The Flash trailer

5timechamp

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nah, imagine making a good Justice League movie and whipping that nostalgia whip over and over for the second half of the movie. I think it is a legit billion dollar global threat.

Digitally resurrected Christopher Reeve confirmed.

• True 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Gotta be honest, this last trailer actually sorta makes me like Ezra as Barry, that's freaking wild!

Miller is very good in this movie

DC has no luck with this movie fan service cameo/easter egg already being spoiled..  the fight for clicks has really gone into we dont care mode

really looking forward to this.. we shall see how much of the overall Keaton bats has already been shown.. curious for the Flash and Batfleck (non-Snyder) as well

Just now, 5timechamp said:

DC has no luck with this movie fan service cameo/easter egg already being spoiled..  the fight for clicks has really gone into we dont care mode

really looking forward to this.. we shall see how much of the overall Keaton bats has already been shown.. curious for the Flash and Batfleck (non-Snyder) as well

Also I feel like this movie was finished in 2011, so it's a miracle shit didn't leak literal years ago :p 

• 3 weeks later...
The-Flash-7.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

"The Flash" opens at the box office against Pixar's "Elemental."

@sblfilms any thoughts on why this would be on track to underperform despite the good word of mouth? I've told friends I've heard it's good but they seem to have lost faith in DC... Shazam may actually be HURTING this.

I know you said Elementals isn't good so no surprise there.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
The-Flash-7.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

"The Flash" opens at the box office against Pixar's "Elemental."

@sblfilms any thoughts on why this would be on track to underperform despite the good word of mouth? I've told friends I've heard it's good but they seem to have lost faith in DC... Shazam may actually be HURTING this.

I know you said Elementals isn't good so no surprise there.

I think both are from currently distressed brands. But I also think Flash opens there, or maybe a little higher, and then holds pretty well for a solid run over all because it is quite the crowd pleaser. Just anecdotally from talking to customers who are of the more nerdy variety, they just don't have much faith in a DC film at this point.

I liked what I've seen of Elemental so far (I tried to watch the rest of it this morning, but got busy), but I think it's a difficult concept to market well and I'm 100% sure the message of the film will be twisted up by the conservative media machine as another example of Disney "wokeness", which is clearly hurting Disney animated films in conservative areas when you look up sales numbers by geographic region.

2 hours ago, Zeluge said:

@sblfilms assuming you've seen Zack Snyder's Seminal Masterpiece The Justice League, how essential is it for viewing The Flash? I refuse to watch it, just want to know how much of a blind spot to expect.

I haven’t watched anything all the way through after…BvS or WW

i didn’t have any problem following the plot. I’m sure there are things I missed though. 

Early word of mouth may have overblown things a bit, the critics' RottenTomatoes score is "top" critics' is 54% (6/10 average rating) and "all" critics' score is 68% (6.3/10 average rating) which to me says it's just a solid comic book movie and little more. I'm sure audiences will like it more than critics but given how hurt the brand also is by now I'm not expecting a lot.

My assessment of reaction is pretty simple: the more into super heroes stuff you are, the LESS people like it. I also notice people not liking the CG, but I kinda feel like that’s par for the recent course on all these big budget flicks in the post Covid era.

I’ll be interested to see the Cinemascore stuff as the response I’m seeing at our variiys sites would lead me to think B+ or maybe A- overall. Higher with 30-50s, lower with 13-29. Keaton is great and I think those in that 30-50 range who have an affinity for him will very much like what they see.

Managed to see it today. In terms of personal enjoyment compared to other recent superhero stuff for me, I'd say more than Love and Thunder but less than Multiverse of Madness (which I really liked a lot as a Raimi mark, I know people's mileage varied there). It's pretty good in general and occasionally just straight up good. I don't think the movie overall is ever great, BUT I will say the ONLY reasons this thing coalesces are Miller and Keaton, who lend a level of sincerity and quality that the rest of the movie never keeps up with. The two of them ARE great in this and without them I'd say this thing would be a shit show. Shoutout to Maribel Verdu also.

