Last Week Tonight WWE

I started watching a minute or two before you posted. This was a fantastic segment, and I love when someone who does this clearly has an appreciation for the product and actually watched.

There are a lot of stereotypes for wrestling fans, but the fanbase is diverse and international, and all the ones I speak with, while disappointed if a wrestler is out due to a concussion, prefer they get better considering early deaths and retirements among wrestlers. Seeing Scott Hall make his Hall of Fame speech coherently -- yes, I know that sounds backhanded, but it's true -- was awesome, and hearing him share stories and insight is great. Hearing Bret Hart speaking excitedly (excited by his standards) about ring psychology is great. They break their backs all year, and Vince, as entertaining and amazing as his in-ring character is and how great he made the organization in the late 90s/early 2000s, seems like a dick.

18 minutes ago, Slug said:

Watched it this morning.  Well done episode.  As a lapsed wrestling fan, this actually kinda makes me want to watch again.

I'd say you're not missing much (story wise, as there are plenty of talented people wrestling there), but years ago I started watching again in 2009 and 2010, and 2010 was "There is no God" levels of despair, so you may enjoy it now if I could get through that.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'd say you're not missing much (story wise, as there are plenty of talented people wrestling there), but years ago I started watching again in 2009 and 2010, and 2010 was "There is no God" levels of despair, so you may enjoy it now if I could get through that.

I stopped watching way back when the story was the first time that they "split the roster" and had a "draft" between the two main shows.  That's when I was like...alright I'm out.  I'm willing to check it out though.  Which show has most of the lucha guys on it?

WWE response:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/wwe-hits-back-john-olivers-last-week-tonight-wrestling-takedown-1198510

"John Oliver is clearly a clever and humorous entertainer, however, the subject matter covered in his WWE segment is no laughing matter," the organization said in the statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "Prior to airing, WWE responded to his producers refuting every point in his one-sided presentation. John Oliver simply ignored the facts. The health and wellness of our performers is the single most important aspect of our business, and we have a comprehensive, longstanding Talent Wellness program. We invite John Oliver to attend WrestleMania this Sunday to learn more about our company."

1 hour ago, Slug said:

I stopped watching way back when the story was the first time that they "split the roster" and had a "draft" between the two main shows.  That's when I was like...alright I'm out.  I'm willing to check it out though.  Which show has most of the lucha guys on it?

The ratings started to decline in 2001, but if you look at each Raw/Smackdown, that's exactly the point many checked out, too.

3 hours ago, Slug said:

"the network" meaning I can't just watch 'em on TV?

Correct. 205 Live is their cruiser weight show.

2 hours ago, Slug said:

WWE response:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/wwe-hits-back-john-olivers-last-week-tonight-wrestling-takedown-1198510

"John Oliver is clearly a clever and humorous entertainer, however, the subject matter covered in his WWE segment is no laughing matter," the organization said in the statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "Prior to airing, WWE responded to his producers refuting every point in his one-sided presentation. John Oliver simply ignored the facts. The health and wellness of our performers is the single most important aspect of our business, and we have a comprehensive, longstanding Talent Wellness program. We invite John Oliver to attend WrestleMania this Sunday to learn more about our company."

Counter-point: then make your wrestlers actual employees, give them a retirement plan, health care, paid vacation, etc. But, oh, no, he "ignored the facts". This has been an issue for a LONG time, and just because WWE has "gotten better at it" doesn't mean they're good. :rolleyes:

This makes me worry that outside opinions are going to lean more towards "jaded ex-employees are going to agree with this segment only", which is bullshit. CM Punk tweeted his love for it, so there's bound to be someone who's gonna say he only likes it because the WWE burned him =/ Hopefully fans know Vince is a dick and his wife is a horrible person who keep their current and former employees in a basement of fear and oppression. And I bet this kind of newsworthy segment won't get the support it should because it's not really anything new to the people like us who have followed behind-the-scenes stories for years, and other fans won't care enough... Sux.

What I'd really be curious to hear is what do employees who work in other companies feel about it? Is it legit across the board, or just specific to Vince and family?

11 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

This makes me worry that outside opinions are going to lean more towards "jaded ex-employees are going to agree with this segment only", which is bullshit. CM Punk tweeted his love for it, so there's bound to be someone who's gonna say he only likes it because the WWE burned him =/ Hopefully fans know Vince is a dick and his wife is a horrible person who keep their current and former employees in a basement of fear and oppression. And I bet this kind of newsworthy segment won't get the support it should because it's not really anything new to the people like us who have followed behind-the-scenes stories for years, and other fans won't care enough... Sux.

What I'd really be curious to hear is what do employees who work in other companies feel about it? Is it legit across the board, or just specific to Vince and family?

Part of what's impressive about the segment is there's plenty of Last Week Tonight fans who aren't wrestling fans but do understand bad workplace conditions. WWE is responding due to mainstream attention.

13 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Looks like Rey Mysterio just got sidelined with an ankle injury. Just in time for Vince to prove how wrong John Oliver is, lol

I am listening to Busted Open and Bully Ray seems to make me feel that it won't be the case. 

It seems like the top guys get preferential treatment. Really hard to say since it sounds like the contracts can be negotiated. 

4 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I am listening to Busted Open and Bully Ray seems to make me feel that it won't be the case. 

It seems like the top guys get preferential treatment. Really hard to say since it sounds like the contracts can be negotiated. 

Yes, the top guys have their travel paid for among other things. 

51 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, the top guys have their travel paid for among other things. 

He seemed to write most the segment. Which i found annoying. My initial response is you are Bully Ray of course you can negotiate your contract.

33 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

He seemed to write most the segment. Which i found annoying. My initial response is you are Bully Ray of course you can negotiate your contract.

Also, actual employees with actual benefits can negotiate contracts as well... so... what’s his argument?