Mikhail Gorbachev -- former Pizza Hut spokesman -- has joined the Eternal Politburo

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mikhail Gorbachev -- former Pizza Hut spokesman -- has joined the Eternal Politburo

I don't know what could have saved the Soviet Union. But Gorbachev killed it. I very much admired him through my life: first for dreaming to eliminate nuclear weapons, next for killing the Soviet Union (accidentally), and now for trying to liberalize an empire. Of course, that was always going to kill it. But Gorbachev did things that he knew the people needed to sweep away the remnants of the system Brezhnev had instituted. 
What came next was disaster, but outside of persisting as it had been, I can't think of another way that it could have ended. Gorby did his best in spite of himself and in spite of the realities of the system. 

Za Gorbachyova!

4 hours ago, CayceG said:

I can't think of another way that it could have ended.

Patton's Third Army was ordered to halt as it reached the German border and was prevented from seizing either Berlin or Prague, moves that could have prevented Soviet domination of Eastern Europe after the war. "We may have been fighting the wrong enemy all along. But while we're here, we should go after the bastards now, 'cause we're gonna have to fight 'em eventually. I'll say this; the Third Army alone with very little help and with damned few casualties, could lick what is left of the Russians in six weeks. You mark my words. Don't ever forget them . . . Someday we will have to fight them and it will take six years and cost us six million lives"

"They could probably maintain themselves in the type of fighting I could give them for five days. After that it would make no difference how many million men they have, and if you wanted Moscow I could give it to you. They lived on the land coming down. There is insufficient left for them to maintain themselves going back. Let's not give them time to build up their supplies. If we do, then . . . we have had a victory over the Germans and disarmed them, but we have failed in the liberation of Europe; we have lost the war!"

"In my opinion, the American Army as it now exists could beat the Russians with the greatest of ease, because, while the Russians have good infantry, they are lacking in artillery, air, tanks, and in the knowledge of the use of the combined arms, whereas we excel in all three of these. If it should be necessary to fight the Russians, the sooner we do it the better."

WWW.GLOBALSECURITY.ORG

• Sicko Sherman 1