It's an extremely Flash affair, an extremely DC affair in the classic sense, it's kind of a Snyder affair (but not in the worst ways). It's way too fucking long and has zero business pushing two and a half hours. If you're wondering whether or not delays and baggage of getting this made are apparent in the final product the answer is a resounding YES. And the effects fluctuate from looking extremely good to distractingly bad, like... worse than Disney+ Marvel and Star Wars shows.

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My assessment of reaction is pretty simple: the more into super heroes stuff you are, the LESS people like it. I also notice people not liking the CG, but I kinda feel like that’s par for the recent course on all these big budget flicks in the post Covid era.

I can buy into that. It's never bad but if you've got superhero fatigue I don't think this is the cure unless you're super into a specific flavor of nostalgia or The Flash specifically.

Anyway, full spoiler impressions below.

There's just too much shit in this movie. We spend the first bit sweating Barry's blood sugar, but that ends up not mattering. We spend a bunch of time with young Barry's roommates for comedic relief, but that ends up not mattering. We spend time learning that Barry tried to intervene when Zod invaded originally and could save one kid, but that ended up not mattering. I get that we needed to establish a Batman / Barry connection for the whole movie to work, but Justice League came out 6 years ago, Man of Steel came out a fucking decade ago at this point. There's SO MUCH TIME at the beginning establishing Barry's relationship with a Justice League that will no longer exist. 

And the cameos in this are... not good? I was joking earlier ITT when I said they were gonna digitally resurrect Christopher Reeve, I had no idea that would actually happen. Why do that for a deepfake to look on and... do nothing? A digital Nic Cage that looks bad? And they DID decide to bring someone in from the Arrowverse and it's... Teddy Sears??? Who wasn't even actually Jay Garrick / a Flash, but Zoom in disguise? Someone found Korean War era footage of George Reeves laying around and you can get fucking George Clooney, but nobody's got a spare reel of Grant Gustin? Wild shit. Why have all of them show up in the first place? So they can casually look through tears in the fabric of reality as the multiverse is about to end and... do nothing? Yes, this is a DC movie and they've got almost a century of history for these characters now, that's great. And I know this was supposed to come out earlier, but after something like No Way Home where the multiverse Spideys actually interacted, D-tier CGI Nic Cage looking soullessly into the void is just... pointless.

Anyway like I said, Miller and Keaton really carry this movie. In a flick where literally everything is nonsense (Barry puts a baby in a microwave 10 minutes into the thing) they play it with more sincerity and earnestness than the material deserves. You can feel Barry's growth throughout the movie, the conflict with younger Barry rarely feels forced, and the whole thing feels really believable. Keaton feels like he hasn't missed a beat which isn't surprising because he's great.

It's just such a bummer that so much of this movie working depends on calling back to shitty fucking movies like Man of Steel and Justice League. I know this should have come out a million years ago when those things seemed like they'd be more impactful and better received than they were, but... here we are, I guess. I wonder if there's a world where the Zod fight took place more in Metropolis but got edited after all the shit Man of Steel took for having Clark punch Zod through buildings.

Anyway, it got me to write more than I have for recent MCU stuff, so that's something. It's pretty fun most of the time, even though yes, it's too fucking long.

I love Keaton,  but these days I would be more excited to him reprising his role from Spotlight. :p

Can’t say I’ve ever had much interest in this movie. I’m not to the point where I’m going to swear off all superhero/comic book movies - Guardians 3 was really good and Spider-verse was incredible - but I’m well beyond the point where I see them all out of some misplaced obligation. 

Today's entry in the "you miss all the shots you don't take" chronicles... actually the effects are SUPPOSED to look bad.

