Manning locked up again...

From the Post:

“These secret proceedings tend to favor the government,” she said. “I’m always willing to explain things publicly.”

Manning held up a giant stack of papers — the transcripts from her military trial, which she said would tell prosecutors everything they want to know. “I’ve given voluminous testimony; I’ve given voluminous information,” she said.

So she's refusing to testify to a grand jury because she doesn't like the idea of secret grand juries in general? I understand she's not a fan of government secrecy, but if she's right and all she'd be telling them is what she's already revealed publicly, then that's quite a stand she's taking. I guess I can commend her commitment, but this seems like a pointless battle, unless there is something else at stake here.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So if Manning became President then it would no longer be traitorous? lol. Hold some consistent positions, man!

you are reaching so far. Washington was a traitor until he was no longer a british subject. 

Manning is still a US citizen, and therefore still a traitor, by law. A convicted traitor. 

If you agree with her position, then she was a whistleblower.

Personally I think that she leaked far too many documents, things that had no particular importance to the cause of anti-Imperialism/atrocity argument.

Also, if you simply believe that someone is a traitor because the law says they are...then that's not very principled.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Why? Its valid to feel someone born a man isn't a woman? 

I don't have a problem calling her "her", but I don't have a problem withsomeone not being ok with it too. 

"I'm not a transphobe, but I don't have a problem with people who are"

5 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Why? Its valid to feel someone born a man isn't a woman? 

I don't have a problem calling her "her", but I don't have a problem withsomeone not being ok with it too. 

But you do have a problem with a private forum/service banning people for not being okay with it.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'll grant you that, but when discussing what nonsense she's doing now, it's Chelsea. It was not entirely clear from your posts

The point I was attempting to make is that the person(a?) who committed the crime didn’t seem to be one with the calculated intent of harming the US for the gain of another state...they shopped at Hot Topic to show how transgressive they were. They document dumped to Wikileaks or whatever to show how transgressive they were. Just giving context to why I’m not sure traitor is an accurate label.

31 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

There’s a difference between genuine transphobia and those who mean well but are still learning how to talk about this issue in a more sensitive manner. Let’s learn to be more forgiving of the later.

None of the latter is happening here.