Wolfenstein: Youngblood (co-op spinoff featuring BJ's daughters) to release on 26 July 2019, update - level design is "similar to Dishonored"

Commissar SFLUFAN

Looks like Wolfenstein!

I don't mind female protagonists (I actually prefer them most of the time), but as far as stereotypical female-bro-shooter-badasses go, the "terror twins" are about as video game cliche as it gets. Hopefully every cringe-worthy moment was in that trailer and the rest of the game is just shoot-em-up goodness.

• 1 month later...

Wolfenstein: Youngblood Has A Lot More Activities Than Previous Games, Level Design Similar To Dishonored

Wolfenstein: Youngblood is looking like it’s going to be a pretty different experience from MachineGames’ previous Wolfenstein titles. Not only because it’s set several years after The New Colossus and features different protagonists, but also because it’s promising a different brand of gameplay, one that’s much more open ended and allows for greater freedom in terms of exploration and side activities.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

I don't mind female protagonists (I actually prefer them most of the time), but as far as stereotypical female-bro-shooter-badasses go, the "terror twins" are about as video game cliche as it gets. Hopefully every cringe-worthy moment was in that trailer and the rest of the game is just shoot-em-up goodness.

I usually prefer female protagonists in video games as well because a lot of the time I find them to be less douche-y than male protagonists, but the ones in Wolfenstein: Youngblood seem like typical male video game protagonists just with female skins. That trailer has turned me off from the game since every non-gameplay moment was cringe-worthy, and I couldn't endure that throughout the entire length of the game despite it probably having fun gameplay.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I might pick this up to play with the spouse. I've loved Wolfenstein since the reboot and he enjoyed all three of them.

I personally like Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein (2009) more than the current gen Wolfenstein games. Have you played them? The current gen ones are good, but I don't like them quite as much as others do.

6 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I personally like Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein (2009) more than the current gen Wolfenstein games. Have you played them? The current gen ones are good, but I don't like them quite as much as others do.

No, they didn't look too appealing, tbh. Plus, they're rather old at this point.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

I usually prefer female protagonists in video games as well because a lot of the time I find them to be less douche-y than male protagonists, but the ones in Wolfenstein: Youngblood seem like typical male video game protagonists just with female skins. That trailer has turned me off from the game since every non-gameplay moment was cringe-worthy, and I couldn't endure that throughout the entire length of the game despite it probably having fun gameplay.

They're both much better games I think. Return... especially was really good and '09 Wolf was bizarrely underrated as far as I'm concerned. 

I already gushed about it but Dishonored 2 is absolutely one of the best games I've ever played, and it didn't click with me the first time I played it.

Dishonored, Prey, and Wolfenstein: The New Order are probably on my shortlist for my favorite games this gen, so this matchup of Machinegames and Arkane is a match made in heaven for me. 

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Honestly, I had trouble getting into Dishonored. 

I did as well. Based on what I played of it I found it to be a little overrated, but I liked it enough to give it another chance in the future. I also have Dishonored 2, but I haven't played it yet.

Dishonored is one of those "when it clicks..." games, at least it was for me.

I got the first one when it came out and bounced right off it, tried again a year or two later and realized I didn't just how damn flexible it is and was totally impressed. Talk about emergent gameplay. 

Playing it as a straight-up, slow sneaking type Stealth game is what soured me on it first, it seems rigid and boring that way. Turns out...you can kind of do whatever the fuck you want once you gain a few abilities and shit gets wild if you use your imagination. The way I achieved some of those objectives, in terms of small details working that blew my mind, was very memorable. 

There was a mission where you had to assassinate some higher up guard who was eventually seated at a table eating with several guards around. I was perched on a vantage point somewhere above the room he was in, took aim with the crossbow and right as I fired, the target raised up a coffee mug. I thought yeah, that's mission failed. Turns out the arrow instead shattered the coffee mug, making him freak out and go on alert instead and sending his guards outside of the room to go check the corridors, where I was. In the meantime I was able to slip into the room now undetected with his guards outside and stealth kill his ass instead. It doesn't sound that exciting typed out but it was cool as hell how fluid and organic it all felt. 

Dishonored reminds me of what open world games promise but never deliver for me, making my own fun in a meaningful way. Also, level design is legit as fuck. And don't even get me started on Prey, that game is so fucking good. It pains me to see Arkane fail again and again commercially, seriously. 

I'll probably check this Wolf out if Arkane are involved aka the level design isn't total crap.