Disney's ($1,200 per person/night) Galactic Starcruiser Hotel becomes one with the Force in late September

107020592-1645758000218-0108ZO_2335MS.JP
WWW.CNBC.COM

Disney World's Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser is closing and will make its final voyage this September after being open for only more than a year.

Disney World’s Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, a two-day hotel experience, is closing and will make its final voyage this September after being open for only more than a year.

The experience blends elements of the company’s resorts, cruise lines and theme parks into a 48-hour romp in space. First teased during Disney’s D23 Expo in 2019, the Galactic Starcruiser, located near the company’s Orlando, Florida-based Disney World Resort opened in March 2022.

The voyage costs around $1,200 per person per day, with family packages reaching closer to $6,000 for the two-day excursion. That can be a hard number to digest, especially considering a typical Disney vacation for a family of four can cost that much for a week-long trip, depending on hotel and restaurant choices.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Disney's ($1,200 per person/night) Galactic Starcruiser Hotel becomes one with the Force in late September

I’m curious what they are going to do with the hotel now. None of the articles I’ve seen have any insights, including the Disney world gossip blogs

56 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m curious what they are going to do with the hotel now. None of the articles I’ve seen have any insights, including the Disney world gossip blogs

From what I recall from some impressions I read, the rooms were not particularly comfortable, especially given the price. I'd also have to imagine that the building itself has a lot of specialty space for all the theatrics and what not. So my guess is that it wouldn't be particularly worthwhile to just convert it to a regular hotel.

Kind of a shame, since a heavily themed Star Wars hotel that wasn't a LARP would be cool.

I know Star Wars is still a major cultural force... but I have to wonder if some of these bets included the expectations that the sequel trilogy and their plan to fart out an endless stream of Star Wars content were met with more enthusiasm and general success...

They only have themselves to blame for putting out a sub par product as the foundation for all this stuff...

56 minutes ago, ort said:

I know Star Wars is still a major cultural force... but I have to wonder if some of these bets included the expectations that the sequel trilogy and their plan to fart out an endless stream of Star Wars content were met with more enthusiasm and general success...

They only have themselves to blame for putting out a sub par product as the foundation for all this stuff...

Galaxy’s Edge is ridiculously popular at both Disney Parks, the real issue is that boutique resort experiences don’t fit with the types of customers who are doing Disney vacations. For the vast majority, it’s already a big deal to afford even the cheapest resorts at WDW. So now you’re creating the most premium priced experience with the most narrow interested customer pool of any of your resorts. That is just a tough row to hoe. But I kinda like them swinging for the fences on immersive experiences.

Obviously that has worked out terrifically with rides like Rise of the Resistance, much less so with resorts like Galactic Star Cruiser.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Galaxy’s Edge is ridiculously popular at both Disney Parks, the real issue is that boutique resort experiences don’t fit with the types of customers who are doing Disney vacations. For the vast majority, it’s already a big deal to afford even the cheapest resorts at WDW. So now you’re creating the most premium priced experience with the most narrow interested customer pool of any of your resorts. That is just a tough row to hoe. But I kinda like them swinging for the fences on immersive experiences.

Obviously that has worked out terrifically with rides like Rise of the Resistance, much less so with resorts like Galactic Star Cruiser.

there is still time for us to go let’s room

On 5/19/2023 at 3:25 PM, ort said:

No amount of love for the sequel trilogy is going to solve the fact that this is a several thousand dollar two day LARP experience where you don’t see the out of doors.  Yeah, there are enough Star Wars weirdos out there to make that work on some sort of scale, but all year every year?  No.  You’re paying an absurd premium and you get to go on each of the Star Wars rides at the park once.