Suikoden I & II HD Remaster Coming TBD for Old Consoles and PC

Keyser_Soze

58 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

You used to be able to get them through the PS3 store. I think Sony closed that down, though.

I didn't do anything digital on PS3. I didn't really buy into the digital scene until MS committed to BC with the XBO. Most of my digital 360 purchases were after the fact, and since Sony never made that commitment...

That said, I'm 99 percent sure I have... unofficial... versions of all three (four?) of the Suikodens. But I would totally buy the HD remaster for the right price.

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think it's just because V was better than IV, which was true to me. 

Unpopular opinion: I think Tierkreis is better than both of them, even though it's not a traditional Suikoden game. 

I think 4 is better than most people think, 5 is worse than most people think, and Tierkreis is just one that nobody played because it was on the DS and doesn't take place in the same world, but it's better than both of them.

None of them touch the first 3, though. Those games were awesome. The music, especially. The scores of Suikoden 1-3 are honestly some of the best in any video game I've ever heard, and totally unique.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Unpopular opinion: I think Tierkreis is better than both of them, even though it's not a traditional Suikoden game. 

I think 4 is better than most people think, 5 is worse than most people think, and Tierkreis is just one that nobody played because it was on the DS and doesn't take place in the same world, but it's better than both of them.

None of them touch the first 3, though. Those games were awesome. The music, especially. The scores of Suikoden 1-3 are honestly some of the best in any video game I've ever heard, and totally unique.

I thought people liked Tierkreis? Checking Metacritic now, yeah, it's Suikoden IV and Suikoden Tactics people didn't like. Looks like people like Suikoden V and Suikoden Tierkreis. Looks like a decent drop off in scores from Suikoden V/Suikoden Tierkreis to Suikoden Tactics/Suikoden IV. 

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I thought people liked Tierkreis? Checking Metacritic now, yeah, it's Suikoden IV and Suikoden Tactics people didn't like. Looks like people like Suikoden V and Suikoden Tierkreis. Looks like a decent drop off in scores from Suikoden V/Suikoden Tierkreis to Suikoden Tactics/Suikoden IV. 

I think the people who played Tierkreis liked it, it was just that it seemed like no one played it. I remember it felt like they barely hyped up the game at all, then they just quietly dropped it (in the west, at least), and then were like "well I guess Suikoden isn't really popular, we won't do Suikoden games anymore." Like... unless you were a hardcore JRPG enthusiast at the time, you wouldn't have known it existed. But hey, Konami is gonna Konami.

Tactics is the only one I haven't played. I heard it's pretty bad. I have a hard time with even universally acclaimed tactics RPGs, so I didn't even want to try it. Have you played it?

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think the people who played Tierkreis liked it, it was just that it seemed like no one played it. I remember it felt like they barely hyped up the game at all, then they just quietly dropped it (in the west, at least), and then were like "well I guess Suikoden isn't really popular, we won't do Suikoden games anymore." Like... unless you were a hardcore JRPG enthusiast at the time, you wouldn't have known it existed. But hey, Konami is gonna Konami.

Tactics is the only one I haven't played. I heard it's pretty bad. I have a hard time with even universally acclaimed tactics RPGs, so I didn't even want to try it. Have you played it?

I think you're right - not a lot of people played Tierkreis. It's a spin-off of a now niche JRPG series, even then, Suikoden was niche enough in the West that even Suikoden fans weren't all playing Tierkreis unfortunately. Plus a handheld Suikoden spin-off game to boot. I mean, only 59 user ratings on Metacritic ain't a lot, but a 7.7 is very respectable. As for Tactics, I haven't played it myself, but reading reviews at the time it sounded not good. It came out in 2005, I can't imagine it plays well at all today except maybe emulated. But it's reviewed a decent bit better than Suikoden IV, so if you liked that it may be worth giving it a whirl. :p It is a canonical Suikoden game. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The first 3 Suikoden games are all fucking great. The rest of them are kind of hit or miss. I'm one of the few who doesn't really like Suikoden V. They're all worth playing, though.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think it's just because V was better than IV, which was true to me. 

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The best games in the series IMO are 1,  2, 5 and Tierkreis. I didn’t really like 3 or 4. I know that 3 received a mixed reception when it came out, and that 4 is disliked by most fans including myself. I didn’t realize that 5 was held in high regard, I remember a lot of people complaining about its slow start when it came out. But that was actually something that I liked about it, because I like RPGs to take their time establishing their stories and characters in the beginning. 5 actually might be my favorite, I really liked its story and characters. I can’t remember the first two games too well because it’s been so long since I played them, but I do remember really liking them back in the day. I remember really liking Tierkreis too, but I still like 1, 2 and 5 more.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

The best games in the series IMO are 1,  2, 5 and Tierkreis. I didn’t really like 3 or 4. I know that 3 received a mixed reception when it came out, and that 4 is disliked by most fans including myself. I didn’t realize that 5 was held in high regard, I remember a lot of people complaining about its slow start when it came out. But that was actually something that I liked about it, because I like RPGs to take their time establishing their stories and characters in the beginning. 5 actually might be my favorite, I really liked its story and characters. I can’t remember the first two games too well because it’s been so long since I played them, but I do remember really liking them back in the day. I remember really liking Tierkreis too, but I still like 1, 2 and 5 more.

The third is considered the second best after 2. I loved 3. Did it really received a mixed reception upon release? That's not what I remember, it's the highest rated one on Metacritic too out of all of them. 

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The first 3 Suikoden games are all fucking great. The rest of them are kind of hit or miss. I'm one of the few who doesn't really like Suikoden V. They're all worth playing, though.

enjoyed V quite a bit. IV was a solid game but suffered from too frequent random battles, seriously every 3-4 steps you ran into one. 

Tbh my favorite memory of IV is sailing around and taking advantage of the market system. V tried to make the system deeper by making you able to flood markets, which was great, but there were like two characters you could only recruit my manipulating prices a certain way and you don't find out if you did it right until they join you or not.

that rubbed me the wrong way.

11 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Tbh my favorite memory of IV is sailing around and taking advantage of the market system. V tried to make the system deeper by making you able to flood markets, which was great, but there were like two characters you could only recruit my manipulating prices a certain way and you don't find out if you did it right until they join you or not.

that rubbed me the wrong way.

Not sure that's any more annoying than some of the missable recruits in Suikoden 2 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Tactics is the only one I've played and it's ok. It's certainly not bad.

I just have a problem with every battle in a game taking like 20 minutes. The only tactics rpgs I've finished are like... Valkyria Chronicles? And I feel like that barely counts. I never even finished Jeanne d'Arc. 

I guess I did finish Devil Survivor, so there's that

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The third is considered the second best after 2. I loved 3. Did it really received a mixed reception upon release? That's not what I remember, it's the highest rated one on Metacritic too out of all of them. 

I can’t remember the reception that it received from critics back when it released, but I remember on the IGN PS2 board at that time it received a mixed reception from gamers. This discussion that we’re having about the Suikoden games now reminds me of those times, and I believe that most of us were there back then. We’ve known each other a long time, and it’s admittedly kind of cool that we’re still discussing games all these years later.

• True 1

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Look at that - no cartoony smoothing like in Tactics Ogre Reborn, another game that's meant to be a remaster bordering on a remake. More in line with HD-2D remakes like Live A Live and the upcoming Dragon Quest III (aka Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy style). That is how a remaster should look (that it might be such a departure that it seems more like a remake, and some may just want a remastered versions of the originals).

• True 1

• 11 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Suikoden I & II HD Remaster Coming TBD for Old Consoles and PC