I hope that someone loves you as much as SmoughTown loves the lore of Elden Ring

If VaatiVidya's lore videos weren't comprehensive enough for you, then I've got the solution!

Fromsoftwarian world-building sometimes has centuries explained away in item descriptions for random rusty spoons, which makes hunting down all the lore nuggets just as satisfying as surviving bosses. One YouTuber has done the heavy lifting on Elden Ring for us, thankfully, but it's also taken them over 35 hours to do so.

YouTuber SmoughTown has a knack for researching and explaining the lore behind several Soulslike hits, from Lords of the Fallen to the grand Dark Souls. Their latest series aims to explain "the entire lore" behind the studio's magnum opus Elden Ring and its fractured demigod-housing setting The Lands Between. 

How long can such an endeavor take? Well, the creator has been releasing smaller lore explanation videos since the open-worlder's initial launch, but they more recently put out three compilation videos that exceed 35 hours in runtime altogether. The epic trilogy runs through everything, from explaining the backstories behind characters such as Malenia to theorizing about cosmic mysteries and the ideas that were merely scratched at in-game.

The actual videos...if you dare!

• Hype 1

8 hours ago, Chris- said:

@Bacon binge it this weekend and report back on Monday. 

I give no fucks about ER lore. It is irrelevant to the story of the player character. I fucked the blue doll and that's about as much lore and story as I need.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I would be deeply uncomfortable receiving that much love. 

You wouldn’t like somebody exploring your every nook and cranny in great detail? Spending countless hours inside of you, both like it’s their job and as a place of comfort? Then sharing every bit of intimate knowledge about you with the world so others could know and love you like they do? 

I liked how the environmental story telling was in Elden Ring and learning the history of the world. Though that being said I didn’t find enough to know what has caused the collapse and decay all across the lands between. Like I always wondered what happened to cause nobles to become shambling zombie like things, seemingly trying to clutch onto the life they once had, even though it is far far from gone. I probably just needed to play more. 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Lore in Elden Ring? Did this even have a story?

Most of the lore is told by reading the item descriptions for items (weapons, armor, etc) and the through the state of the world (condition of buildings, trees, etc). That's how these guys are able to make these videos. Character conversations and side quests do establish the context, but they can be hard to find and are sparse, and you can also miss a lot of conversations/quests if you progress the main game too much.

• Halal 1

I'm sorry but if you're making 10+ hour videos you're doing it wrong, and in desperate need of an editor. Chop that thing up into multiple volumes if needed, but you should not be making one large video like that. 

• Wrong 1

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm sorry but if you're making 10+ hour videos you're doing it wrong, and in desperate need of an editor. Chop that thing up into multiple volumes if needed, but you should not be making one large video like that. 

Having not watched this new video, it has to be a compilation of his past work because I've watched his previous lore videos and I don't see how he can add anything new. Also looks like the chapter titles are the same as some videos he made last year.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:23 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

Having not watched this new video, it has to be a compilation of his past work because I've watched his previous lore videos and I don't see how he can add anything new. Also looks like the chapter titles are the same as some videos he made last year.

That's exactly what the three videos are!