FartSmeller420 rejoice! You can change your PSN name soon!

Anzo

This feature is compatible with PS4 games originally published after April 1, 2018, and a large majority of the most-played PS4 games that were released before this date. However, please note not all games and applications for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita systems are guaranteed to support the online ID change, and users may occasionally encounter issues or errors in certain games.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah this is the tricky part. Will be fully compatible with games from April 2018? Anything before is questionable. That's 3-4 years worth of games and possibly the little BC list they have through PS Now that will give you issues. If this is the solution to giving you a feature that may fuck up your already purchased games it's not worth the risk. Good thing they are Beta testing before and also I'm happy with my PSN name :p

6 minutes ago, The def star said:

I think I have changed my name like 3 times on Xbox. It comes in handy when you want to have a consistent screen name across as many platforms. 

I gave up on consistant screen names. I do have a friend that might want to change his PSN name RedRingHater. He made that when his second 360 red ringed and he bought a PS3.

17 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

It isn't just a name change. Things could be saved to your unique username like game saves, trophies, purchased items etc so you would lose access to that stuff. 

:lol:

Yeah, they fucked up royally. No other console or online service has ever had such a ridiculously stupid issue to my knowledge. Classic Japanese hardcoding shit that shouldn't be hardcoded.

Seriously Sony....... They finally have the exciting announcement about name changes and its got some Nintendo level bullshit attached to it.   

If any of you haven't clicked on the link yet, do so and read the short statement. Nothing about it sounds like a "sure thing". If at any time you experience what I guess is a game breaking bug you can revert back to your old name for free....and make sure to check their official game supported list when it goes up.... This is the screenname for your account, i shouldn't have to check a list to see if I'm going to have trouble. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

:lol: "Compatible with certain games" it's a fucking NAME CHANGE. Jesus Christ, how utterly pathetic.

3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Seriously Sony....... They finally have the exciting announcement about name changes and its got some Nintendo level bullshit attached to it.   

If any of you haven't clicked on the link yet, do so and read the short statement. Nothing about it sounds like a "sure thing". If at any time you experience what I guess is a game breaking bug you can revert back to your old name for free....and make sure to check their official game supported list when it goes up.... This is the screenname for your account, i shouldn't have to check a list to see if I'm going to have trouble. 

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Next they will be introducing PSN friend codes. :lol:

On 10/10/2018 at 11:02 AM, SimpleG said:

Jesus what a shit show, I like to give MS shit but the Xbox live infrastructure is light years ahead of Sony.

I've been reading around the interwebz because I've wondered why Shawn Layden talked about changing user names being so complicated. I found this convo on Reset, so I don't know who, if any, is a certified expert, but the gist is their emergence onto the online scene on the PS2/PS3 complicated how to go about simple things on the PS4:

I'm thinking it's how they set up their DBMS from the beginning; how primary and foreign keys were mapped. I honestly think it was just that simple - the initial planning and set up.

As far as implementation, I am not going to act like I know their database business.

Unlike the PlayStation team, the Xbox team have the luxury of using the Microsoft online infrastructure used by businesses and consumers (Hotmail, MSN, live.com) back in the day.

Not that I'm giving Sony a pass on how they design their infrastructure in the past. Whichever system architect that designed the PSN database that used the userid as primary key need to go back to school.

Sorry , this is such an obvious mistake to avoid , i'm unsure that person left school or even went there.

Even back then , when i was in school making my first databases and managing basic systems with php , this was a thing that was taught and obvious to all.

Yes, clearly MS put some 'long term' thought into it. Let's not forget this was also a service you had to pay for so therefore the 'gold' standard (pardon the pun).

Sony OTOH just cobbled something together for free, for their free service and (maybe) didn't think about the long term implications. When PS3 came out online was still in it's infancy (especially for Sony), with gamers being (often) region locked by the game they played...so as an example (IIRC) people playing Resistance were 'locked' into a region - I can't recall if the lock was your location or your version of the game (remembering PS3 was region free for games).

Anyway, the point is, Sony were so concentrated on the tech behind PS3 (and the spiralling costs) they didn't correct something that would have been a lot easier and cheaper back then!

Yup...when I was first learning about database in school (using MS Access of all things), primary key has been drilled in to our minds as the most important identifier and more often that not, should be a number.

For such a consumer facing system, the primary key should never be exposed to users.

It makes sense, but I'd love some tech-savvy people here to elaborate if they can. MS's been in the internet game a lot longer and I think did a better job early setting up for something like this, whereas the tech people at Sony now seem like they are trying to make a simple feature work around bad decisions made a decade ago.

• 3 weeks later...

PSN Name Changes Can Make You Lose DLC, Save Data, And More

Sony is finally allowing PlayStation Network users to change their names soon, but it appears the feature may come with a few more caveats than expected. Sony previously warned of some game and app compatibility issues in the initial announcement. According to users in the beta, though, an attached disclaimer warns that players are warned they could lose lots of information associated with their account, including DLC purchases and saved games.
The disclaimer was leaked by beta members on the ResetEra forum. It notes that not all games and applications support the online ID change feature, so players who use it may lose access to content including virtual currency, game progress like saved game data, leaderboard data, and Trophy progress. It also notes that some games might not function properly, even offline, and your prior ID could remain visible to other players in some situations. If you run into issues with the change, according to the users, you can revert back to your original username at no additional fee. But that may not resolve all of the problems.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/psn-name-changes-can-make-you-lose-dlc-save-data-a/1100-6462772/