7a13104f9b844e31bb8c5e2ed81c6997
WWW.YAHOO.COM

SPOILER ALERT: This story contains minor spoilers from “The Flash,” now playing in theaters nationwide. Reviews for Warner Bros.’ long-in-the-works “The Flash” movie have been largely favorable to mixed, but most critics agree the film is the latest comic book tentpole to suffer from unappealing visual effects. Leaked scenes on social media have also led to […]

In a recent interview with io9, “The Flash” director Andy Muschietti said he is well aware these divisive visual effects look weird to moviegoers. Why? Apparently that was exactly his intention.

“The idea, of course, is… we are in the perspective of The Flash,” Muschietti said. “Everything is distorted in terms of lights and textures. We enter this ‘waterworld’ which is basically being in Barry’s POV. It was part of the design, so if it looks a little weird to you that was intended.”

Yeah, sure. Okay. No spoilers, but it is NOT just weird Barry / speed force shit that looks bad. Sometimes the Barrys (barries?) talking to one another looks completely fine and good, other times we're in "we erased Henry Cavill's mustache... poorly" territory. But if the goal was to make the Barry / speed shit look "weird" then mission accomplished I guess, it often does indeed look "a little weird."

There are some shots that look so peculiar it’s hard to believe it wasn’t on purpose. One is actually in the trailers, this low shot looking up at Keaton in the bat suit that looks like they shot it with a wide angle lens REALLY close to his face. It’s all weirdly distorted.

But, yeah, the movie works for me mostly because Miller and Keaton are sooooooo great in the second half. 

Spoiler

And the inclusion of gigantic robot spiders with Nic Cage Superman is such a hilarious callback to some obscure movie nerd stuff was great. I didn’t need him to do literally anything, but I get why people who haven’t seen the Evening with Kevin Smith DVD would probably be lost

Looking at some of the Posttrak data…this flick is sausage fest in attendance. Some regions showing 85% male audiences 😂 Closer to male 75% in aggregate.

The ladies were not impressed with the trailers!

Looking at more stuff, it seems like that is a pretty common trend and quite a lot of the difference in BO results between similar slotted DC and MCU movies can be attributed to MCU drawing much closer parity between Male and Female viewership.

47 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Looking at some of the Posttrak data…this flick is sausage fest in attendance. Some regions showing 85% male audiences 😂 Closer to male 75% in aggregate.

Looking at more stuff, it seems like that is a pretty common trend and quite a lot of the difference in BO results between similar slotted DC and MCU movies can be attributed to MCU drawing much closer parity between Male and Female viewership.

A sausage fest? Not MY Flash.

kxn7yaq7k69y1prmjbcg.jpg

Hrm.

• Haha 2

Looking into the non-public Cinemascore data, not shocking to see the B aggregate grade is weighed down by teens/early 20s, and pushed up by the 30+ year olds who get the nostalgia tingle from a great Keaton Batman return.

19 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Today's entry in the "you miss all the shots you don't take" chronicles... actually the effects are SUPPOSED to look bad.

7a13104f9b844e31bb8c5e2ed81c6997
WWW.YAHOO.COM

SPOILER ALERT: This story contains minor spoilers from “The Flash,” now playing in theaters nationwide. Reviews for Warner Bros.’ long-in-the-works “The Flash” movie have been largely favorable to mixed, but most critics agree the film is the latest comic book tentpole to suffer from unappealing visual effects. Leaked scenes on social media have also led to […]

Yeah, sure. Okay. No spoilers, but it is NOT just weird Barry / speed force shit that looks bad. Sometimes the Barrys (barries?) talking to one another looks completely fine and good, other times we're in "we erased Henry Cavill's mustache... poorly" territory. But if the goal was to make the Barry / speed shit look "weird" then mission accomplished I guess, it often does indeed look "a little weird."

Yeah, I can buy that there were some choices made that look strange, but some of the effects are egregiously bad. If every bad effect in this film is truly a choice, then they chose poorly and did so repeatedly.

