Pikmin 4 (July 21, 2023) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 11:42 AM, stepee said:

May 12th, 2023

Not announced, but I’m running with it.

Don't think your dream will come true. :p

EDIT: But seriously, Pikmin 4 looks really fucking good. I'm glad they changed the viewpoint from isometric, to more 3rd-person. Plus the new gameplay options, and friends to make along the way. I'm excited.

• 3 months later...
  • Brian changed the title to Pikmin 4 - July 21, 2023 - Rise to the Occasion Trailer
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Brian changed the title to Pikmin 4 - July 21, 2023 - Overview Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Pikmin 4 (July 21, 2023) - "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer

I really liked the first game but never even bothered with 2 or 3. How were they? I just... never had any interest. I felt like the first did everything I wanted it to. I keep wanting to be interested in the new titles, but just never am.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I really liked the first game but never even bothered with 2 or 3. How were they? I just... never had any interest. I felt like the first did everything I wanted it to. I keep wanting to be interested in the new titles, but just never am.

Pikmin ain’t easy but it’s necessary. 

cosmo kramer pimp GIF

• True 1

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The first game is the one that feels the most time constricted, with you having a limited number of days to finish it.  So some still prefer it in a Majora's Mask kind of way.  It's feels very prototype compared to the next entries regardless, although the last area has some decent puzzles.

The second game does the rogue-like thing in caves you enter in each world, only they did it before it was cool and hip.  Also time stops underground, so you get a bit of a breather.  There's some very memorable stuff in those caves in spite of them relying on some degree of random generation.  Plus it has the best bosses in the series IMO.

Pikmin 3 has the most interesting Pikmin types, and some cool bosses as well.  In each game they give you one more control group than the previous game.  In 2 that worked out well.  But I found the 3 groups in Pikmin 3 to be a bit too much to juggle, especially by the end of the game, where the bosses really push the issue.

Pikmin 2 > Pikmin 3 > Pikmin 1

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The first game is the one that feels the most time constricted, with you having a limited number of days to finish it.  So some still prefer it in a Majora's Mask kind of way.  It's feels very prototype compared to the next entries regardless, although the last area has some decent puzzles.

The second game does the rogue-like thing in caves you can enter in each world, only they did it before it was cool and hip.  Also time stops underground, so you get a bit o bit a breather.  There's some very memorable stuff in those caves in spite of them relying on some degree of random generation.  Plus it has the best bosses in the series IMO.

Pikmin 3 has the most interesting Pikmin types, and some cool bosses as well.  In each game they give you one more control groups than the previous game.  In 2 that worked out well.  But I found the 3 groups in Pikmin 3 to be a bit too much to juggle, especially by the end of the game, where the bosses really push the issue.

Pikmin 2 > Pikmin 3 > Pikmin 1

Interesting, maybe it's time to give Pikmin 2 a go! Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Interesting, maybe it's time to give Pikmin 2 a go! Thanks!

I'm sure it's a bit dated feeling now.  But that's the one that really makes you value each Pikmin life.

If you play it, let us know when you reach that enemy ... you'll know.

• 2 weeks later...
VUWcHfcq.jpg
OPENCRITIC.COM

Pikmin 4 is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 33 critics, with an overall average score of 87. It's ranked in the top 2% of games and recommended by 100% of critics.

Another solid entry.  This year keeps on giving.

Game Information

Game Title: Pikmin 4

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Jul 21, 2023)

Developer: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 88 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

Daily Mirror - Scott McCrae - 5 / 5

Most of all Pikmin 4 is just an exceptionally polished game that’s the pinnacle of the series to date and you can feel the love and attention poured into every inch of it. Pikmin 4 is the most ambitious Pikmin entry to date, and truly feels like an endeavour worthy of the 10-year wait.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 5 / 5

Its urge for exploration is everywhere and really helps to distinguish this away from other Switch titles. While at the same time the cuteness of the characters feels very Nintendo. A top effort.

Eurogamer - Tom Phillips - 5 / 5

The Pikmin series blossoms anew, in a bouquet of fresh gameplay and the best of its roots.

Eurogamer.pt - Vítor Alexandre - Portuguese - 5 / 5

The pace of the game is high and steady in challenges, with few dead moments, no intrusive or drying dialogue. It is a direct and intense game in the missions, able to remember the catadupa of events and challenges of a Mario Galaxy, for example. And at the same time it is delightful in art, in a very planetary sphere and at the same time human and realistic, and also possessing an appreciable physics, although here and there with some frame rate breaks, which fortunately little or nothing affect the gameplay. There is almost a commotion when we leave behind these creatures, so essential in the multiple rescue missions, but it is possible to return to the PNF-404, with the salvation Otchin, for another dandori missions, in which organization and efficiency are essential for success. It's nice when a game exudes a message as well.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 10 / 10

Pikmin 4 is a stunning, cozy game, and quality of life features like the addition of Oatchi help relieve any sources of stress.

