Happy holidays, and a life update for anyone interested

Fizzzzle

I think it was around this time last year that I said I was dropping everything and moving to New Orleans. Well, I did. I got rid of almost everything I own and moved.

What I don't know that I've shared completely is that I'm not in New Orleans anymore. New Orleans is... a great place to visit, let's leave it at that. Living there kind of sucked, at least for me.

However, in July I got a job opportunity in Alaska doing some seasonal work at a resort, so I abandoned my job at a gay night club in New Orleans and packed it up again. It really isn't a big deal when everything you own can fit into 2 bags. So I did that for a few months, made a decent chunk of cash, then I went back to Portland for about a month, where I stayed with my dad. Then I went to San Jose, intending for that to just be a vacation for a few days, but ended up doing work for this event space and stayed for a while. Then I had another job opportunity open up back home, so I did that, managing catering events. I found a place to live that's month to month, so I can leave again whenever I want.

A couple weeks ago I fell off a ladder while hanging up Christmas lights and fucked my knee up, but thankfully no lasting damage was done.

Now, going into 2023, I have no idea what I want to do, but suddenly it feels like anything is possible. I'm not tied to anything. I barely own anything. All it would take is to find a decent paying job that I could do remotely and suddenly the whole world feels like my oyster (I don't understand that saying).

So, yeah... That's where my life is at. I have no idea what I'm going to do next, and over the last couple years I've experienced everything from being broke and homeless to not being broke and still kind of like 2 steps away from being homeless, but I wouldn't have it any other way. There's something freeing about being one text away from going to work in fucking like South Carolina or wherever. If I can lock down a long term remote job that isn't just temporary, I think I'll go back to Thailand for a while. I miss it there.

I don't know whether 2023 will be fruitful, but not knowing is half the fun at this point.

Also fuck @Biggie for whatever he's about to say in response.

• Like 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

Before my first child was born, I lived very similarly to you sir! I miss the flowing life. I miss having the ability to carry all my worldly possessions in a rucksack. That said, its probably just nostalgia that makes me think I'd still be a good fit for my former life. My current life is about plans, and back-up plans, so my spontaneous spirit has likely withered on the vine over the last 20 years. Much as I love my children, I look forward to the post child raising period of my life. My wife is of the same mindset so things could get interesting in another 8 years. 

• Halal 1

36 minutes ago, Dodger said:

If nothing else you are traveling, seeing new places and getting new experiences so that must be nice on some level. I barely go anywhere.  Shit I havent left my house since Friday. 

This made me laugh. I travel an hour a day to work everyday so technically I visit two cities a day. Other than that, I'm a complete hermit and don't go anywhere....ever. I have 0 experience with traveling.