Teletubbies Reboot Coming to Netflix November 14 (Excluding UK)

M7DaeZP.jpg

Join colorful friends Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po on wonder-filled adventures as they learn and grow in this 21st century refresh of the beloved preschool series, now narrated by Emmy-nominee Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt). Each episode includes new, original “Tummy Tales” songs that will have the entire family dancing along!

Was the original series as obnoxious for parents as it looked? I've never seen any of it and I have no desire to check for myself. I'm trying to figure out how carefully I should keep my youngest away. I'm cool with a ton of preschool programming. There's just some that's so mind-numbing, I'm not convinced kids are actually learning anything from them but are rather just being pacified. Like, I hate Cocomelon and there's a straight ban on Oddbods in my house.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I was forced to watch the original with my now 21 year old nephew. It was ridiculously insane and not informative in any way. Just creepy tbh.

Cool. I'll add it to the banned list. Nothing I've seen of it or even the Netflix reboot looks even a little educational. I can deal with my kids sitting through Netflix's Word Party and be fine with it. Teletubbies just looks corn syrup and food dye. It will be added to my sorry list of banned content, along with Oddbods, Cocomelon, Caillou, everything by Pinkfong/Baby Shark, Boohbah, Buddi, and probably a couple others I've tried to erase from my brain.

• Halal 1

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Cool. I'll add it to the banned list. Nothing I've seen of it or even the Netflix reboot looks even a little educational. I can deal with my kids sitting through Netflix's Word Party and be fine with it. Teletubbies just looks corn syrup and food dye. It will be added to my sorry list of banned content, along with Oddbods, Cocomelon, Caillou, everything by Pinkfong/Baby Shark, Boohbah, Buddi, and probably a couple others I've tried to erase from my brain.

I think it's better than cocomelon. They show informative stuff on the TVs on their stomach.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think it's better than cocomelon. They show informative stuff on the TVs on their stomach.

That's a wildly low bar where there's Bluey, Story Bots, Daniel Tiger, Sesame Street, Numberblocks, and a bunch of other actually good children's programming.

I have never really had the fortune to watch Teletubbies from my years of babysitting for neighbours/family. Please for the love of god, just look for somewhere to watch Bluey instead. It’s at time really kiddie and then it hits you with original Animaniacs laughs for adults. 

Definitely looks like the original. My sister was 3 or 4 when the original show came out and I remember her loving it. Always looked like a bunch of giggling nonsense.  She had a Po doll that talked when you squeezed the stomach. When the batteries started getting low, the voice would get all creepy.  It also had a couple voice lines and one of them sounded very questionable.  Good times.

Edit: Of course there are YouTube videos of that old doll.  Why am I not surprised.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:58 PM, silentbob said:

I have never really had the fortune to watch Teletubbies from my years of babysitting for neighbours/family. Please for the love of god, just look for somewhere to watch Bluey instead. It’s at time really kiddie and then it hits you with original Animaniacs laughs for adults. 

Bluey is probably in the top 10 TV shows of the past decade. 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

20 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Bluey is probably in the top 10 TV shows of the past decade. 

It's hard to overstate just how right you are and how difficult it can be to get some people to believe a kid's show is this good. The only negative about Bluey is that it makes me feel very inadequate as a dad.

• Halal 1

42 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's hard to overstate just how right you are and how difficult it can be to get some people to believe a kid's show is this good. The only negative about Bluey is that it makes me feel very inadequate as a dad.

Max raves about this show all the time so I believe it's good.

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I think everyone has that feeling. It is a reminder though to say ‘yes’ to a lot of play opportunities. 

On 9/9/2022 at 7:38 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Was the original series as obnoxious for parents as it looked?

Yes?  Kind of?  There's little value to it.  It's colors and movement that distract very small children. As the kid ages (3 or 4 yo) it will become more a singalong thing, so maybe a little dance/coordination/memorization?  That's it.  It's dumb but it's made for 0-3 year olds so it's gonna be dumb.

The "obnoxious" part is if your kid decides they're *really* into it and you have to hear the same goddamn song for the 30th time in an hour because they like it and figured out how to use the rewind button on the remote.  It's not like kid shows or movies where there's an attempt to entertain the adult in the room too; this show knows it's audience and doesn't give a fuck about you.  It'll be on because little Billy Snotsalot wants it to be on and wine mommy just wants to be left alone for 10 goddamn minutes so she can day drink while wistfully imagining a life where she didn't have too many Long Island Iced Teas that night and let her boyfriend convince her it was OK not to use a condom just this once 2 years ago.

Edit: Just not realizing I'm replying to a month and a half old question.  Damn necroposts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Slug said:

Yes?  Kind of?  There's little value to it.  It's colors and movement that distract very small children. As the kid ages (3 or 4 yo) it will become more a singalong thing, so maybe a little dance/coordination/memorization?  That's it.  It's dumb but it's made for 0-3 year olds so it's gonna be dumb.

The "obnoxious" part is if your kid decides they're *really* into it and you have to hear the same goddamn song for the 30th time in an hour because they like it and figured out how to use the rewind button on the remote.  It's not like kid shows or movies where there's an attempt to entertain the adult in the room too; this show knows it's audience and doesn't give a fuck about you.  It'll be on because little Billy Snotsalot wants it to be on and wine mommy just wants to be left alone for 10 goddamn minutes so she can day drink while wistfully imagining a life where she didn't have too many Long Island Iced Teas that night and let her boyfriend convince her it was OK not to use a condom just this once 2 years ago.

Edit: Just not realizing I'm replying to a month and a half old question.  Damn necroposts.

Nah, I appreciate even the old reply. Programming for kids 0-3 doesn't have to be this dumb. Word Party squarely targets kids this young. Sure, the songs are repetitive and grating, but at least kids get something out of it. Distracting lights don't do it for me. There is SO much children's programming across Netflix, PBS, YouTube, and the rest there's just zero reason to put up with empty calories.

• Halal 1