How Well Do These Games Hold Up Today

Been playing Rise of The Ronin to death but I'm getting in the mood for something else. Don't want to dive back into Dragon's Dogma 2 just yet and I've been kinda in the mood for an over the top power fantasy and two game series from back in the day are cauing me to give them a second look... The INFAMOUS series

and the PROTOTYPE  series.

Both are different takes on the super hero genre and both are series that I dabbled in but never played to completion. How do you guys think these games hold up today? Also any other games in this genre you think I may be interested in?

I don't think the Prototype series was very good in its day.

I haven't played the Infamous games since launch -- but really enjoyed the three of them.  To me, you can see the gampelay in the Spider-Man games being directly influenced by Infamous.  If you're OK playing older open world games, that don't have quite the same variety in terms of side quests, I am sure they hold up relatively well.

I don't really know why but I hated the Infamous games. Maybe it's because they came out during a time when I wanted something to get into and they just didnt deliver the way I was expecting. Never played the Prototypes. I did recently get back into Ninja Gaiden Sigma though. And wow, that camera is abysmal. I don't know how I could look past it back in the day

45 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Been playing Rise of The Ronin to death but I'm getting in the mood for something else. Don't want to dive back into Dragon's Dogma 2 just yet and I've been kinda in the mood for an over the top power fantasy and two game series from back in the day are cauing me to give them a second look... The INFAMOUS series

and the PROTOTYPE  series.

Both are different takes on the super hero genre and both are series that I dabbled in but never played to completion. How do you guys think these games hold up today? Also any other games in this genre you think I may be interested in?

I think Prototype is still pretty fun and if you have a decent pc from the last 15 years or so then it should run at 60fps. The sequel might be more fun to dive in to these days but both are silly fun.

Infamous could really use a remaster for 1/2 that runs at 4k/60 would love for them to do the whole trilogy like that and make it on pc too. Those first two though, that era of gaming was a bit rough. Second son/First Light still look good to this day and run at 60fps/1800c on ps5 though and I think are still a lot of fun. 

If you are looking for some dumb fun I’d also highly highly recommend Wanted: Dead.

Unfortunately Spider-Man 2018 and Spider-Man 2 spoiled us with super hero games so going back to older games may be difficult. I'm assuming you played both of these. :p

Infamous Second Son looks terrific from a PS4 gen title and it runs at 60fps now. 

The Infamous games are fine / good. If you like “classic” open world gaming with some real polar opposite morality choices (I think the first one has something where your option is either give food to hungry people or blast it with lightning, for an example of what you’re asked to consider) they’re fun. I remember the traversal being pretty entertaining too, but this was a pre-Spider-Man world, so I can’t say how much I’d expect that bit specifically to have aged, especially if you’ve played Spidey recently.

I guess the Spidey comparison is pretty apt in that it’s very much a comic book inspired, open world, action series. I don’t think any Infamous game does anything as well as any of the 3 Spideys do… if that kinda comparison would hold back your enjoyment, maybe worth passing? If not, there’s definitely fun bits and It’s not that they’re bad games at all, just that Spidey really raised the bar for this genre specifically.

I platinumed all the infamous games. I would bet the banter would not age well at all. If you mainlined the story it might be passable but those games were filled with early era open world BS that would get old quick.