People are ‘ghosting’ at work, and it's driving companies crazy

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/people-ghosting-work-its-driving-companies-crazy-chip-cutter/

Where once it was companies ignoring job applicants or snubbing candidates after interviews, the world has flipped. Candidates agree to job interviews and fail to show up, never saying more. Some accept jobs, only to not appear for the first day of work, no reason given, of course. Instead of formally quitting, enduring a potentially awkward conversation with a manager, some employees leave and never return. Bosses realize they’ve quit only after a series of unsuccessful attempts to reach them. The hiring process begins anew.

Among younger generations, ghosting has “almost become a new vocabulary” in which “no response is a response,” says Amanda Bradford, CEO and founder of The League, a dating app. Now, “that same behavior is happening in the job market,” says Bradford, who’s experienced it with engineering candidates who ghosted her company.

Suddenly, calls and texts went unreturned. Weech asked a colleague to reach out; he also got nowhere. Weech sent playful notes: “Please let me know that you have not been kidnapped by aliens. I’m worried about you.” She left voicemails. Then she started to get concerned: Was there an emergency in the candidate’s family? An illness? Car accident? Determined to make contact, Weech bought a greeting card and sent it via snail mail. Over three weeks, the engineer ignored a dozen messages.

Weech had been ghosted at work.

“Candidates are winding up with multiple offers, and you can’t accept them all,” says Dawn Fay, district president at Robert Half International in New York. “Individuals just inherently don’t like conflict or disappointing people.”

100% of the people who have done this to me have been over 40. Also I would say that when I’ve gotten far enough in th job application process to get a face to face interview, the number of companies that let me know I won’t be receiving an offer is < 10%.

Dunno if it’s the industry, the geography... whatever. But in my experience whenever I read articles like this about how younger workers behave, it’s almost always the more experienced, older people who I see doing those things. 

6 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Aww poor bosses getting a taste of their own medicine

I don't like doing it, myself, but this is pretty much a result of this same behavior coming from interviewing companies. I don't know how many times I've gone in for first, second, or even third time interviews and then complete radio silence. After a while I'll just assume I didn't get the job. That happens to you enough, it's bound to start going the other way. If enough time goes by, I'll just write the company off as someone I don't ever want to work.

So here's my shocked face. I'm shocked that something that companies that have made this kind of professionalism a norm are now dealing with the repercussions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rc0101 said:

Does no one call their previous employer after the interview? I would think just not showing up to work would come back to bite you in the ass once a potential employer called around. 

Employers can't give negative feedback on those calls to previous employers. All you can do it confirm the days they worked there and titles.

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Employers can't give negative feedback on those calls to previous employers. All you can do it confirm the days they worked there and titles.

That's the rule but from experience employers don't follow that once you ask if they would rehire them. 

-edit - is that even a legit rule? I know our company follows this but I'm not sure if it's law? Or just best practice? 

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't like doing it, myself, but this is pretty much a result of this same behavior coming from interviewing companies. I don't know how many times I've gone in for first, second, or even third time interviews and then complete radio silence. After a while I'll just assume I didn't get the job. That happens to you enough, it's bound to start going the other way. If enough time goes by, I'll just write the company off as someone I don't ever want to work.

So here's my shocked face. I'm shocked that something that companies that have made this kind of professionalism a norm are now dealing with the repercussions.

Right.

The article seems to be of the "damn millenials!" variety, but I would chalk this up to the improving job market.

We went from about 7 or 8 years of employers generally being able to treat employees like trash because unemployment was high and they were disposable.

The reason there is an uptick in employees ghosting is because more people have the ability to take or leave a certain job.

Employers just can't lie. HR departments are loathe is give out details for fear of a lawsuit, the natural predator of HR departments. That's why most just verify dates of employment and title. They could also ask if that person is eligible for rehire. If no, then the new potential employer could surmise that the applicant isn't a good fit for hire.

For face-to-face interviews, I’ve received notice that I won’t be receiving an offer about 5% of the time.  These are law offices with at least one administrative worker.  Apparently they can’t be bother to spend one minute on a stock letter or email.

The only people who have reliably sent letters after interviews are public defenders, which isn’t surprising.  

Yeah, employers have gotten really bad at actually communicating with those who apply. And they've always treated it as if they're the rock stars with the jobs and everyone else just has to do as they feel. I'm not all that upset that the ball is in the other court now. And I think far too many people are trying to treat this as an age thing (ridiculing millenials) when it's really not connected to that.

43 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

100% of the people who have done this to me have been over 40. Also I would say that when I’ve gotten far enough in th job application process to get a face to face interview, the number of companies that let me know I won’t be receiving an offer is < 10%.

Dunno is it’s the industry, the geography... whatever. But in my experience whenever I read articles like this about how younger workers behave, it’s almost always the more experienced, older people who I see doing those things. 

I once had an interview go something like three hours, including toward the end asking if I could stay longer while they went and got someone else they thought would want to talk with me. 

Never heard back. Eventually wrote to follow up, and that never resulted in getting an actual answer back either. It's hard not to conclude they were simply bored when I went in for the interview. 

I've done this ONCE to an employer.

ONCE. And I was completely justified.

I was working for an independent film production and was asked to doctor insurance papers (i.e. insurance fraud) because the director and lead actor never got the proper insurance done for the shoots. I immediately stopped returning calls and emails to both the lead actor, the producer, and the supporting actor (one of my closest friends, which put a strain on our friendship for years). It makes my heart sing knowing that shit movie never saw the light of day outside of one or two screenings at a local venue.