Marvel VFX workers "unanimously" vote to unionize

VARIETY.COM

Marvel special effects workers have voted to unionize with IATSE.

In a historic move, Marvel Studios’ visual effects workers unanimously voted in favor of unionizing with the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) in an election held by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the company announced Wednesday.

This marks the first time a unit of solely VFX workers has unionized with IATSE.

The Marvel Studios workers initially filed for the election on Aug. 7, and votes were cast and collected between Aug. 21 and Sept. 11. During the count on Sept. 12, all votes were in favor of unionizing with IATSE and zero were against.

“Today, VFX workers at Marvel Studios spoke with a unanimous, collective voice, demanding fair pay for the hours they work, healthcare, a safe and sustainable working environment, and respect for the work they do,” Mark Patch, VFX organizer for IATSE, said in a statement. “There could be no stronger statement highlighting the overwhelming need for us to continue our work and bring union protections and standards to all VFX workers across the industry. And there could be no stronger example of the courage and solidarity of these workers than each and every one of them declaring ‘union YES!'”

• Halal 4

4 hours ago, silentbob said:

Unionize and maybe the VFX will look good again. I kid with all the Covid issues they dealt with, but then again, yeah. 

I think there is a distinct possibility they will. From what I've gathered, the problems with current VFX is not due to the VFX team, but because the management demands that most unrealistic schedule and quality drops because something has to give.

If they unionize and get better conditions quality may go up. But I suppose that's contingent on the union having enough leverage to change that!

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

They probably need to greatly increase the number of people working on each project. That's probably the only realistic way you can increase the quality of the VFX.

At some point this is like trying to make nine women have a baby in one month. It just doesn't work.

18 hours ago, silentbob said:

Unionize and maybe the VFX will look good again. I kid with all the Covid issues they dealt with, but then again, yeah. 

I’ve been kind of turned off with a lot of vfx that’s been put into movies and shows the last few years. So much of it is too over the top and just looks like people standing in green screen room. Could just be nostalgia, but I find myself enjoying and appreciating older movies a lot more.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I’ve been kind of turned off with a lot of vfx that’s been put into movies and shows the last few years. So much of it is too over the top and just looks like people standing in green screen room. Could just be nostalgia, but I find myself enjoying and appreciating older movies a lot more.

I'll take a practical, small-time car chase or real shootout in a 1990's or 2000's film (pre-CG) than any number of gonzo stupid CG action fests from a Marvel or DC film with no tactile feeling or weight. I just re-watched Antoine Fuqua's The Replacement Killers starring Chow Yun-Fat (making his English film debut) and it was so fucking refreshing to see practical action sequences (it's not The Raid or John Wick but few films are). Any time I now turn on an older movie it's one of the first things I notice: longer, frequently slower and quieter scenes. Films bother to include scenes of drama and character (even if only a few scenes) that slow things down rather than an action fest that just shuttles you from one story exposition point to played out action scene over and over again in an action adventure film. When the CG is well done, well incorporated and carries real weight (Eternals and Andor did this by shooting on practical, real sets in the real world) then I'm all for CG, but that's not how it's usually used, especially these days.

• Like 1
  • True 1

4 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

James Cameron movies hold up because he didn't use green screen for the background it was a projected background (or something of that nature)

• Halal 1

I’m with @Keyser_Sozewith less green screen background and more location scenes the better. I will say that in some scenes using the new tech with The Volume like in The Batman and Mandalorian used to overall great effect. I’m sure more tech like this will only getting better but it’s obviously less glaringly fake looking then seeing them do the same thing in front of a blank screen. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'll take a practical, small-time car chase or real shootout in a 1990's or 2000's film (pre-CG) than any number of gonzo stupid CG action fests from a Marvel or DC film with no tactile feeling or weight. I just re-watched Antoine Fuqua's The Replacement Killers starring Chow Yun-Fat (making his English film debut) and it was so fucking refreshing to see practical action sequences (it's not The Raid or John Wick but few films are). Any time I now turn on an older movie it's one of the first things I notice: longer, frequently slower and quieter scenes. Films bother to include scenes of drama and character (even if only a few scenes) that slow things down rather than an action fest that just shuttles you from one story exposition point to played out action scene over and over again in an action adventure film. When the CG is well done, well incorporated and carries real weight (Eternals and Andor did this by shooting on practical, real sets in the real world) then I'm all for CG, but that's not how it's usually used, especially these days.

I’ll add to that with the horror genre. I don’t have a lot of examples off the top of my head but one that sticks with me is the remake of the killer clown movie “It”.  Just didn’t find it scary with all the effects they chose to use. Some of it looked like something out of a video game.

• True 1