“I’m going to leave aside the strangeness of trying to prove your manhood by putting up a video that splices images of you in between oiled-up, shirtless bodybuilders."

230702-pete-buttigieg-jm-1038-3d98bd.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The transportation secretary, who is openly gay, criticized a video reposted by DeSantis' team that goes after Trump on LGBTQ issues and features images of "shirtless bodybuilders."

This in response to the most homophobic and transphobic ad a campaign has shared in a while, which is saying a lot, as he tries to prove he's worse on LGBTQ issues than Trump.

desantis-florida-election-ap-lv-230702_1
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Ron DeSantis' campaign shared a video mocking Trump past support of the LGBTQ community, drawing backlash from Pete Buttigieg and others

The campaign video was originally created by another account and has a sarcastic and dramatic tone, mixing news footage, headlines and clips from pop culture. It cuts together other Trump statements, such as him once saying he was fine with Caitlyn Jenner using any bathroom she chose and him saying transgender women could compete in his beauty pageant, along with a photo of him holding the rainbow LGBTQ flag and a past tweet celebrating Pride.

DeSantis' campaign contrasts Trump's record with his own. The video they shared touts the governor's support for controversial restrictions on LGBTQ people, particularly those who are transgender, including banning gender-affirming medical care for trans youth.

Buttigieg's response: “I’m going to leave aside the strangeness of trying to prove your manhood by putting up a video that splices images of you in between oiled-up, shirtless bodybuilders and just get to the bigger issue that is on my mind whenever I see this stuff in the policy space, which is, again: Who are you trying to help? Who are you trying to make better off?"

I know the Desantis team didn't directly make that ad, but the very fact that they saw it and said, "YES, we need to share this on our official account" is bad enough.

Ron DeSantis is a piece of shit and anyone who likes him at all can fucking just go die in a hole.

• True 1

I feel like Buttigieg is consistently very good at reacting to the more bizarre and provocative things that come out of the GOP. "Who are you trying to help?" is not only a great line, but a great first principle for politicians in general. I feel like it's a question that should be asked more often.

Of all the Dems that ran for President last go around, he's been the one whose stock has risen highest in my mind.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I feel like Buttigieg is consistently very good at reacting to the more bizarre and provocative things that come out of the GOP. "Who are you trying to help?" is not only a great line, but a great first principle for politicians in general. I feel like it's a question that should be asked more often.

Of all the Dems that ran for President last go around, he's been the one whose stock has risen highest in my mind.

Man's conniving at the very least, certainly not stupid. Sure he's a dick, but you have to be in order to run for office anyways.

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

He’s also exceptional at reframing the teachings of Jesus (and to a lesser degree the Bible) as antithetical to the modern Republican Party.