Do you think there should be billionaires in the world?

gamer.tv

Should the people that create and build business be entitled to a significant profit from it, should it be distributed between the company employees to reflect contribution more accurately, or should it be distributed more widely (businesses or people of a certain size be significantly taxes and use as part of national funding). 

Where do you sit with this? 

If you made $10k every single day for your entire life, you wouldn't even come close to sniffing $1 billion. In fact it would take you 3-4 lifetimes.

The difference between a billion and a million is essentially a billion dollars.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but a world where Elon Musk can just play around with billions because he has so many billions that a few billion here or there means nothing to him is not a world I want to live in.

Bill Gates could almost single handedly end world hunger if he tried hard enough.

• Haha 1

I don’t have any take on the notion of “should” here. I do wonder whether or not the dream of terrible wealth is a key driver of innovation. I don’t know. Like, I do what I do because I enjoy it and am good at it. I really don’t think about the financial impact of growing my company.

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t have any take on the notion of “should” here. I do wonder whether or not the dream of terrible wealth is a key driver of innovation. I don’t know. Like, I do what I do because I enjoy it and am good at it. I really don’t think about the financial impact of growing my company.

I think there's this misguided idea that capping wealth means no one will innovate. I don't think that's true at all. People will continue to develop things that give them an edge up. "This innovation will only net me $1 million instead of $10 million, so it's not worth it to do it" is not where peoples' minds will go.

14 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think there's this misguided idea that capping wealth means no one will innovate. I don't think that's true at all. People will continue to develop things that give them an edge up. "This innovation will only net me $1 million instead of $10 million, so it's not worth it to do it" is not where peoples' minds will go.

If it were just about the founder side of the equation, sure. But the investor class actually does think “millions isn’t enough”, and you would be hard pressed to find many major firms in the last 20 years that didn’t rely on VC money to grow to the size that created billion dollar valuations.

If you can make billions of dollars while still giving your employees great pay, good benefits, unionization, and without exploiting them, you don't cheat or find loop holes with your taxes, you give generously to charity and other worthy causes, and do generally try to invest your wealth to improve the lives of others and make the world a better place, then sure be a billionaire, but I've yet to really see anyone do that so... 

The only person I can think of who didn't scam their way to the top would be JK Rowling, who wrote a popular book series, and made billions off it without exploiting anyone, but she's also turned out to be a massive transphobe, so fuck her. 

Then there's also Gabe Newell, who to my knowledge hasn't been unfair to anyone, and kind of seems to keep to himself, but I bet he could still spend a lot more on things that would help people out. 

26 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Sure. It’s their money. They made it. Nobody stopping you from making your own billion. 

They didn’t make it they just set up a way to steal from all the workers who made it. There are absolutely people who try to stop most people from making their own billion lol. Do you even america?!

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

They didn’t make it they just set up a way to steal from all the workers who made it. There are absolutely people who try to stop most people from making their own billion lol. Do you even america?!

You have your opinion, I have mine. Yours just happens to be wrong.