EVGA terminates relationship with NVIDIA, ceases all video card manufacturing on grounds of disrespectful treatment, among other things

Brian

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

You can buy an MSI or Gigabyte card and have confidence in it, they just don't have as good warranty/lotalty programs as EVGA historicaly. 

That sounds right but damnit yeah I was an elite member or whatever to make buying the new cards in queue easier and was planning on that for 4000 :/

Interested to see later exactly how bad they must have been treated because that seems like a crazy amount of money to leave on the table especially right before 4000 launch.

Or maybe something else is going on.

• Halal 1

Some more info:

• CEO: "Done with all video cards as long as I am CEO."
  • The Founder's Editions of the cards are cheaper than EVGA's cards, and EVGA can't price match due to legal agreements with Nvidia.
  • "EVGA are loosing hundreds of dollars per card" for 3080+ cards. Nvidia know about this, won't negotiate.
  • They currently have 280 people. They have said they will not be laying people off, but acknowledge people will leave over this.
  • The power supply profit margin is 300% more than graphics cards, despite being just 20% of their revenue.
  • What about Vince - Vince has his own plan.
  • EVGA's complaints about Nvidia are about lack of communication.
  • EVGA has no debts, and owns its buildings. Not in bad shape - there is liquidity.
  • EVGA's CEO does not want to sell or retire. He doesn't trust the investors that are willing to invest.
  • Sounds like he'd let the company die than have its reputation ruined. He does however want to spend more time with family.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Looking at that profit margin on PSUs vs GPUs, I actually think that they could very well be just fine.

I just mean for a GPU vendor with as good customer support as them. PSU’s don’t really excite me even if they offer great ones :P

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

Who is the next best now?

I believe ASUS was the only other 3rd party manufacturer besides EVGA that used quality capacitors for the initial 30xx card releases and completely avoided those initial issues. That’s who I’ll likely be buying from unless Corsair starts making GPUs.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I believe ASUS was the only other 3rd party manufacturer besides EVGA that used quality capacitors for the initial 30xx card releases and completely avoided those initial issues. That’s who I’ll likely be buying from unless Corsair starts making GPUs.

Good point!

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, they had those too!

zVncf5y626geo2ooFmbD7i-1200-80.png
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Capacitors seem to be a contributing factor to recent reports of crashes

Oh, weird, I remember them being listed as having the better capacitors that didn’t have the issues with power distribution for clock speeds

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, weird, I remember them being listed as having the better capacitors that didn’t have the issues with power distribution for clock speeds

Yeah, at first it looked like EVGA was the only AIB that wasn't having issues, but eventaully everyone started having a fun time with the 3xxx. I only remember this because EVGA is usually on point with their card designs. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, they had those too!

zVncf5y626geo2ooFmbD7i-1200-80.png
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Capacitors seem to be a contributing factor to recent reports of crashes

Wait, did you read the article? 
38-EB6-F22-2282-44-CD-AA2-C-99-E55-BD020

Only review boards had the issue, no customer shipments had POSCAP, only MLCC. Evga was confirming that POSCAPs were P.O.S.-caps there I think.

Maybe non FTW3 didn’t have MLCC, though?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Wait, did you read the article? 
38-EB6-F22-2282-44-CD-AA2-C-99-E55-BD020

Only review boards had the issue, no customer shipments had POSCAP, only MLCC. Evga was confirming that POSCAPs were P.O.S.-caps there I think

Well now I don't know! :lol: I just remember articles from the time saying they had defective boards. and the Reddit cowd melting down about it! 

29 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

In what world do you intentionally lose 80% of your revenue, not have plans to expand into any other market, and expect to not have any layoffs or anything?

It just doesn't seem realistic.

Makes me think the GPU market is really poor now with the crypto crash and they're trying to generate demand for their inventory while they can.