PC Community Thread

stepee

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Ok.  I hadn't seen a release date beyond 2H 2024 for Battlemage, you've got newer info than me.

It's reportedly (extremely) late Q1 or sometime in Q2 '24. I think the second half is supposed to be the "bigger" version of Battlemage, but I might be just thinking of Meteor/Arrow/Lunar Lake CPUs (one of those three) :p 

14900k: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-14900k/

14700k: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-14700k/

Very small performance increases in gaming (1-2%), only notable thing is a very impressive temperature reduction for the 14900k (ie: in gaming, the 14900k is running over 7% cooler at stock than the 13900k, and over 13% cooler when under full load in synthetics). Intel is keeping 1:1 pricing with the prior chips, so this is "fine" I guess.

Yeah that isn’t what I was expecting from the 14th gen, no wonder I didn’t even realize it had come out. I kinda just assumed they would continue the trend and take back the gaming crown and beat the 7800x3D but it looks like they didn’t do that even though it wouldn’t have required much of a jump.

If AMD has an actual improvement in store next year that would put them a decent bit up I’d imagine.

Looks like people are starting to figure out how to “force enable” DLSS3 frame generation on RTX 2000/3000 cards, and… it seems to not be smooth at all and kind of a mess. A theory is that, because of the lack of proper hardware for actual DLSS3, it winds up duplicating frames rather than generating frames, so it’s basically the same interpolation TVs use.

WWW.MICROCENTER.COM

Get it now! Whatever the setting, whatever the resolution, lead your team to victory with this incredible gaming processor. Plus, enjoy the benefits of next-gen AMD 3D V-Cache technology for low latency...

JFC $299 7800x3D

EDIT: and 13700k for $270

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

I feel like prices are in a pretty good place right now for computers if it wasn’t for the damn gpu hikes this gen. I really hope the 5000 is a more reasonable value proposition for people, or at least, the power is such that like a 5050 is a good gaming card.

From that link Spork posted, you can get basicialy the best gaming cpu for $300, or an intel one close for under $300. You can get 32gb ddr5 6000ghz ram for $100. You can get a 4tb for $200-$300 depending on the speed. Nothing is really that crazy at the moment except there is like no decent $400-$500 gpu that is decent enough to go with that system!

15 hours ago, stepee said:

I feel like prices are in a pretty good place right now for computers if it wasn’t for the damn gpu hikes this gen. I really hope the 5000 is a more reasonable value proposition for people, or at least, the power is such that like a 5050 is a good gaming card.

From that link Spork posted, you can get basicialy the best gaming cpu for $300, or an intel one close for under $300. You can get 32gb ddr5 6000ghz ram for $100. You can get a 4tb for $200-$300 depending on the speed. Nothing is really that crazy at the moment except there is like no decent $400-$500 gpu that is decent enough to go with that system!

Counter-point: motherboard prices are out of control, they’re even worse than GPU price bumps. A basic-bitch motherboard is still like $200+, and that used to be the mid-range price just a few years ago.
$450-600 used to be the “omg, lol, why?” stupidly over-speced top-end crazy-person “you definitely don’t need this” priced motherboards that would have like 4-6 full-speed PCIE 16x slots with individual lanes for each. Now, $400-550 is the mid/upper mid-range, and $1100-1600 is that “omg lol” range. 

I priced it out as I want to bite, but despite the crazy CPU deals, pricing on the motherboards that I’d want that hit all the features/ports/etc that I’d need (plus pricing in RAM since I’d need DDR5) would be $810 for a 13700k build (even going with a Z690 to get cheaper mobo) and $1000 for the 7800x3D build. If you’re building completely new, that’s not including a case, PSU, GPU, CPU cooling (that’s also gotten way out of control price-wise unless you’re doing mid-range air cooling), case fans, SSD(s), etc.

CPUs are definitely falling like rocks in prices, but JFC at some of the rest.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Counter-point: motherboard prices are out of control, they’re even worse than GPU price bumps. A basic-bitch motherboard is still like $200+, and that used to be the mid-range price just a few years ago.
$450-600 used to be the “omg, lol, why?” stupidly over-speced top-end crazy-person “you definitely don’t need this” priced motherboards that would have like 4-6 full-speed PCIE 16x slots with individual lanes for each. Now, $400-550 is the mid/upper mid-range, and $1100-1600 is that “omg lol” range. 

I priced it out as I want to bite, but despite the crazy CPU prices, pricing on the motherboards that I’d want that hit all the features/ports/etc that I’d need (plus pricing in RAM since I’d need DDR5) would be $810 for a 13700k build (even going with a Z690 to get cheaper mobo) and $1000 for the 7800x3D build. If you’re building completely new, that’s not including a case, PSU, GPU, CPU cooling (that’s also gotten way out of control price-wise unless you’re doing mid-range air cooling), case fans, SSD(s), etc.

oh yeah I forgot about motherboards :P

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I priced it out as I want to bite, but despite the crazy CPU prices, pricing on the motherboards that I’d want that hit all the features/ports/etc that I’d need (plus pricing in RAM since I’d need DDR5) would be $810 for a 13700k build (even going with a Z690 to get cheaper mobo) and $1000 for the 7800x3D build. If you’re building completely new, that’s not including a case, PSU, GPU, CPU cooling (that’s also gotten way out of control price-wise unless you’re doing mid-range air cooling), case fans, SSD(s), etc.

Makes you long for the day when GPUs get so big everything plugs into them and motherboards are no longer needed :p