Biden decides to cause some inflation a few months before the election

Tariffs are bad. What GB said is more to the point.

But if Chinese stuff is being "unfairly subsidized" then maybe we ought to unfairly subsidize our own high tech manufacturing. 

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, CayceG said:

But if Chinese stuff is being "unfairly subsidized" then maybe we ought to unfairly subsidize our own high tech manufacturing. 

I feel like any government subsidies into America manufacturing just ends up in the pockets of executives and never ends up as lower prices. 

There are some things I'm okay with tariffs on. Chips and other computing components for example. Completed cars? Probably not. But I will say everybody thinks they want a Chinese car until they go to a country that does have them. I just spent a lengthy amount of time in Bolivia recently. It's full of Chinese cars that are just sitting there as useless junk; because a car company shows up, sells well for two or three years, then can't or doesn't want to send replacement parts and components; then you have all these four or five year old cars cannibalizing each other for parts. It makes me think Chinese EVs aren't as environmentally friendly as they sound.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

There are some things I'm okay with tariffs on. Chips and other computing components for example. Completed cars? Probably not. But I will say everybody thinks they want a Chinese car until they go to a country that does have them. I just spent a lengthy amount of time in Bolivia recently. It's full of Chinese cars that are just sitting there as useless junk; because a car company shows up, sells well for two or three years, then can't or doesn't want to send replacement parts and components; then you have all these four or five year old cars cannibalizing each other for parts. It makes me think Chinese EVs aren't as environmentally friendly as they sound.

How DARE you insinu-wait a minute, yes that seems very likely correct, carry on! :daydream:

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

we don't need to be giving tax payer money to trillion dollar companies 

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I mean I imagine in poorer countries you're getting real bottom of the barrel Chinese cars. The Chinese car segment in Europe is huge and you don't hear about this and I'd assume we'd get the same tier of product that Europe gets.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

I mean I imagine in poorer countries you're getting real bottom of the barrel Chinese cars. The Chinese car segment in Europe is huge and you don't hear about this and I'd assume we'd get the same tier of product that Europe gets.

Maybe. I'm not familiar enough with Chinese brands to say which ones are garbage or not. But they have plenty of the good American and Japanese brands.

1 minute ago, outsida said:

How many Chinese EVs are on sale in the US. 

Almost none. This action by the administration is supposed to get out ahead of the perceived threat of that changing rapidly prior to the American car industry getting its government subsidized green vehicle act together. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Almost none. This action by the administration is supposed to get out ahead of the perceived threat of that changing rapidly prior to the American car industry getting its government subsidized green vehicle act together. 

Because I'm sure leaving the field to the regular manufacturers will get EVs in place...

THEDRIVEN.IO

Damning new report finds nearly all major car companies are actively sabotaging world’s efforts to avoid catastrophic global warming, and Japan companies are the worst.

• Guillotine 1
  • Halal 1

Protectionism has its uses but tariffs aren’t really worth a damn when you are a developed nation in charge of a global reserve currency.

Stuff like the CHIPs Act is a far better tack to take.

And, uh, yeah, maybe wait until we’re back at the 2% inflation target for a few quarters folks…

11 hours ago, outsida said:

How many Chinese EVs are on sale in the US. 

None afaik, but several were planning to in the next 6-18 months, like the BYD Han. With these tariffs no one will be able to afford to sing and record themselves doing karaoke in their car :( (no, really: the BYD Hans come with a wireless microphone and a selfie-camera/recorder for karaoke)

BYD-Signs-Global-Deal-with-Stingray-to-b

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Because I'm sure leaving the field to the regular manufacturers will get EVs in place...

THEDRIVEN.IO

Damning new report finds nearly all major car companies are actively sabotaging world’s efforts to avoid catastrophic global warming, and Japan companies are the worst.

Yea, Japanese car brands have been absolutely ridiculous in their refusal to go or even make EVs. The few actual EVs the Japanese companies have are beyond half-assed and all fall way behind in tech. They’re being dragged into it kicking and screaming, like, jfc, some even decided to waste millions upon millions on developing worthless hydrogen cars instead of just making a damn EV.

On 5/14/2024 at 4:27 PM, elbobo said:

we don't need to be giving tax payer money to trillion dollar companies 

We do if we want a transition to Electric cars. Most people don’t want them as it is, and their price compared to gas vehicles of equivalent size is too damn high. Just look at Fords reports on their EV losses. 

Then theres EV trucks, which are just all around useless for hauling anything with.

plus the grid can’t handle a mass transition to electric without massive upgrades that aren’t coming.