I have a hard time believing that it was a choice because, as others have noted, the effects are often quite good, and certainly not distracting. It really just seems like some sequences were finished and some were not, and it’ll take more than a few words from the director to convince me they were actually happy with the final product.

• True 1

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, I can buy that there were some choices made that look strange, but some of the effects are egregiously bad. If every bad effect in this film is truly a choice, then they chose poorly and did so repeatedly.

I have a hard time believing that it was a choice because, as others have noted, the effects are often quite good, and certainly not distracting. It really just seems like some sequences were finished and some were not, and it’ll take more than a few words from the director to convince me they were actually happy with the final product.

I appreciate that it's likely not even possible to make it look GOOD when The Flash puts a baby into a microwave, but the movie looks bad too often.

Also now that I've slept on it I've come to the conclusion that the ending is actually bad. :p

18 hours ago, sblfilms said:

That's because DC is for alt right incels now 

20 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

worse than Disney+ Marvel and Star Wars shows.

Whoa that bad? better than CW DC shows, right? I keep hearing how bad the VFX are which is surprising given how long this has been in the works and how much WB apparently has riding on it.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Looking into the non-public Cinemascore data, not shocking to see the B aggregate grade is weighed down by teens/early 20s, and pushed up by the 30+ year olds who get the nostalgia tingle from a great Keaton Batman return.

Yehah my nieces and nephews couldn't care less about this movie despite me telling them I heard it was good. They were all over Guardians and Spider-verse though. Once again we're in the never ending split between the old and the young when it comes to DC and Marvel. For better or worse, besides Batman, Marvel has always been percieved as being "cooler" tha DC. It was that way when I was a kid and seems to be continuing now. I'll see this at some point, definitely want to see it in the theater, but won't be mad if I don't.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Whoa that bad? better than CW DC shows, right? I keep hearing how bad the VFX are which is surprising given how long this has been in the works and how much WB apparently has riding on it.

Yes better than the CW shows. It's just wildly inconsistent in strange ways. Like when Ben Affleck's cape is flapping behind him on the Batcycle, it looks like Neo's trench coat from the burly brawl in Matrix Reloaded. Keaton's cape never looks that obviously fake. It's just weird.

• Shocked 1

The matinee numbers today are *brutal*, which is a good indication that families and teens aren’t showing up hardly at all for this flick. At our indoor, we had a 3pm showing with 6 tickets sold. Our last weekend of GOTG3, 5th weekend of release, never had a show with that few in it. 

Our TF7 show had more people.

Evening numbers are good, but man oh man, Warners has quite a task ahead of them recreating what DC Film means to audiences. People have developed certain expectations of DC and Marvel brands and it is clear they make choices to go or not based on those expectations.

MCDFLAS_WB005.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

There are a lot of lessons to be learned this weekend. But chief among them is what it’s like for a major motion picture studio to open a movie with largely a number of its cast, primarily it…

There are a lot of lessons to be learned this weekend. But chief among them is what it’s like for a major motion picture studio to open a movie with largely a number of its cast, primarily its main star, not available to do press.

That’s the big looming question which has been on everyone’s minds in the wake of Ezra Miller’s tabloid laden 2020-2022 in regards to Warner Bros. DC’s $200M The Flash, which isn’t looking good with a 3-day around $60M, off from the $70M-$75M the studio was expecting.

It is an interesting question, that unfortunately there is no way to be sure of. But it seems like losing Miller’s presence as a marketing piece made it difficult to move the fence sitters into attendees. You kinda need somebody to champion the idea of the film, the inclusion of Keaton, etc. to excite people who are open to going and not yet convinced.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is an interesting question, that unfortunately there is no way to be sure of. But it seems like losing Miller’s presence as a marketing piece made it difficult to move the fence sitters into attendees. You kinda need somebody to champion the idea of the film, the inclusion of Keaton, etc. to excite people who are open to going and not yet convinced.

Did they really do ANY press for this? Remember the late night shows aren't on right now because of the strike.