Daft Punk released a RAM anniversary album with 9 new tracks! On Spotify now!

10 years?! Thanks for making me feel old, Daft Punk.

RAM is pretty solid but am still a little bummed that this ended up being their swan song. I could have used like one more electronic dance album from them. The final track Contact felt like a taste of what to expect from a future Daft Punk album, a proper evolution of their electronic sound, but sadly that turned out to just be wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 1

I found this to be pretty underwhelming... not really any "new" new tracks, right? It's been a while since I've listened to RAM in it's entirety, but this didn't feel very new to me. Mostly similar remixes and extended bonus stuff...

8 hours ago, Kamusha said:

10 years?! Thanks for making me feel old, Daft Punk.

RAM is pretty solid but am still a little bummed that this ended up being their swan song. I could have used like one more electronic dance album from them. The final track Contact felt like a taste of what to expect from a future Daft Punk album, a proper evolution of their electronic sound, but sadly that turned out to just be wishful thinking on my part.

I have loved that Daft Punk were Robots. I mean, I get that they are real people but I liked buying in to the whole gimmick that these Robots were making music that only these two robots could make. RAM was not a very robot album. Maybe it makes sense in the story for their final work to be the most human but I was not a fan.

26 minutes ago, johnny said:

the real crime is we never got another ALIVE show/album 

Listened to Daft Punk all the time back in those days but I had no idea about the tour. Biggest regret. They are only one of two bands that I have ever wanted to see live. Seen Tenacious D, but doubt I'll ever see Daft Punk cuz the one robot is exploded. Breaks my heart.

Daft Punk is not something that I have on my daily playlist, but I respect the shitpiss out of them.

They just made what they wanted to make when they wanted to make it.

Like recently I learned that Avenged Sevenfold went 7 years between albums, and they're basically like "we're not going to make an album just because it's been 2 years since the last one. We'll make one when we feel it." I respect it when artists just do what they want.

Not that I DON'T respect artists that make music for the sake of the masses. I have zero problem with, like, Florida Georgia Line, for example. You do you. Sometimes I'll listen to them. I listened to Teenage Daydream by Katy Perry a lot when it came out (that whole album was written by Max Martin, the guy is a musical genius. If you don't know, now you know)

But anyway, Daft Punk are also musical geniuses. Do is Deadmau5, as long as we're talking the EDM realm.

I was initially underwhelmed by RAM because it wasn't Discovery, but as a final album it's perfect. They'd refined their style to the point that simply continuing to make their brand of techno wasn't going to cut it. RAM is the perfect coda for their run. It's an appendix of their influences, the history of their genre, collaborations with their contemporaries, and a few final songs in their classic style. Contact still gives me chills and Touch has to be my most-listened Daft Punk song. I'd welcome a real comeback, but if that never happens RAM is a fantastic self-erected monument to their career.