I got charged by my apartment after i moved out.

Remarkableriots

I gave 30 day notice a month ago leaving my apartment. I thought it was just 30 day notice to move out but they said our policy is 60 day notice. They had me sign a move out notice but they didn't say anything else. My rent was $1,110 and i got charged Insufficient notice fee $1,452.98, $100 cleaning and $80 Damages; item disposal. Item disposal was for my Queen size bed which was too heavy for me to move and i didn't know anybody with a truck to move it. I'm even thinking about filing for bankruptcy due to medical debt.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Things couldn’t get any worse 

Idk, inside edition’s youtube page could get shut down.

I kid, I kid.

But yeah maybe you should consider bankruptcy honestly, if you don’t see yourself being able to swim out of the dept. The main thing I’m not sure of is how bad that is for just trying to rent a place afterwards nowadays though. My Dad did two and it didn’t seem to really have much negative affect itself, but different times and all.

My last landlord tried to do similar shit with me. They said I owed them $2k.

Look through your lease agreement. Unless they have an "insufficient notice fee" in writing in that agreement which you signed when you moved there, you don't owe them shit. 

I had to break the lease at my last place and my landlord came after me for an early termination fee. I notified them that nowhere in the lease agreement does it say anything about an early termination fee, let alone specifics on what that fee would be (you owe us [x]% of rent for every month left on the lease or whatever), so... suck it. Take me to court if you want. Whoever wrote your lease agreement done fucked up if they forgot to put that part in the contract, but it's not my problem.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:20 AM, Remarkableriots said:

My mom paid it and I'll pay her back when I can. I think it was something they changed from 30 to 60 days recently that I never signed. I didn't get a copy of the last lease I signed though. I'll keep better track of that for now on.

If you never signed it - can you be liable for it? 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, Remarkableriots said:

My mom paid it and I'll pay her back when I can. I think it was something they changed from 30 to 60 days recently that I never signed. I didn't get a copy of the last lease I signed though. I'll keep better track of that for now on.

I was gonna say, review this shit thoroughly before you pay a dime. I had a slumlord once who tried to stick me for some loophole-y stuff and I took him to small claims court over it. They ruled in my favor because he couldn't prove it either way. Now if your lease DID clearly state 60 days in print and you signed it, that's different. If, like you said, they just changed it and didn't give you notice nor had you sign anything, that sounds highly disputable.