Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Might as well just keep it in one thread. MSI is gonna use an Intel CPU. Battery life so bad you might as well not even have a battery on it beyond CMOS. 

I want a like 10in tablet with a controller. Put in a 7600M and a really basic you unplugged it accidently battery. 

3 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Might as well just keep it in one thread. MSI is gonna use an Intel CPU. Battery life so bad you might as well not even have a battery on it beyond CMOS. 

I want a like 10in tablet with a controller. Put in a 7600M and a really basic you unplugged it accidently battery. 

I'm glad that MSI is throwing in an Intel CPU and GPU. Either the new gen is good enough to compete, or it just exposes how far behind Intel remains in low power situations and hopefully pushes them to do better. It's a good sign in general that Intel cares enough about the segment to put any effort into it at all.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm glad that MSI is throwing in an Intel CPU and GPU. Either the new gen is good enough to compete, or it just exposes how far behind Intel remains in low power situations and hopefully pushes them to do better. It's a good sign in general that Intel cares enough about the segment to put any effort into it at all.

Ya they have to be sponsoring this. It's a new growth market for them. Battery life is abyssmal on some i7 laptops vs my Ryzen m16. It might work though. I use it at home or at like friend's houses. I'd trade a weak dedicated GPU. I'd drop desktop/laptops for anything but a RTS. 

I think I would be most concerned with driver support especially for older games and emulation with intel here. But it will be interesting to see and either way more diversity in the players involved here is good for everyone.

It seems like the oled deck has held up quite well in tests for burn in and the screen auto shut off when idling should mean it’s fine for pretty much anyone not trying to break it. Persona would be particularly brutal I could see with its bright static UI elements, but should be fine these days even if you played it all day without a screen refresh.

Also Keyser’s first game is obviously going to be Crush Crush!

I thought I ran into a @stepee situation as I checked the front door multiple times and nothing. I go check the tracking email and they say they left it on the patio with a picture of it on the patio. What kind of MF just slides a package past a fence where no one, not even the recipient, will look? :|

• Shocked 2

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I thought I ran into a @stepee situation as I checked the front door multiple times and nothing. I go check the tracking email and they say they left it on the patio with a picture of it on the patio. What kind of MF just slides a package past a fence where no one, not even the recipient, will look? :|

Wonder if he knew what it was and put it there so nobody would steal it. I dunno, just a guess. Or maybe he was a dumbass. Either way I’m glad you got it!

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

so you got it tho?

Yes. Setting it up / updating it now.

Initial impression without having played anything, I think the back buttons are a bit more firm. The original deck you could always accidentally hit them because they were so sensitive.

22 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Wonder if he knew what it was and put it there so nobody would steal it. I dunno, just a guess. Or maybe he was a dumbass. Either way I’m glad you got it!

Well maybe more knowledgeable than the first time I got it, which was left by the door hence why I looked there. :p

• True 1

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Also Keyser’s first game is obviously going to be Crush Crush!

Not a bad idea but I've avoided it because I didn't want to deal with the cloud saves. Someone has done it though, looks alright minus the hair on the screen :sick:

spacer.png

• Hype 1

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Damn. I thought I had all my games on the card. I guess I installed most of them internally except for Monster Hunter Rise which is on the card. Time to download some stuff now!

I demand impressions damn it!

https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-claw-handheld-comes-with-intel-core-ultra-processor-pricing-starts-at-699

IMG-1569.jpg
 No OLED…..bummer. At least it has VRR. Happy to see Hall effect triggers and joysticks. WIFI 7 and BT 5.4 included.

If’s thirsty boy. It only has 3 profiles, 15w, 30w, and 45w! Hello wall outlet

Revenge Of The Nerds 80S GIF
assemble @legend @Mr.Vic20 @stepee @Spork3245

Please let me know what this means compared to current handhelds. I might upgrade if it’s another Deck to Ally level of boost. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Brian said:

https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-claw-handheld-comes-with-intel-core-ultra-processor-pricing-starts-at-699

IMG-1569.jpg
 No OLED…..bummer. At least it has VRR. Happy to see Hall effect triggers and joysticks. WIFI 7 and BT 5.4 included. 

Revenge Of The Nerds 80S GIF
assemble @legend @Mr.Vic20 @stepee @Spork3245

Please let me know what this means compared to current handhelds. I might upgrade if it’s another Deck to Ally level of boost. 

We will have to see how it performs in a handheld power profile but it looks pretty similar, with arc graphics providing a small gain on the gpu side. Here’s some tests someone did on laptops:

WWW.PHORONIX.COM

In recent days there have been leaks about an MSI 'CLAW' gaming handheld device set to be announced this coming week at CES in Las Vegas.

You’d probably be looking at pretty negligible gains, especially when factoring in more immature driver support on the arc side and intel typically performing a lot worse with emulation in general. Could still be a nice handheld but definitely does not appear to be one to upgrade an ally for.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Tetris popped with all the beautiful effects. The music was really relaxing.

Skyrim doesn't work so I deleted that. 

What happened with Skyrim? I just tested it because that surprised me and it worked fine without adjusting anything. If you were stuck on the first main screen, you just have to use the touchscreen and press on the play button.

It looks like the 8840u is also going to barely be any better than the 7840u so I’m not expecting big performance gains from handhelds this year beyond the Switch 2 upgrade from Switch 1. Which is unfortunate as I would like a Windows oled as well and would like a performance jump over ally along with that. BUT it also means if Lenovo/Asus want to do an upgrade this year it would make sense to make it oled!