David Simon (The Wire) developing new HBO series "The System" based on New Yorker articles about child protective services

VARIETY.COM

David Simon is developing a new series at HBO, Variety has learned exclusively.

David Simon is developing a new series at HBO, Variety has learned exclusively.

Simon is attached to write and executive produce the drama project, currently titled “The System.” Lily Thorne and Larissa MacFarquhar will also write and co-executive produce, with Kiese Laymon also attached to write.

The project is based on a series of New Yorker articles written by MacFarquhar. The official description states that the show “will examine the foster care and child protective service systems from the viewpoint of family court judges and lawyers, as well as social workers, caretakers, mothers, and the children themselves, and will probe the risks and benefits of removing children from families of origin.”

That reminds me I never did watch The Wire. I should fix that. Is the streaming version in the original 4:3? I remember when the Blu-ray boxset of the series came out he was upset that HBO made it 16:9.

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

That reminds me I never did watch The Wire. I should fix that. Is the streaming version in the original 4:3? I remember when the Blu-ray boxset of the series came out he was upset that HBO made it 16:9.

Stop what you are doing and get to it NOW!!! 

• True 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Brick said:

I've watched the first handful of episodes. Seems like a pretty decent show so far. 

My wife and I are currently rewatching Deadwood, but will hop to this after. Thanks for the heads up!