I'd like to thank both the Jewish and Chinese people for allowing my Catholic family to participate in their cultural tradition today

Commissar SFLUFAN

I'm in South Florida with my mom and sister for my Christmas holiday and the people that we usually spend Christmas Day with are all out of town, so we've having a quiet day by ourselves (which is just fine with me!). 

Of course, there was no way in hell that we're actually gonna cook the usual Christmas meal for just the three of us so we called up our favorite local Chinese restaurant (Sun Sun Chinese Take-Out) and asked if they would be open on Christmas Day and were happily informed that they would be operating from 12pm to 10pm!   

Here's Sun Sun's location in case you're ever in Coral Springs, FL!

MAPS.APP.GOO.GL

★★★★☆ · Chinese restaurant

As my sister and I were waiting in line to pick up our order, we overheard two gentlemen discussing bar mitzvahs and we both remembered that it was very much traditional for the Jewish people to consume Chinese take-out food on Christmas Day!

chinese-restaurant-association-christmas

So, on behalf of the nominally Roman Catholic Steel family, we'd like to express our deepest appreciation to the Chinese and Jewish people for allowing us to partake in their own Christmas Day tradition!

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 3

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to I'd like to thank both the Jewish and Chinese people for allowing my Catholic family to participate in their cultural tradition today

Another part of the tradition is that the overall lack of dairy in Chinese food made it easy for the Jewish customers to be sure they wouldn't accidentally mix meat and dairy. No idea if the Chinese restaurants were accommodating Jews with kosher meat but easy enough to stay veggie, plus a lot of kosher Jews are less picky about being strictly kosher outside of their home as long as it's not blatant stuff like a cheeseburger. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

Yes, it's fine. More of a peking pork fan myself. Not a fan of any rice dishes and I think Japanese veggie dishes are way better, so it's a real mixed bag if we get Chinese. That and the rising prices mean it's not an easy fun cheap food anymore, it's just as pricey as everything else.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

And also you said you don't like rice so that implies you never had general tso chicken. 

General Tso's Chicken is not a rice dish. It is often served on top of rice or with a side of rice, but you can also get it without, especially at places that box rice separately.

Love most eggrolls (with sweet and sour sauce) but man, spring rolls suck ass, they're yard clipping burritos.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yes, it's fine. More of a peking pork fan myself. Not a fan of any rice dishes and I think Japanese veggie dishes are way better, so it's a real mixed bag if we get Chinese. That and the rising prices mean it's not an easy fun cheap food anymore, it's just as pricey as everything else.

General Tso's Chicken is not a rice dish. It is often served on top of rice or with a side of rice, but you can also get it without, especially at places that box rice separately.

I'm used to getting general tso with rice. But yea, I guess you can eat it without mixing it in the rice. You're correct about it being as pricey as everything else. 

I just a third of a tray of lasagna.

I also usually get some kind of chicken over lo mein, not chicken lo mein. Like, I have gotten general tso chicken over lo mein. But that's pretty rare as only one place makes a general tso chicken without using the awful standard thick and syrupy sauce. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Once I finish food from my last shop I’m definitely getting chinese food too yeah 

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

We do Chinese takeout on Christmas Eve - this year I got Mongolian beef with lo mein on the side, then mixed them together to make kind of a beef ho fun. It was delicious.

Do that, trust me. When have I steered you wong?

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Do that, trust me. When have I steered you wong?

Well actually remember I didn’t like those beef sticks much you recommended but you are back on top after the pizza. I usually get lo mein or chow mein and mix with a meat dish or two so I’ve done this combo before and would be pretty normal for me though! I also will sometimes get hot and sour soup and chow mein and mix them together to make a sort of Chinese pho.

19 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I got the teriyaki beef on a stick a few weeks ago and they were so chewy and almost inedible. Threw them in the air fryer for a few minutes and they came out banging.

Never gotten the beef as I'm a chicken man. Never had the chicken be bad tho unless it's from a buffet where it is often dry.