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 96 / 100

Pikmin 4 is the next step for the series. Taking de classic formula, the game elevates it in so many ways. One of the best games of the year and a must have to every Switch owner.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 9.5 / 10

As I was playing through Pikmin 4 and things really started to click, I thought to myself (with a smile on my face) – “I just want to play this forever.” It’s a strategically satisfying game if you want it to be, and it’s a chill rainy-day adventure if you’re going for that vibe.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 9.5 / 10

Pikmin 4 is the culmination of all that's come before it, modernised in a truly magical way. There is so much to do, it's hard to think anyone wouldn't find fun here.

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 9.1 / 10

Pikmin 4 keeps the solid gameplay foundations of previous games, but adds a number of (small) innovations to the formula that make the game even more fun and fulfilling. A strategic management title suitable for all ages, from those who like to take things lightly purely for fun to those who prefer to go deep and challenge themselves by completing missions as efficiently as possible.

Game Informer - Kyle Hilliard - 9 / 10

Pikmin may never rise to the top of the Nintendo heap, and it’s probably unfair to expect it ever could, but the latest Pikmin is the best effort yet.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4 is THE game of the summer, that's for sure. It's fresh, affordable, cute like anything and quickly addictive.

GamesRadar+ - Sam Loveridge - 4.5 / 5

Pikmin 4 isn't just another Pikmin game. Nintendo has taken the formula and twisted it by adding new challenges, ways to play, and a whole new character. It's cute and packs a great RTS punch despite multiple ways to make it more approachable overall.

Geeks & Com - Anthony Gravel - French - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4 offers plenty of new great gameplay elements to make it an excellent follow-up to the previous entries. With the addition of the Dandori modes and your loyal dog Otchin, the series has never put forth so many strategic elements. It’s a real delight.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4 may start out slow but it slowly blossoms into a wonderful game which is leaps and bounds above the previous entries. There’s just pure joy to experience here and I hope people finally take the series seriously because this game is superb.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 90 / 100

Although the first Pikmin seem too harsh in its gameplay, this experience is much more pleasant without "insulting" our gaming capacity. In addition, it is much more beautiful and enormously varied. It has it all, explorers.

IGN - Jada Griffin - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4 adds variety to the series' traditional gameplay by offering options other than the grab-and-throw formula of the past, and brings an extra helping of top-tier levels after the credits roll.

IGN Italy - Francesco Destri - Italian - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4, despite some minor flaws, is the classic video game experience that you would never want to stop playing and remains in many ways the best episode in the series.

IGN Spain - David Oña - Spanish - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4 is a sequel lives up to the saga, an expansion that naturally integrates a greater amount of content, presenting new mechanics that, through Ochín, enable the creation of new challenges. A must have for the fan of the saga, and a great sequel which is perfectly capable of attracting new looks.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10

Yes, the co-op is disappointing, and the campaign's not gonna be challenging enough for some diehard fans, but overall Nintendo has nailed it here, serving up a magical Pikmin adventure that we reckon could see the series finally getting all of the attention it fully deserves.

PCMag - Jordan Minor - 4.5 / 5

Nintendo's Pikmin 4 beautifully builds upon the franchise's quirky strategy formula to deliver new mechanics and dense locales that make you feel even more like an interplanetary explorer.

SECTOR.sk - Michal Korec - Slovak - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4 goes full steam ahead with an array of exciting new features. Unexpectedly good ones include delving into underground levels, embarking on Night Time Expeditions, riding on the back of Oatchi, and discovering new Pikmin units. This refreshing experience makes it easy to forget its 20-year-old roots, as it feels entirely new once again.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4 is simply the biggest, most ambitious and good-looking title of the franchise yet: it offers the well known and loved gameplay of the series with a lot of twists and surprises, and at least three times the content squeezed in Pikmin 3. Definitely a must play for Switch owners.

Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 9 / 10

Just when you think you’ve done everything, Pikmin 4 is waiting to hand over another fun task for you to spend the next few hours enjoying, on the universe’s most crashed-on planet.

