Assassin's Creed Shadows (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Mac | 15 November 2024) - Official World Premiere Trailer and "Who Are Naoe and Yasuke?" feature

Yeah I think Mirage reviewed favorably and sold well. Its origins (homina homina homina) as a Valhalla expansion and a reduced scope from the last 3 titles meant that it wasn’t aiming as high as those previous games but I have to imagine it hit whatever target Ubisoft was trying to hit with it.

I can appreciate it not being someone’s cup of tea but it being a “miss” is less charitable than it deserves.

• Halal 1

Mirage was fundamentally a different sort of game.

Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla were all a dramatic change in game style from previous games, and felt like it was almost a "Witcher" game with an AC skin.  I still think I put close to 150 hours into each of them -- and enjoyed them.  However, Mirage was closer in scope/direction to the rest of the series -- it was much shorter, but didn't have the kind of bloat that something like Valhalla did.  It had a tight story, smallish skill tree and far less copy/paste encounters.  IMHO, it was "aiming different" rather than aiming lower.

My social media feed on "X" hasn't had a single person complaining about the decision to have a black character.

It is, however, filled with posts explaining how there were actually lots of black Samurai, or people complaining about the people complaining about the decision to have a black samurai.  None of these are responding to said racist complaints, so I don't know how many people with influence are actually saying it. 

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I thought their steam releases still required UbiConnect or whatever. Did that change?

They still do. But I was just thinking of all the layers of DRM and then thinking it won't even be on steam. :p

35 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is this one coming to steam or is it an Ubisoft connect exclusive?

They were always on EGS (likely due to an exclusivity agreement with them).  I believe they still aren't launching on Steam, but are still coming there after an exclusivity period.  However, I don't believe Ubisoft has ever talked publicly about it.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's normally much cheaper to buy directly from Ubisoft.  Within 3-4 months of launch, they normally have 40% off sales -- and you can spend 100 Ubi points to get a further 20% off.

Classic Hiawa discount.

• Confused 1

I already provided my thoughts about Mirage in a different thread but it’s by far the weakest AC game I played which is to be expected as it was a DLC turned into a full game.  It’s a game that you can easily skip and miss nothing. It is a filler game to plug a whole in a software pipeline.  Its a miss for me. 

:shrug:

• Like 1

I’m less excited for this game now because I dislike having to play as multiple characters in games. I assume that it’s going to be like Assassin’s Creed Syndicate where you have to play as a specific character for specific missions instead of just being able to play as who you want the entire time.

I’m only interested in playing as Naoe since she’s a ninja which makes sense for an Assassin’s Creed game, I don’t see how Yasuke fits in the game being a big tank samurai. I don’t have an interest in playing as him, so I’m disappointed that I’m going to have to despite not wanting to.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Wait so which is it, do you pick one of them or do you take turns? I hope it’s taking turns because I want to play as both but no way in hell am I playing a modern AC twice.

As far as I can tell, think like GTA5 where you can switch whenever outside of missions and do side-missions with either, but story missions are locked to one or the other (and it varies by mission).

• Halal 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

As far as I can tell, think like GTA5 where you can switch whenever outside of missions and do side-missions with either, but story missions are locked to one or the other (and it varies by mission).

I don't hate this concept but I frown upon it. Oh well. 

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I like this! Also I noticed this is day1 on ios - might have to get it for ios and then cross play with the pc version on ubi+ 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Steve Carell Ew GIF by Focus Features

ehh maybe on an iphone 15 pro it will cause that reaction but I don’t see what’s so crazy about playing it on perhaps the best display in existence on an 11” display with power greater than a series S :P

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

ehh maybe on an iphone 15 pro it will cause that reaction but I don’t see what’s so crazy about playing it on perhaps the best display in existence on an 11” display with power greater than a series S :P

throw up team america GIF

• Haha 2

On 5/15/2024 at 7:09 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Can anyone really say that AC:Mirage was a miss with a straight face?

Sure can.

On 5/16/2024 at 5:47 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Mirage was fundamentally a different sort of game.

Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla were all a dramatic change in game style from previous games, and felt like it was almost a "Witcher" game with an AC skin.  I still think I put close to 150 hours into each of them -- and enjoyed them.  However, Mirage was closer in scope/direction to the rest of the series -- it was much shorter, but didn't have the kind of bloat that something like Valhalla did.  It had a tight story, smallish skill tree and far less copy/paste encounters.  IMHO, it was "aiming different" rather than aiming lower.

It certainly had fewer aspirations and was less ambitious than the open world RPG trilogy. I felt let down by it because even with its increased focus, it wasn't any better at the core things it was trying to do. I find it easier to forgive any issues I have with stealth in Odyssey because it's enormous and there is so much else to do. In Mirage, it felt like they cut back so much but they didn't add or improve on anything. There was nothing it did better than any other game in the series except have a more reasonable play time.

I think all that would have been easier to accept if it launched as Valhalla DLC as originally planned. As an overgrown DLC, it was fine, because as a subsection of a larger game, I wouldn't have expected it to do much. But instead they called it a stand-alone entry and talked up the return of social stealth and focus on the core mechanics of AC and I don't think it lived up to those promises.

Not to overstate my issues with the game. I finished it. It's not a bad game nor is it incompetently made. I don't think every AC game needs to be the size of Origins or Odyssey. It's like making something simple on a cooking competition show. Sure, you can put together a simple tartar or whatever, but if you're going to make something less grand, I want to feel the focus in the final product, and I didn't get that from Mirage.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Sure can.

It certainly had fewer aspirations and was less ambitious than the open world RPG trilogy. I felt let down by it because even with its increased focus, it wasn't any better at the core things it was trying to do. I find it easier to forgive any issues I have with stealth in Odyssey because it's enormous and there is so much else to do. In Mirage, it felt like they cut back so much but they didn't add or improve on anything. There was nothing it did better than any other game in the series except have a more reasonable play time.

I think all that would have been easier to accept if it launched as Valhalla DLC as originally planned. As an overgrown DLC, it was fine, because as a subsection of a larger game, I wouldn't have expected it to do much. But instead they called it a stand-alone entry and talked up the return of social stealth and focus on the core mechanics of AC and I don't think it lived up to those promises.

Not to overstate my issues with the game. I finished it. It's not a bad game nor is it incompetently made. I don't think every AC game needs to be the size of Origins or Odyssey. It's like making something simple on a cooking competition show. Sure, you can put together a simple tartar or whatever, but if you're going to make something less grand, I want to feel the focus in the final product, and I didn't get that from Mirage.

I'm assuming that when they talk about it being a DLC like Dawn of Ragnarök, which was CC$50 -- and Mirage was C$70. 

In Mirage, I liked the stealth.  I liked it being more story focused.  I enjoyed the assassin missions a whole lot.  

I liked Valhalla -- I put 165h into it.  But, I also felt that Odyssey and Valhalla were far too long.  I also felt their skill trees were unwieldy and far too big -- which made you feel underpowered for far too long -- and then way too overpowered at the end.  Playing the Siege of Paris was too easy, because I just destroyed everything with my Thor hammer.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

As long as you use a controller it doesn't sound awful. But if you tell me you're using touch controls we might need to get you checked out.

12 minutes ago, legend said:

As long as you use a controller it doesn't sound awful. But if you tell me you're using touch controls we might need to get you checked out.

Well yeah, I just didn’t mention that because i feel like in 2024 its on the reader to realize that gamepads on ios has long been a thing, especially on an ipad where you just use a xbox gamepad like a laptop. But there are also good options for the phone that clip on as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If iOS is your only platform, those folks should have the opportunity to play games. 

But let’s not suggest that the experience is akin to playing on a PC-Monitor or current gen console on a big TV. 

Who is doing that! It’s like playing on a laptop. I even said I was going to use cross save myself to play on my desktop and tv but also ios/mac. But for a portable version I’d actually take with me on trips? I really hope to see more of this happening. It’ll definitely be better than say trying to run it on the current pc handhelds.