I have two bad shoulders that have gotten worse over the years and started PT last week

and yesterday the therapist did some stretching on me and I legit got teary eyed it hurt so bad.

I am certain I’ll need surgery on one, but the ortho wants to try the PT stuff first. I have noticed the other one which has never really hurt, but fairly suddenly I had limited range of motion with, has already begun loosening up.

The bad one that hurts? It hurts even more now 😂 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

*grabs you by the shoulders and shakes them roughly*

ahhh i’m just fuckinnnnn with ya budddy

*slaps your ass*

I assume you’ve had to do a fair bit of PT. How has that been for your?

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I assume you’ve had to do a fair bit of PT. How has that been for your?

It definitely helped me get on my feet, literally. I think the most important thing isn’t the actual time you spend with them them, it’s making sure you take down the lessons for your home exercises (or in my case they provided a webpage with the plan and videos of the exercises) and make sure that you actually do and maintain those. I’m not sure if yours is different in that for mine it was about gradually building strength and motion back so sticking to routine was the most valuable.

36 minutes ago, unogueen said:

decades upon decades of knee shaking, backbreacking labour work and I still don't need a therapist or massage like my coholts who sit on their ass all day. woo

I do backbreaking labor all the time and one of my shoulders is completely fucked. I tore a rotator cuff like 10 years ago and couldn't afford surgery. It gets reinjured all the time. By this point, there's probably so much scar tissue that I'm not sure surgery would even do much.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

I do backbreaking labor all the time and one of my shoulders is completely fucked. I tore a rotator cuff like 10 years ago and couldn't afford surgery. It gets reinjured all the time. By this point, there's probably so much scar tissue that I'm not sure surgery would even do much.

I do a ton of work up on scaffolds and boom lifts overhead. I’m pretty sure that is what caused my initial range of motion issues with the first shoulder. The second one I have a bone spur in a spot that causes some shooting pains and even dead arm on rare occasions, which caused me to do less with it and just froze up everything involved in moving my arms overhead.

1 hour ago, unogueen said:

If you're working till your body breaks, quit that shit. Take some time off with that sweet welfare money and rev up for the next session.

You know what tore my shoulder? I was sweeping a carpeted floor. It's like, you know how you never throw your back out while doing something actually strenuous? You throw your back out when you're taking the trash out. It was like that. I was just sweeping a floor and got this sharp pain in my right shoulder that lasted for like a week.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

You know what tore my shoulder? I was sweeping a carpeted floor. It's like, you know how you never throw your back out while doing something actually strenuous? You throw your back out when you're taking the trash out. It was like that. I was just sweeping a floor and got this sharp pain in my right shoulder that lasted for like a week.

work on your flexibility.while young dudes my age were hitting the gym, i did martial arts, dance and yoga and feels much better than just bulking up. just the increased range in motion is a huge bonus.

• True 1

I'm a PT. The fact that your ortho wanted you to try this first is a sign he / she is an ethical doc to start with. Be wary of any surgeon who jumps straight to surgery (with some exceptions of course). 

Without knowing specifics of your shoulders, I would just say this: People look at surgery as a fix, and it's not. I have treated hundreds of shoulders, and many people feel just as bad or worse a few years after surgery. Depending on the issue, long term benefits of surgery vs conservative treatment are essentially a wash. If you eventually find out you have a not full-thickness rotator cuff tear, I would recommend against surgical repair. 

Arthroscopic surgeries are less invasive and the recovery is easier, I'm always more willing to entertain those as an option. 

But treat surgery like a big deal, weigh your options, examine your quality of life and what you actually want to be able to do. Do not think of surgery as a fix. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished my first month and am seeing and feeling good results. The PT took a bunch of measurements and found around a 10 degree improvement in my problem areas. She also added in some new exercises today which hurt so much it made me a little nauseous. Ugh.

I've noticed I'm having more pain, but I actually think it is due to pushing myself a little more now that I've seen some range of motion improvements. Just as an example, I can now throw a baseball, so I've been playing catch with my kids. It does hurt, but I previously couldn't even do a throwing motion at all.

On 10/7/2022 at 4:29 PM, sblfilms said:

I just finished my first month and am seeing and feeling good results. The PT took a bunch of measurements and found around a 10 degree improvement in my problem areas. She also added in some new exercises today which hurt so much it made me a little nauseous. Ugh.

I've noticed I'm having more pain, but I actually think it is due to pushing myself a little more now that I've seen some range of motion improvements. Just as an example, I can now throw a baseball, so I've been playing catch with my kids. It does hurt, but I previously couldn't even do a throwing motion at all.

That's really good to hear!  A measurable improvement even if it feels small is great news.  I'm finding out injuries can take a long time to get better.  I did something to my knee a few months ago and it's been a ridiculous battle to get it back to normal.  I was babying it too much which eventually made my other knee hurt.  Then I just stopped doing strenuous walking/running activities because I didn't want to aggravate my knee. That was the worst thing I could have done. Everyday my legs suddenly felt like an old person.  I was walking down steps feeling uneasy and achey.

A few weeks ago I started walking this big outdoor  track while my daughter is at cheer practice at her school. Basically had to relearn how to run again.  Felt so weird and unsteady.  It's only been 3 weeks and I can feel my knees getting so much better. Almost ran a full lap this evening, and walked 5 other laps.  I can do a staircase and not even think about it now.  Baby steps is all you can ask for.  I'm finding out as I get older the human body can be really weird and painful.  Never had issues like this before.

• Halal 1