Summer Game Fest 2023 Reaction Thread

Brian

They have to be. It makes no sense to distract from your new game that is coming out in just 14 days by showing the sequel for your previous major entry. Shit, I'd call that practically abandoning a sinking ship.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly what I'm taking from this as well :lol:

In fact, they've been posting status updates on the development of Rebirth on Twitter all week long.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

They have to be. It makes no sense to distract from your new game that is coming out in just 14 days by showing the sequel for your previous major entry. Shit, I'd call that practically abandoning a sinking ship.

Eh, Rebirth is out early next year.  I could have seen them holding it for TGS perhaps, but they also had the opportunity to be the headlining act here.  And I doubt more talk of Final Fantasy will hurt 16.

I think Sony being mostly absent here hurts their show even more.  No TLOU-remake like announcement.  Silver lining is FF7 Rebirth’s release date.  So with SquareEnix’s help, their slate of exclusives in the near term isn’t too bad.

Geoff’s show could have benefitted from some of those 3rd party games announced in Sony’s.  Or least they could have done away with that absolutely worthless Alan Wake 2 demonstration.  I prefer to see gameplay, yes, but that was like watching paint dry.

Geoff has this strange thing for Korean and Chinese F2P games and MMOs.  I get that they look better than most would expect, but I don’t think many people are getting hyped for them regardless.  Maybe these devs secretly are the ones making bank, and Geoff follows the money.

I'm really happy about a new 2D Price of Persia and Sega's new attempt at modern 2D Sonic.  Sandland could be okay, I'm glad Bandi Namco isn't just doing another established anime property again.  Banishers and Witchfire might end up being something worthwhile.  Maybe we even see some of these playable, with honest-to-goodness hands on impressions from journalists???

This could have been much worse.  If Sony actually delivered, we could have seen Dragon's Dogma 2, Talos Principle 2, Sword of the Sea, Ghostrunner 2, etc saved for this.  It’s their fault, if anyone's.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So Geoff stole the biggest showstoppers from Sony. The Sony show would have had a much needed punch in the arm if they had the Spiderman 2 release date and the Rebirth trailer. :p

Rebirth could have helped a little, but wouldn't fix the fundamental problem.