ideally you can make copies of the relevant timecards/etc but writing everything down (even just writing an email detailing what you have so far and sending it to yourself, and then adding new information as it becomes available) would be a good fallback option for that, written contemporaneous records (emailing it to yourself is an easy way to get a timestamp trail) count for a lot more than you might think.

No I live in Nevada and I unfortunately don't have any records of those shifts. The regional supervisor came to our location and switched us to a call in system instead of writing it down on a timecard. He took all the timecards that had those shifts when he left which I thought was bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

No I live in Nevada and I unfortunately don't have any records of those shifts. The regional supervisor came to our location and switched us to a call in system instead of writing it down on a timecard. He took all the timecards that had those shifts when he left which I thought was bullshit. 

You need to speak with a labor attorney.

That sucks man, I hope you can get it all sorted out quickly. 

A year or so ago I had a situation where I was doing some IT work for a small medical clinic on the side here in Germany, and the doctor decided she wanted to stiff me for a few hours I worked. I tried talking to her about it and when she refused to budge I just quit, because a) I didn't really need the job, b) it wasn't that much money, maybe around €50 or so, and c) she was annoying to work for anyway.

It really annoyed me that she wasn't willing to follow our agreement, and before this, for no reason at all she had bought two new routers for €300 each (which she later returned when she realized they didn't actually help anything) but she refuses to pay me the €50 that she actually owed me for work I had done? Meh, I don't need that kind of aggravation for such poor pay.

I realize quitting may not be an option for you at this time, but a lawyer sounds like a great idea to me. 

When I was 17 I got a second job delivering pizza for some mom and pop place. They never paid me my hourly wages, but I did make s decent amount in tips in cash every night so I put up with their oh we’re fixing it on the next check we promise bs for two months before I just didn’t show up one day. I never did anything about it.

Fucking Christ, man! Get a lawyer!

As for myself, no. But I did work in academia for a number of years, so it's kind of similar except I agreed to it. :p 

EDIT: Just saw your latter reply. If they still end up dragging their feet,  get back on that lawyer plan :p 

sure. back when i was an apprentice in the telecom industry learning to be a lineman and fiber splicer... i worked for a non-union shop. they paid $10/hr, no overtime, no PTO, no benefits. Just time worked. I would constantly work 60+hr shifts and would get a flat $600 paycheck (before taxes, in NY too). Now there was nothing I agreed to that stated this is what they did, nor did they tell me that when I took the job. However, I bit the bullet and dealt with it bc I was learning a trade in a niche market. Wound up spending years like that..but eventually worked my way up to a Foreman level by busting my ass and basically not being a bumbling idiot. I then fought for proper wages for my guys and was able to get it done. The company finally at least paid overtime. Still no PTO or benefits though. Towards the end of the company's life before they got bought out they finally got us benefits (they sucked, but it was something at least). 

New company was legit. Full bennies, PTO, etc... but now they only paid salary. I will admit they gave me a slight bump to compensate b/c I was threatening to walk..but the first 2 years of that company I made less than the last 2 years of the first company. BUT HEY, it was perfectly legal now!! Salaried employment to me, is a bunch of fucking bullshit. Its just another way for corporation to get over on their employees by not having to pay them what they rightfully earned. So with the new company I still worked 60+hrs a week, but now didnt get paid for the last 20hrs at all. lol. 

That company then got bought out and I was offered a job in engineering. I have no one working for me anymore, so Im only responsible for myself. My bosses work in other cities and I rarely see or hear from them. I come and go as I please, work a few days from home a week, and never ever work more than 40hrs a week...and I make a shit ton more money. So in the end, buckling down and sticking with it paid off. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2018 at 11:16 PM, gamer.tv said:

Yep, though I've also been the Manager that incorrectly paid.  Both instances, it was resolved either next day, or depending on the amount in the following weekly paycheck.

My first manager at this job would do that. If hours were missing he just put them on the next paycheck or had corporate send a check the following week. This problem happened after he left for a better job and we had 3 different managers come and go over a couple months time period. 

On 7/7/2018 at 3:49 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Looks like the situation will be fixed Monday. The regional supervisor will be coming into town Monday to figure it out and cut a check. I was shocked when my boss sent me that text.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:34 AM, legend said:

Fucking Christ, man! Get a lawyer!

As for myself, no. But I did work in academia for a number of years, so it's kind of similar except I agreed to it. :p 

EDIT: Just saw your latter reply. If they still end up dragging their feet,  get back on that lawyer plan :p 

And even if you don't sue this time I'd also make sure to file away that text and any other available documentation (I know you said you can't make copies of the actual timecards or anything like that), along with notes about what happened this time. Again, writing it up as an email with a screenshot of the text and emailing everything to yourself should probably be sufficient.

This way even if you don't lawyer up this time, if this happens again it'll help to have contemporaneous documentation showing that they have a history of failing to pay you on time.

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

And even if you don't sue this time I'd also make sure to file away that text and any other available documentation (I know you said you can't make copies of the actual timecards or anything like that), along with notes about what happened this time. Again, writing it up as an email with a screenshot of the text and emailing everything to yourself should probably be sufficient.

This way even if you don't lawyer up this time, if this happens again it'll help to have contemporaneous documentation showing that they have a history of failing to pay you on time.

I don't have the text anymore. I have been using the free TextMe app on Fire HD and it kept shutting down after a couple seconds since Thursday. I erased all the texts I had stored to see if I could get it to work again after clearing catche, clearing storage and uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. 

59 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I don't have the text anymore. I have been using the free TextMe app on Fire HD and it kept shutting down after a couple seconds since Thursday. I erased all the texts I had stored to see if I could get it to work again after clearing catche, clearing storage and uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. 

Well, still do the rest of what I said, notes written at the time the problem occurred will count for something if you have to get a lawyer involved.

33 minutes ago, Zarich said:

When I read the title I though.. sure.. I am a manager.  We never get paid the hours we work, but your case sounds terrible.

I've had a few managers with that problem where they got paid less per hour with how many hours they had to work.

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

Well, still do the rest of what I said, notes written at the time the problem occurred will count for something if you have to get a lawyer involved.

I will definitely do that and thank you for the advice.