Xbox Live subscription changes, Update: Lowest tier still $60 annually

crispy4000

21 years after its creation, the term "Xbox Live" will be retired.
- "Xbox Live Gold" will be replaced with "Xbox Game Pass Core" on September 1, 2023.
- You will need to subscribe to the "Core" service to get online multiplayer and other benefits.
- "Core" will cost the same as "Live Gold" ($9.99 per month / $59.99 per year).
- All existing Live Gold subscribers will be converted to Core.
- The "Core" service offers 25+ Game Pass games: Among Us, Descenders, Dishonored 2, DOOM Eternal, Fable Anniversary, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Grounded, Halo 5: Guardians, Halo Wars 2, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Human Fall Flat, INSIDE, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Psychonauts 2, State of Decay 2, and The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. (MS says this list will grow in the coming months)
- Free Games with Gold will also end on September 1.
- Free games previously earned with Live Gold will remain in users' accounts.
- "Core" subscribers will still receive the same discounts on purchases as Game Pass subscribers.

f63f0cf9-3c35-453a-blfd4r.jpeg

So basically:

- Unlocking online multiplayer on console still costs $60 annually.  PC multiplayer remains free.

- The game collection on “Core” (formerly Gold) could have been a response to the now concluded PS+ collection.

- You can get Games Pass for $112 annually if you choose to forgo online multiplayer, xcloud and EA games.

- Games with Gold ending.

- No PC Games Pass price increase.  PC gamers get a much better deal than “Core” for the same price.

Overall these changes give a bit more choice and value to those not needing the full package.  It still leverages multiplayer in a scummy way on console, but slightly less than before. The Games Pass library can (mostly) be decoupled from it, and the 25 game library in Core is an improvement on what GwG became.

• Thanks 1

And it's now official:

GamePassCore_Hero-89825dcf0f0ced222241.j
NEWS.XBOX.COM

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give players more choice and value by introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, launching on September 14. Game Pass Core is the evolution of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass Core will give players access to our advanced multiplayer network, a select collection of over 25 games to play with friends […]

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Rumor: Xbox Live subscription changes, update: officially announced
  • Players can continue to access any Xbox One games they previously redeemed through Games with Gold if they remain a Game Pass Core or Game Pass Ultimate member.
  • Regardless of subscription status, any Xbox 360 titles redeemed via Games with Gold in the past will be kept in a player’s library.

They couldn't flip the switch for Xbox One games, huh.  Sony still does the same with PS+.

I wish they all could take a page from Amazon and Epic and let you keep the games outright.

• Among Us
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Grounded
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Inside
  • Ori & The Will of the Wisps
  • Psychonauts 2
  • State of Decay 2
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

The more people that play Psychonauts 2 the better.

That is at least 1 too many tiers and the console tier is notably worse than PC which is cheaper. They should just get rid of core and adjust the console tier to include online multiplayer (Ultimate still is an upgrade with EA Play, PC and cloud games).

6 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

That is at least 1 too many tiers and the console tier is notably worse than PC which is cheaper. They should just get rid of core and adjust the console tier to include online multiplayer (Ultimate still is an upgrade with EA Play, PC and cloud games).

They should just let everyone play multiplayer like on PC and let the library offerings speak for themselves.

It’s very silly they charge for online gameplay still (any company). Especially when there’s a direct platform to compare to that doesn’t. 

As dumb as it is, I guess I do have an odd nostalgia for the term “Xbox Live” so a part of me died today. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Just bought 3 more months of Ultimate on CDKeys for $29.99 :p 

Stock up on Xbox Live cards and get in on the converting that to ultimate later. I think I’m just over year into the 3 I loaded up on. Worked out to just over $5cnd a month for me. 

Dude it was 3AM!!! IDK I am so out of the loop on things like that tbh. Just a cursury look made me go "I think I'm getting gyped with this new pay structure." I just see it as unfair that in order to get the same service one has had for the entire time on Live, all of a sudden is no more & in turn makes you pay more. That's where I was coming from.

• Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Dude it was 3AM!!! IDK I am so out of the loop on things like that tbh. Just a cursury look made me go "I think I'm getting gyped with this new pay structure." I just see it as unfair that in order to get the same service one has had for the entire time on Live, all of a sudden is no more & in turn makes you pay more. That's where I was coming from.

Seems to just be a name change more than anything with XBL vs Core going by the monthly price. We’ll have to see if the discount for buying 1 year at a time is the same, though. Only other major change is that there doesn’t seem to be Games with Gold going forward: instead Gamepass Core gives you access to an assortment of 25 games. :hug:

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

$9.99/month for Gamepass Core is the same as the monthly price for Xbox Live though :confused:

EDIT:  Botched this, $60 annually was announced.  I'll preserve this post below and the rest of the convo, but yes, I was in the wrong.

The (official) option to purchase it annually for $60 is gone.  Technically, this is a price hike at the bottom tier equivalent to what they went attempted and backtracked from with Gold.  Just with more substantial perks than GWG.

The way Microsoft suggests you pay the old price for multiplayer going forward is subscribing to Ultimate… Or playing on PC. :silly:

Sony’s got a clear price advantage with the bottom tier now, and they seem to still care about those monthly redeemable games being alright. Gotta wonder if Microsoft waited until Sony shut down the PS+ collection (at the $60 annual tier) to avoid the direct comparison.

This could all change soon however.  Sony will gouge us more at some point in response.  And you just know Nintendo is eyeing this shit with dollar signs as they look to a console transition.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Was this officially stated? Can you even purchase Core cards yet?

The only thing officially stated is that Core is $9.99 a month.

If there was a half off discount when purchased annually, like Gold, they would have mentioned it.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

If there was a half off discount when purchased annually, like Gold, they would have mentioned it.

Not necessarily. On those charts they typically always just showed monthly and not the multi-month cards. It’s speculation until it’s out.

Without the cards currently you can get Xbox live gold for 1 month for $9.99 or 3 months for $24.99. That works out to around $120 or $100 (3 months cards) so you save the more you buy. If there are 12 months cards it should be cheaper and this is priced the same as XBL, it's just named differently for lazy farts who didn't want to switch to game pass. No price jacking up here.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Without the cards currently you can get Xbox live gold for 1 month for $9.99 or 3 months for $24.99. That works out to around $120 or $100 (3 months cards) so you save the more you buy. If there are 12 months cards it should be cheaper and this is priced the same as XBL, it's just named differently for lazy farts who didn't want to switch to game pass. No price jacking up here.

And 6 months is usually $40 and 12 months usually $55-60. However, we don’t know either way regarding new pricing until the Core cards are out. Though, I kinda (HIGHLY) doubt MSFT would let Sony significantly out-price them for a yearly membership for the baseline membership. :p 

40 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Not necessarily. On those charts they typically always just showed monthly and not the multi-month cards. It’s speculation until it’s out.

You’ve got that entirely backwards.  It’s speculative that they’ll offer a bigger discount than they’ve announced.  Retailers may on those cards, granted.

No other tier of Games Pass offers an official annual discount (outside of sign up promotions).  And we knew Microsoft wanted $120 yearly out of Gold.  So the supporting evidence is strong that this is it if you automate payments.

34 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So they're not price jacking if they're not price jacking.  Which we don't know for sure unless they announce Core discounts. Gotcha.

To be fair, jacking is probably the wrong word.  Core is a different product than Gold.  It could be argued that there's double the value in it.

30 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Though, I kinda (HIGHLY) doubt MSFT would let Sony significantly out-price them for a yearly membership for the baseline membership. :p 

*cough cough*

5f5b8bee7ed0ee001e25ec50?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Current 6- and 12-month Gold members won't see prices increase, but anyone who signs up for a new monthly plan moving forward will pay more.

It wasn't Sony that made them change it back.