TrustedReviews - Gemma Ryles - 4.5 / 5

Pikmin 4 is a wonderfully weird combination of adorable graphics, a simple story and an unconsciously creepy undertone. It reinforces its predecessor’s strength by including more Pikmin variations, smoother graphics and Night Expeditions, which pose a much bigger challenge than fans may be used to.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 9 / 10

Pikmin 4 adds or reintroduces a lot to the series’ formula, including caves, nighttime missions, and an adorable doggy sidekick, to the point the game starts to feel a bit busy and unfocused. Fortunately, like a well-managed Pikmin squad, the game comes together in charming, effective fashion by the end. While the franchise may have bloomed slightly brighter in the past, Pikmin 4 will still provide a bountiful harvest of fun for longtime fans.

We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 4.5 / 5

Pikmin 4 is a tour de force, carefully balancing the franchise's tried-and-true freeform structure with new mechanics and systems that don't force players into one specific playstyle. Our one big gripe? For some reason, you can't pet the dog.

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 9 / 10

Just when you think Nintendo has drained the well of creativity, it once more releases a sequel that refines an already quality experience to another level. Pikmin remains one of its best franchises that deserves more time in the spotlight, and Pikmin 4 is no exception.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 89%

Not only by abolishing the most frustrating function, Pikmin 4 becomes easier than its predecessor. But that is just one negligible part of the truth. The other is that Pikmin 4 delivers the best, biggest and most complex overworld levels including a diverse set of underworld dungeons with very special challenges. Beside all the other minor and major improvements, Rescue Pup Oatchi dye alone is a huge enrichment by itself. The game also does a great job concerning all the things that made Pikmin such a beloved series with its clever, often puzzle-like strategy gameplay or its sweet and just wonderful presentation. For series' lovers and fans of the genre, Pikmin 4 is a need-to play.

CGMagazine - Steven Green - 8.5 / 10

Pikmin 4 brilliantly shows how to take the same set of mechanics and throw them into a new mode or challenge in order to keep things fresh, even if it can come off as repetitive at times.

COGconnected - James Paley - 85 / 100

Pikmin 4 is more about the core gameplay loop than anything else. Slowly exploring every part of this game, gathering your tiny army, and looting every piece of possible treasure is its own reward. Whether you’re a newcomer or a series veteran, Pikmin 4 will be an excellent adventure.

Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 8.5 / 10

Pikmin 4 refreshes the series with well-thought-out additions that will attract a new large group of players.

LevelUp - Pedro Pérez Cesari - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Pikmin 4 captures the essence of the franchise, even if it doesn't redefine the gaming landscape. While it doesn't revolutionize gaming, it delivers the familiar real-time strategic gameplay and introduces interesting changes. The open philosophy in level design and beautiful atmosphere will immerse players in a miniature world. Though it may be too easy and lacks an intriguing story, Pikmin 4 is a solid addition to the series.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8.5 / 10

Pikmin 4 brings together engaging cave exploration and a charming world to explore to offer up the most complete Pikmin experience so far. While the multiplayer offerings feel like a step back from Pikmin 3 and the game is too easy to begin with, Pikmin 4 more than makes up for these shortcomings with its adorable canine companion, vast sandboxes and gripping strategic combat.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.5 / 10

I had an excellent time with Pikmin 4 and I'm sure you will, too. It's not only a culmination of nearly everything in the series so far, it also introduces plenty of welcome new features that'll make you happy to be reacquainted with your Pikmin chums yet again.

GamePro - Dennis Michel - German - 83 / 100

Pikmin 4, along with great innovations, is the perfect game for in between, which only leaves co-op fans a little distressed.

ComicBook.com - Logan Moore - 4 / 5

Pikmin 4 is largely a strong step forward for Nintendo and is a game that both longtime fans of the series and newcomers should find a lot of enjoyment with. Even though some new aspects that Nintendo opted to include in Pikmin 4 got stale quickly, the basic gameplay loop remains quite satisfying and features far more than ever before for you to sink your teeth into.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5

Though faithful fans might be put off by a more laid-back sequel that’s over-eager to hold players’ hands, Pikmin 4 is a purposeful reconstruction of Nintendo’s most niche series. A stressful comedy of errors becomes a digestible puzzle-strategy hybrid that gives players valuable organization strategies that are just as useful in real life as they are on their Nintendo Switch adventure.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4 / 5

The finest execution of the Pikmin philosophy to date. With any luck, Nintendo will see this as an opportunity for a dedicated spinoff, and continue to build on the excellent foundations it has established here.

