Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5, 29 February 2024) - Release Date Announcement Trailer and PlayStation Blog developer interview

BloodyHell

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5) - February 29th, 2024!
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Summons, Gold Saucer mini-games, side quests, and more discussed in exclusive Q&A as game's release date confirmed for February 29.

Today’s State of Play included a brand-new look at Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. The trailer surely will delight both long-term FFVII fans as well as players eager to know what happens after the conclusion of Final Fantasy VII Remake, as Cloud and company embark on a journey that takes them to the world outside Midgar. In the trailer we caught glimpses of new party members, sprawling open areas to explore and the reimagining of some iconic moments from the original game.

Rather than leave you speculating, key staff on the game joined us to share not only more insight into the trailer, but also additional gameplay details about the game. That roundtable includes Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Producer Yoshinori Kitase, Creative Director Tetsuya Nomura, Director Naoki Hamaguchi and Music Supervisor Keiji Kawamori.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5, 29 February 2024) - Release Date Announcement Trailer and PlayStation Blog developer interview
1 hour ago, stepee said:

Damn that is soon! Maybe we get the pc version by the holidays!

Could be, the SquareEnix trailer says it won't come to other platforms until at least 5-29-24. That's a pretty small exclusivity window this time. Whether anything actually happens on that date though, who knows.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And your steam copy of FF7 Remake a year later?

:sickos:

lol na I’m okay with having an epic store collection, I have enough games there to warrant it’s existence on my pc. I prefer Steam and Epic needs to stop allowing games to not have cloud save, because it’s ridiculous and it screwed me on Kingdom Hearts 3 twice now, but I’m not super against it like some people.

I hope the game is good but I have no faith in Tetsuya Nomura and crew to capitalize on the crazy ass timey-wimey ending of Remake. I'm expecting a lot of "power of friendship" and convoluted timelines and multiple copies of the same characters so everyone gets to "live" in this version. I expect it's gonna be pretty bad but I hope I'm wrong. I'm thinking Kingdom Hearts levels of bullshit.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

A mild bummer, but not a surprise that your FF7 Remake save doesn't really carry over to the new game. You get some extra stuff, but that's it.

I would bet 12 pesos that after FFVII Revelations comes out that they do a "complete package" of some sort with extra work done to it that allows save transfers, or perhaps even make it one continuous game. :o

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I would bet 12 pesos that after FFVII Revelations comes out that they do a "complete package" of some sort with extra work done to it that allows save transfers, or perhaps even make it one continuous game. :o

With 100 hours on this second part, that might be 250 hours total once it’s all finished.

That would be something for one continuous experience.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I hope the game is good but I have no faith in Tetsuya Nomura and crew to capitalize on the crazy ass timey-wimey ending of Remake. I'm expecting a lot of "power of friendship" and convoluted timelines and multiple copies of the same characters so everyone gets to "live" in this version. I expect it's gonna be pretty bad but I hope I'm wrong. I'm thinking Kingdom Hearts levels of bullshit.

The trailer hints at "the reunion" being a convergence of timelines.

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Spoiler

It really wasn’t a crazy ending, they fought fate, which was trying to force them down the same path as their predecessors step for step. Now they can move forward knowing they are making their own choices. 

It’s a big spectacle, but the actual story telling is as simple as it gets. 

It also works exceptionally as a metaphor for the fans of the original who want a word for word remake and act like gatekeepers of of it.

18 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

The trailer hints at "the reunion" being a convergence of timelines.

I'm sure it will be handled with grace and intelligence . . . :p 

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:
  Hide contents

It really wasn’t a crazy ending, they fought fate, which was trying to force them down the same path as their predecessors step for step. Now they can move forward knowing they are making their own choices. 

It’s a big spectacle, but the actual story telling is as simple as it gets. 

It also works exceptionally as a metaphor for the fans of the original who want a word for word remake and act like gatekeepers of of it.

Yes, for a game that was originally just meant (we thought) to adapt the game in a straightforward manner, having Sephiroth come from a different timeline and change the entire outcome of the game, ostensibly making this a sequel or an alternate universe version of the story playing out is wild compared to what we expected. I like all of this in theory, but multiverse stories are usually done poorly so I'm not hopeful Nomura is gonna handle multiple timelines and multiple versions of the same characters with the same aplomb as, say, Across the Spider-Verse or Everything Everywhere All At Once. I didn't find the ending confusing at all but it was definitely a huge swerve for the franchise. I should be very clear that I like the tantalizing ending we got in Remake. I just don't have faith Nomura will successfully follow through because he's not good at this and multiverse stories are usually trash. But we'll see. My worry is it's gonna be "Tifa dies instead of Aerith, but oh wait we have a Tifa from a different timeline so we can replace her, all's good" type of shit. Nomura couldn't kill off anyone in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, just creating more and more variations on the same character. Sora is Sora, but Sora is also a heartless, and Sora is also Roxas. Every character is themselves, also a "heartless" and also a "nobody" and no one truly dies. If he applies this same BS anime storytelling to Rebirth, we're screwed.