When has Microsoft ever been scared to charge more than Sony?  Its part of Xbox Live's history itself.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

So they're not price jacking if they're not price jacking. 

The monthly price is exactly the same. That’s the only official data we have as of your post.

Which we don't know for sure unless they announce discounts. Gotcha.

… yes… because you’re using pure speculation as fact otherwise.

*cough cough*

5f5b8bee7ed0ee001e25ec50?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Current 6- and 12-month Gold members won't see prices increase, but anyone who signs up for a new monthly plan moving forward will pay more.

It wasn't Sony that made them change it back.

Holding up something that didn’t happen as anything is a weird hill to stand on.

When has Microsoft ever been scared to charge more than Sony?  Its part of Xbox Live's history itself.

I stated “significantly” and if you’re referencing PS2/PS3… well… I think you’ve blocked out how bad the consistency was for PS2/PS3’s online on a game-to-game basis compared to XBL, which immediately showed its value and is why Sony copied it :p 

Oh, Microsoft.

They probably could be the market leader if they didn't keep tripping over their own feet. I'm primarily an Xbox gamer but it's like watching your kid play baseball and he finally hits the ball but runs the wrong direction around the bases.

At this point as an Xbox fan I've just learned to take a deep breath and say "yeah... that's mine..."

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The monthly price is exactly the same. That’s the only official data we have as of your post.

Yes, so further discounts are speculation at this point.

Holding up something that didn’t happen as anything is a weird hill to stand on.

It's about the why it didn't.  Adding to what you said:

I (HIGHLY) doubt MSFT would let Sony significantly out-price them for a yearly membership for the baseline membership if enough gamers complained about it.

If gamers didn't make a stink about it, Xbox Live Gold would have already been $120 annually for the past two years.  I don't think they'd get the same blowback from Core.

Oh, and if Microsoft got away with it back then, I HIGHLY doubt that Sony would still be at $60 for the baseline membership. ;)

I stated “significantly” and if you’re referencing PS2/PS3… well… I think you’ve blocked out how bad the consistency was for PS2/PS3’s online on a game-to-game basis compared to XBL, which immediately showed its value and is why Sony copied it :p 

And that's why Valve charges a monthly fee too on the Deck.  Oh wait, they don't.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes, so further discounts are speculation at this point.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

However, we don’t know either way regarding new pricing until the Core cards are out.

Gee.

I honestly have no idea what you’re even arguing here. I stated we have no idea if there is or isn't a price increase for Core vs Gold multiple times :p 

It's about the why it didn't.  Adding to what you said:

I (HIGHLY) doubt MSFT would let Sony significantly out-price them for a yearly membership for the baseline membership if enough gamers complained about it.

If gamers didn't make a stink about it, Xbox Live Gold would have already been $120 annually for the past two years.  I don't think they'd get the same blowback from Core.

Exactly… it didn’t happen… soooooo :shrug:

Oh, and if Microsoft got away with it back then, I HIGHLY doubt that Sony would still be at $60 for the baseline membership. ;)

Except it didn’t happen 

And that's why Valve charges a monthly fee too on the Deck.  Oh wait, they don't.

This has nothing to do with anything. The console online experience pre-memberships was not the same as the PC online experience which had decades of development.

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Exactly… it didn’t happen… soooooo :shrug:

So Microsoft makes their calls on pricing based on consumer feedback moreso than taking cues from Sony.  That's the point it illustrates.

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This has nothing to do with anything. The console online experience pre-memberships was not the same as the PC online experience which had decades of development.

I cited the Deck for a reason.  Dedicated gaming hardware with no online fee in 2023!  Woot.

I was mistaken about the annual sub not being there, they're keeping it at $60.  It's in the article posted earlier.

GamePassCore_Hero-Copy-954ad4c0a1b59480c
NEWS.XBOX.COM

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give players more choice and value by introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, launching on September 14. Game Pass Core is the evolution of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass Core will give players access to our advanced multiplayer network, a select collection of over 25 games to play with friends […]