Epic Games earned $3 billion in profit in 2018

Pikachu

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/27/epic-fortnite-3-billion-profit/

Epic Games had as good a year in 2018 as any company in tech. Fortnite became the world’s most popular game, growing the company’s valuation to $15 billion, but it has helped the company pile up cash, too. Epic grossed a $3 billion profit for this year fueled by the continued success of Fortnite,  a source with knowledge of the business told TechCrunch . . .

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Stumbling into the world's biggest game is sure helpful when it comes to making money. Hopefully they're able to put that cash to good use and turn out some interesting products.

I'd say that's not too likely. So far they've simply cancelled other projects and diverted those resources to more Fortnite development. What they really need to be prepared for is the inevitable crash as kids move on to something else.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'd say that's not too likely. So far they've simply cancelled other projects and diverted those resources to more Fortnite development. What they really need to be prepared for is the inevitable crash as kids move on to something else.

They've only been riding the Fortnite wave for a year. It makes sense that their first priority would be to keep it going, and although I don't play, I think think they've done a pretty good job at that.

If they have started funding a bunch of new games or decided to use some of that cash on crazy experiments, I doubt we'd know of them yet.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

They've only been riding the Fortnite wave for a year. It makes sense that their first priority would be to keep it going, and although I don't play, I think think they've done a pretty good job at that.

If they have started funding a bunch of new games or decided to use some of that cash on crazy experiments, I doubt we'd know of them yet.

If cancelling Paragon and Unreal Tournament and buying exclusivity of 3rd party games while riding the Fortnite wave is any indication, they won't be funding new games. :p