Walmart jumps on the game streaming bandwagon

crispy4000

Google made headlines this week when it announced its arrival into the video game space with a new streaming venture called Stadia. But according to sources, another major corporation is investigating the video game streaming business too, and it's none other than Walmart.

Multiple sources familiar with Walmart's plans, who wish to remain anonymous, confirmed to USG that the retail giant is exploring its own platform to enter in the now-competitive video game streaming race. No other details were revealed other than it will be a streaming service for video games, and that Walmart has been speaking with developers and publishers since earlier this year and throughout this year's Game Developers Conference.

Walmart's discussions with developers for its streaming service have been secretive, and it's unclear how far along the service is in-development. But our sources are confident that this is a space Walmart is trying to move into.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/walmart-video-game-streaming-service-exclusive

Views on Walmart are a bit skewed. In big cities you don’t really them at all until you get far enough into the suburbs. 

I live in prime Walmart country. Certainly the demographic skews impoverished, but for a lot of towns in my state it was really the only logical place to get groceries or random stuff. Hell even when I was younger it was like that and radio shack for electronic stuff until target got bigger. 

I have no idea why I’m even posting this. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Views on Walmart are a bit skewed. In big cities you don’t really them at all until you get far enough into the suburbs. 

I live in prime Walmart country. Certainly the demographic skews impoverished, but for a lot of towns in my state it was really the only logical place to get groceries or random stuff. Hell even when I was younger it was like that and radio shack for electronic stuff until target got bigger. 

One thing I've noticed about Arizona is they really love Walmart, because they are everywhere. I go to the one by where I live all the time.

I like walmart. Kroger and Giant Eagle cost way more for the same shit. Kroger usually has better fresh stuff(produce/meat) but everything else costs more. However, Kroger sometimes has some amazing sales and deals. But like a bag of chips at Kroger can easily be $0.50-$1.00 more than walmart if not on sale or part of a deal. 

I live in San Antonio, which definitely skews toward the lower end of the economic spectrum, and there's a walmart every few miles. But then, there's everything every few miles. This city is redundant as shit.

Thank God we have H-E-B though. They might have muscled out the smaller grocery stores, but they're competitive and they have their own line of products which are actually pretty good. I don't have to rely on Walmart for their "fresh" meats.

17 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I really them long long time!

20 hours ago, Dodger said:

This might just be a stereotype and I could be completely wrong, but I would just assume the average Walmart customer wouldn't have anywhere near the kind of internet speeds necessary for game streaming. 

Definitely completely wrong. The "average" walmart shopper is 90% of America. 

18 hours ago, Bacon said:

I like walmart. Kroger and Giant Eagle cost way more for the same shit. Kroger usually has better fresh stuff(produce/meat) but everything else costs more. However, Kroger sometimes has some amazing sales and deals. But like a bag of chips at Kroger can easily be $0.50-$1.00 more than walmart if not on sale or part of a deal. 

Wal-mart meat? :dumpster_fire:

Wal Mart out in Corpus Christi, Texas, seems more like a grocery store than what we tend to equate with the negative aspects of Wal Mart. I kind of see Wal Mart out here as more of a Meier's type of store than what I'm used to seeing as Wal Mart.

34 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I've learned there's a sweet spot from about 8pm til around 10 where you can have a relatively "safe" experience at walmart. Any earlier and you get the 300-pound men in daisy dukes, and any later you get all the crackheads. If you REALLY want an adventure, hit one up around 2 am.

No one is bad when you get there when they open at 6:00 am.

(The Wal-Marts here aren't open 24 hours)