Entertainment Geekly - 4 / 5

Pikmin 4 emerges as a vibrant evolution of a beloved franchise. While it might not be perfect, its array of innovations, accessibility, improved gameplay, and delightful narrative make it a journey worth embarking upon. Its horticultural world has grown into a formidable forest in the gaming landscape, proving that this franchise is no mere garden variety.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 4 / 5

Pikmin 4 exhibits the most demanding and multifaceted use of the series mechanics yet, with several situations and game modes that push your ability to strategically think and plan ahead under pressure. Pikmin 4 deftly accomplishes several things: staying true to the challenge and identity of the Pikmin series while expanding its ideas, making its concepts and obstacles more approachable, and simply being a beautiful and charming realisation of the Pikmin world.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 8 / 10

Nintendo successfully reinvents Pikmin as a Stardew Valley style cosy game, that's both much bigger and more approachable than ever before.

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 8 / 10

In Pikmin 4, wee astronauts continue to explore Earth with adorable little flower followers-and adds competitive Dandori matches. Read on.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 8 / 10

There's a pleasing mixture of the familiar and the new within Pikmin 4. The fresh camera view and tweaks to the gameplay make it feel more accessible, but for returning players, the focus on the Dandori ethos of planning, efficiency and adaptability provides new arenas to test your skills. Oh, and Oatchi's a real cutie too.

VG247 - Alex Donaldson - 4 / 5

That mood is one that brings together both established and new ideas to create a Pikmin that is, I think, absolutely the most well-rounded title in the series. It takes a series that for its second and third entries I appreciated but didn’t love - and brings back that adoration. It’s a revitalizing sequel - though also exactly the sort of entry that’ll be difficult to follow.

VGC - Andy Robinson - 4 / 5

Pikmin 4 is a smart and content-packed refinement of one of Nintendo’s most underrated series, but long-time fans may be put off by how long its generous campaign takes to get going.

Checkpoint Gaming - Elliot Attard - 7.5 / 10

A curious world of delightful wonder, Pikmin will never fail to be a series that invites warmth and joy with its vibrant world and colourful companions. New gameplay ideas are plentiful with Pikmin 4, many of which work towards expanding the game in interesting new directions. Not every new mechanic lands as elegantly as others, with Night Expeditions and co-op mode being two notable disappointments. Though overall, Pikmin 4 still finds a way to bring about that same glee that has lasted within this series since its inception.

GameSpot - Steve Watts - 7 / 10

Pikmin 4 is a pleasant, relaxing game that serves as a nice entry point for newcomers, with occasionally odd high-pressure segments.

TheGamer - Jade King - 3.5 / 5

Pikmin 4 isn’t quite the best game in the series, but it’s certainly the most confident. With this new entry, Nintendo has decided to wipe away much of the past tedium in favour of ensuring moment-to-moment gameplay is more enjoyable than ever. But eradicating its past frustrations also removes much of the challenge and depth from the game’s battles and puzzles. Commanding its multicoloured armies and pilfering this planet of its treasures while gathering a motley crew of comrades kept me enraptured for hours, just don’t come into this expecting the harsh journey back home to be little more than a leisurely stroll.

Ars Technica - Kyle Orland - Unscored

As the game continues, there's just enough enemy variety to keep this routine from becoming too boring. A particularly tough enemy might require you to throw tough Rock Pikmin to break through, for instance. Or you might need to clog up the blowhole of an elephant-trunked enemy to stun it and expose its armored weak point.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

As the most accessible and engaging entry in the series, #Pikmin4 is a treat. It’s like a summertime sorbet, light, flavourful, and made with only the best ingredients.

Polygon - Emily Price - Unscored

Pikmin 4 is a game for those who want to take small things too seriously.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Pikmin 4 (July 21, 2023) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Quoting Wccftech's review:

While exploring Pikmin 4’s overworld is generally a breeze, other parts of the game present a stiffer challenge. Caves, last seen in Pikmin 2, make their return, with each level playing host to several of the underground dungeon-like areas. The daily time limit can essentially be ignored in caves, but you also can’t sprout new Pikmin while exploring them. The design of these caves tends to be tighter and more puzzle-like, with a greater concentration of enemies providing the pushback longtime Pikmin fans may crave. Diving into their dank depths is essential, as the caves are where you’ll first meet new types of Pikmin and many of the game's castaways, and you’ll need to travel through them to reach certain parts of the overworld.

Yes, yes, yes.  It sounds like caves aren't randomly generated anymore like in 2.  It was novel at the time, but this is better.

While Pikmin 4 adds a lot, some things are missing or are not done as well as in the past – the main campaign feels a bit patched together, the grand level-capping multi-stage boss fights from Pikmin 3 are mostly gone...

That's actually a positive.  They got to be such a slog by the end.

Thankfully, Pikmin 4 starts to coalesce better in its final hours. Without giving too much away, rescuing Olimar isn’t the end of the main campaign, and the game's final stretch features more intricate level design and deeper, more difficult caves.

Fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...