DLSS comes to 3D Mark

Mr.Vic20

I mean, yes, its all fluff, but note this:

" the GeForce company claims up to 50% performance improvements as well as image quality improvements. They also said NVIDIA DLSS is coming soon to Metro Exodus (the first time we’ve heard this), Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Anthem and Battlefield V."

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

" the GeForce company claims up to 50% performance improvements as well as image quality improvements. They also said NVIDIA DLSS is coming soon to Metro Exodus (the first time we’ve heard this), Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Anthem and Battlefield V."

I hope they don't stop there.  I want it patched into as many of this gen's games as possible.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

21-B07-E14-1-D5-C-422-D-8-B12-8746003178

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So is DLSS a replacement for AA? 

It’s a form of it using AI to create a super sampled image from a lower resolution base image. It looks really good compare to a native frame and saves the GPU quite a bit of processing power compared to other AA techniques. I think it’s a clever use of the tech, but it has its detractors who like to point out it’s inferior image quality by pointing to zoomed in still shots. 

There are two uses for it actually. There's the fancy upscaling, which I have zero interest in, and there is super efficient, supposedly, AA. So far they've only been pimping the upscaling.

If I want to play games not actually in 4k I have a PS4 pro with lovely checkerboarding. It also costs one fourth the amount.

13 minutes ago, jaethos said:

There are two uses for it actually. There's the fancy upscaling, which I have zero interest in, and there is super efficient, supposedly, AA. So far they've only been pimping the upscaling.

If I want to play games not actually in 4k I have a PS4 pro with lovely checkerboarding. It also costs one fourth the amount.

But doesn’t ray trace, have higher res textures and run a higher frame rates. It’s just not apples to apples. 

40 minutes ago, jaethos said:

This is a bit misleading.  The 'fancy upscaling' and 'super efficient AA' you're referring to are one in the same.  In practice, its Nvidia's alternative to checkerboarding with superior IQ, which they've been marketing as a form of AA.

The bigger deal here is that PC market is finally starting to embrace upscaling reconstruction techniques.  Like the Pro, these new cards should be able to punch way above their weight class in games that utilize them properly.  That could mean huge gains over both the Pro and X, beyond what the PC can already brute force.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It’s a form of it using AI to create a super sampled image from a lower resolution base image. It looks really good compare to a native frame and saves the GPU quite a bit of processing power compared to other AA techniques. I think it’s a clever use of the tech, but it has its detractors who like to point out it’s inferior image quality by pointing to zoomed in still shots. 

This vid was posted in another thread. While I was initially impressed, the last driving section stood out to me. The jaggies on the front of car are quite noticeable with DLSS, no zoomed in still shots required. :p Although I personally think the improved FPS is definitely worth it.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

This is a bit misleading.  The 'fancy upscaling' and 'super efficient AA' you're referring to are one in the same.  In practice, its Nvidia's alternative to checkerboarding with superior IQ, which they've been marketing as a form of AA.

The bigger deal here is that PC market is finally starting to embrace upscaling reconstruction techniques.  Like the Pro, these new cards should be able to punch way above their weight class in games that utilize them properly.  That could mean huge gains over both the Pro and X, beyond what the PC can already brute force.

Nvidia has referenced straight up DLSS AA as well, they call it DLSS 2x or something along those lines. It probably does the exact same thing, but it starts with the native resolution. I don't think they've actually shown it off though, it was just in a slide.

4 hours ago, jaethos said:

Nvidia has referenced straight up DLSS AA as well, they call it DLSS 2x or something along those lines. It probably does the exact same thing, but it starts with the native resolution. I don't think they've actually shown it off though, it was just in a slide.

That too, but it's the same technique.  Since you're someone who sees the benefit to checkerboarding, why would DLSS 2x be more exciting than normal DLSS?

I'd always go with the performance gains and extra GPU headroom.

This is a canned benchmark so this should showcase the absolute best case scenario for DLSS, but I don't see how this will be representative of the gains we'll see in actual games.  Nvidia can essentially "cheat" by telling the DLSS driver to optimize the benchmark this particular way because the benchmark shows the same scene from the same angle every time.

43 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

This is a canned benchmark so this should showcase the absolute best case scenario for DLSS, but I don't see how this will be representative of the gains we'll see in actual games.  Nvidia can essentially "cheat" by telling the DLSS driver to optimize the benchmark this particular way because the benchmark shows the same scene from the same angle every time.

Yep.

21 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

That too, but it's the same technique.  Since you're someone who sees the benefit to checkerboarding, why would DLSS 2x be more exciting than normal DLSS?

I'd always go with the performance gains and extra GPU headroom.

Because "free" anti-aliasing is more exciting than 1440p with fancy upscaling on my 4k TV. :shrug:

I'm not against image reconstruction and checkerboarding, I think they are very cool. I'm not a fan of only having it available on one line of cards from one vendor though. Also, they currently give you zero adjustments. In the future, when it's available on cards that aren't horribly overpriced I might change my mind. Nvidia's past proprietary tech doesn't provide me a lot of hope though. 

3 hours ago, jaethos said:

Because "free" anti-aliasing is more exciting than 1440p with fancy upscaling on my 4k TV. :shrug:

I'm not against image reconstruction and checkerboarding, I think they are very cool. I'm not a fan of only having it available on one line of cards from one vendor though. Also, they currently give you zero adjustments. In the future, when it's available on cards that aren't horribly overpriced I might change my mind. Nvidia's past proprietary tech doesn't provide me a lot of hope though. 

I see the "free" anti-aliasing at 4k as a 'nice things' option for those who spring for top of the line cards.  For those still wanting a more perfect 4k image than with TAA, and whose card can already handle all the fidelity and framerate they ideally want at 4k.

I also don't think you, or I, are part of that market.  What excites me more is what the lower tier versions of these cards will be able to do once they hit mainstream pricing.  By then, many more games should support (standard) DLSS.  That's the long game I see here - a great value proposition with cards that punch well above their specs.

I am curious as to how AMD will respond.  Not only with the PC graphics card market, but to the next-gen consoles as well.  They did work with Sony on checkerboarding.

Personally, I'm just glad to see PC gaming start to embrace these techniques in a more tangible way.  Like with HDR support too.  It's about time.