Biden administration ramps up deportations

230727-Deportation-Flights-Harlingen-Tex
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

According to the Department of Homeland Security, about 85,000 migrants have been “repatriated” since Title 42 was lifted. That’s up 65% since the same period last year.

But the reality at the border is more nuanced: The number of migrants arriving in the U.S. is still high, multiple law enforcement sources said. And the Biden administration has been ramping up deportations. 

A central part of that effort could be seen here on the tarmac at an airport in the Rio Grande Valley, where on Wednesday morning, more than 100 migrants — mostly women and children — were stepping off buses and onto a chartered plane that would take them back to Honduras. 

The flight is run by ICE Air, a program that charters multiple planes each week from several states to send migrants back to their home countries.  

This is a sad situation and more needs to be done to help these people.

• Guillotine 1

230725-migrants-asylum-mn-1520-2eb3eb.jp
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The administration had argued that its "asylum ineligibility rule" had cut the number of migrants crossing the border since May. The fight may now go to the Supreme Court.

A federal judge in San Francisco dealt a major blow to a signature piece of President Joe Biden’s immigration policy on Tuesday, calling its rule that limits who can apply for asylum at the southern border “both substantively and procedurally invalid.”

Lawyers for the Justice Department immediately responded by issuing a notice to appeal the decision in a higher court, and the case is likely to go all the way to the Supreme Court. The Biden administration is fighting to protect its “asylum ineligibility rule,” which requires asylum-seekers to schedule an appointment for an asylum hearing at a legal port of entry or prove that they had already sought and been denied asylum in another country while en route to the U.S.

Judge Jon Tigar also placed a 14-day stay on his own ruling before it takes effect. The delay may effectively keep the administration's asylum policy in place until the Supreme Court can weigh in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

What is the deal with Biden's immigration policy? You'd think he'd be a good bit better about it than Trump but unlike in other areas he's not.

What in Biden’s legislative history makes you think Biden’s policies would be very different than Trumps?

to be clear, im talking policy here, not rhetoric. 

52 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

What in Biden’s legislative history makes you think Biden’s policies would be very different than Trumps?

to be clear, im talking policy here, not rhetoric. 

Nothing when it comes specifically to immigration, but given how comparatively progressive he's been on other issues, I figured he'd be on this one too. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Nothing when it comes specifically to immigration, but given how comparatively progressive he's been on other issues, I figured he'd be on this one too. 

Bad executive game theory relative to a stacked judiciary, the right-wing Border Control (police writ large), and being politically scared of their own shadow. 

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It would seem like it - I suppose Biden is doing "this is for them" on this issue.

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think you’re giving too much weight to progressive “lip service”. He did a few progressive things that he knew was setup to fail imo (like student loans forgiveness) but he hasn’t even tried to fill most of his progressive positions. 

15$ minimum wage comes to mind. He abandoned that before he was even sworn in.

And I’m not trying to say Biden isn’t better than Trump, Trump is human trash. But his actual policies and voting history certainly don’t stray far from Republicans. 

Frankly, I have no use for him or any official who voted for forcing the Railroad Workers union back to work without 7 days leave. That one disgusts me. And that includes the so called progressives who bent the knee. 

43 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I think you’re giving too much weight to progressive “lip service”. He did a few progressive things that he knew was setup to fail imo (like student loans forgiveness) but he hasn’t even tried to fill most of his progressive positions. 

And I’m not trying to say Biden isn’t better than Trump, Trump is human trash. But his actual policies and voting history certainly don’t stray far from Republicans. 

Frankly, I have no use for him or any official who voted for forcing the Railroad Workers union back to work without 7 days leave. That one disgusts me. And that includes the so called progressives who bent the knee. 

@Keyser_Soze is this AI?

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

These successes don't come off as lip service, and certainly strays far from Republican policies, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.