The cost of living is rising, and many Americans can't afford it

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/the-cost-of-living-is-rising-and-many-americans-can-t-afford-it/ar-BBPElEa?ocid=AMZN

The cost of living in America has climbed 14 percent over the past three years, according to a GOBankingRates’ analysis of the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Consumer Price Index. The index measures the change in prices paid for goods and services, including food, shelter, energy, transportation and medical care.

We also looked at housing cost data supplied by Zillow. The median home price has soared 21 percent from $215,000 in January 2015 to $260,000 in January 2018. And the median rent has climbed 7.6 percent over the same period from $1,340 to $1,442.

The jump in the cost of living means Americans need to earn more to live comfortably. However, GOBankingRates found that the median household income isn’t keeping up with the rising cost of living in America’s largest cities.

GOBankingRates used the 50-30-20 budgeting rule to determine the income needed in the 50 largest cities to allocate 50 percent toward necessities, 30 percent toward nonessential costs and 20 percent toward savings. In all cities but one, the income needed to live comfortably is higher than the median household income. Across all 50 cities, that gap has increased 20 percent over the past year 

Can you afford to get by on the average salary in your state? According to the 50-30-20 budgeting rule, 50 percent of your income should be dedicated to necessities such as rent and groceries, 30 percent should be dedicated toward discretionary spending and “splurges” and 20 percent should be put toward savings. But depending on where you live and how much you make, living by this expert-approved budgeting strategy might not actually be realistic.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/making-money/economy/states-where-the-average-salary-isnt-enough-to-get-by/?utm_campaign=724233&utm_source=msn.com&utm_content=6

Over 50% of my pay goes to rent.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Where is that?

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Upstate NY is like this, you can get a big home for less than 200k but you'll pay 5k+ in taxes a year depending on county/town. 

That is where I live. My house is appraised at 225k, I will be paying about $8500 between property and school taxes and I just built in one of the "lower" school tax areas. 

19 minutes ago, elbobo said:

That is where I live. My house is appraised at 225k, I will be paying about $8500 between property and school taxes and I just built in one of the "lower" school tax areas. 

Yeah, the difference between cities and counties can be extreme, we just bought a 2,200 sq ft home for 180k and with STAR its like 4500, while houses in the next county and town over houses the same size and price would be almost 6k, in the same school district. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Upstate NY is like this, you can get a big home for less than 200k but you'll pay 5k+ in taxes a year depending on county/town. 

19 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Here in Reno a lot of houses are $375,000+ because of people moving from California and renting has become a lot more expensive.

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

Here in Reno a lot of houses are $375,000+ because of people moving from California and renting has become a lot more expensive.

People piss and moan about property taxes here all the time but fail to realize its either one or the other, and the only other option is we become like PA where you're lucky if you're road is fucking paved, and you might see a plow truck in a day or 2 after the snow falls, lol.

22 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

People piss and moan about property taxes here all the time but fail to realize its either one or the other, and the only other option is we become like PA where you're lucky if you're road is fucking paved, and you might see a plow truck in a day or 2 after the snow falls, lol.

or we could stop giving billions to amazon, that is an option too 

10 minutes ago, elbobo said:

or we could stop giving billions to amazon, that is an option too 

That won't affect your property taxes unless the state reduces funding to local governments and schools to pay for that, which isn't going to happen, now the people in the area where thats going in are probably fucked.

43 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

In Nevada the state’s average effective property tax rate is just 0.77%. Most of the time the snow melts here the same day or the following day. After a big snow storm they might not get to your area for a couple weeks in Reno/Sparks.

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

That is still better than NJ, where both are high.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

In Nevada the state’s average effective property tax rate is just 0.77%. Most of the time the snow melts here the same day or the following day. After a big snow storm they might not get to your area for a couple weeks in Reno/Sparks.

Yeah, thats like 1/3 of our tax rate here, and i'd imagine we have a different idea of what a "Big" snow storm is, lol.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yeah, thats like 1/3 of our tax rate here, and i'd imagine we have a different idea of what a "Big" snow storm is, lol.

Up at Tahoe I've seen it get crazy but down here in Reno a few inches and everybody is thinking it's doomsday. On rare occasions we can get a couple feet of snow. I remember blizzards back in South Bend, IN and below zero weather that felt like torture waiting for the school bus. 

2 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Up at Tahoe I've seen it get crazy but down here in Reno a few inches and everybody is thinking it's doomsday. On rare occasions we can get a couple feet of snow. I remember blizzards back in South Bend, IN and below zero weather that felt like torture waiting for the school bus. 

Yeah, we get a few inches of snow just cause the wind changed for a few hours off the lakes, those poor bastards closer to the lakes will get a few feet sometimes just from lake effect.