Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No PS5.

Also I didn't play Remake because I was a bit like Bacon and didn't like how it wasn't a true remake. Though Rebirth seems a bit more appealing even though it's even more off the rails. I guess once you know what's going on you can just push that stuff out of your mind.

I'll probably just wait till all 3 of them are out if I'm still alive by then.

I’m having way more fun going into it blind.  Since Remake makes no pretensions about the liberties Rebirth can take, I’d rather be surprised by it as much as I can.  How different Rebirth is than a PS1 game makes it feel an appropriate distance from the source material, more of a new game.  I haven’t played RE4make, but that’s an example of a game that might feel tougher to separate out in my head.  

At least so far, I’m really enjoying the way it’s filled in at least one plot hole in the og too.

49 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Im probably going to do it. Might replay OG with them. I won’t 100% it a second time. I started Chapter 10. 9 is extremely long as a chapter, but if you like the world there’s two full zones worth of stuff to do. 

Stopped at the beginning on 10 to get some things done. This game is special. 

I probably will too once they release the inevitable "complete trilogy remaster' :p But I am going to have to pace myself and I probably won't 100% each that time either. Seems better to do it after you played each separately or you might hit some fatigue.

I think this game really emphasizes how much 16 suffered from not having a party experience. 16's biggest problems IMO are lack of party, lack of character customization, and painfully slow cooldowns. God I hate slow cooldowns in every fucking game that uses them.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, legend said:

I think this game really emphasizes how much 16 suffered from not having a party experience. 16's biggest problems IMO are lack of party, lack of character customization, and painfully slow cooldowns. God I hate slow cooldowns in every fucking game that uses them.

What chapter are you on?

Honestly the characters and the story plot of VII just make the game special to me 

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

He refuses to play it because it’s a sequel instead of a 1:1 remake.

Yep. I feel that is a fair reason for me to not play it. Outside of base ff7 and AC, I have consumed zero FF7 media.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Yep. I feel that is a fair reason for me to not play it. Outside of base ff7 and AC, I have consumed zero FF7 media.

I mean, sure except you’re missing the best FF experience in decades. This game is Final Fantasy 7 at its core, but in a new and extremely exciting away.

honestly, I loved Remake, it was special to me, but this game goes well beyond that. Every corner has something I find exciting. So far only one area has felt frustrating to me, and that’s just because the area is a jungle with multiple levels, and a mechanic for reaching those levels that makes direction hard. But after I got the hang of it I found it quite a bit easier.

the place I’m in now is incredible. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I am on chapter 8 so I will be going on a date soon. Aerith gets no love and she isn't bad looking. But we're speaking about polygons lol. 

I think the hottest is Kyrie. :fap:

25 minutes ago, Biggie said:

She is banging

If my twitter timeline is anything to go by, Tifa is the world's favorite video game girlfriend. 

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I am on chapter 8 so I will be going on a date soon. Aerith gets no love and she isn't bad looking. But we're speaking about polygons lol. 

Aerith is great, but it's hard to compete with Tifa. Also, Square is making it extremely clear that Tifa is the canonical romance for Cloud.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Is there a no thank you option? Because for me its Red XIII or bust! :daydream:

You can absolutely go on a date with Red!

But who you get depends on your "relationship" status with each. Whoever has the most is who you get. So just make sure you dial it back a bit with the ladies if you want Red :p 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

14 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I think the hottest is Kyrie. :fap:

Wait, who?

3 minutes ago, legend said:

If my twitter timeline is anything to go by, Tifa is the world's favorite video game girlfriend. 

Aerith is great, but it's hard to compete with Tifa. Also, Square is making it extremely clear that Tifa is the canonical romance for Cloud.

Oh I understand Tifa and Cloud have a thing. 

Speaking of Red, he has an amazing scene on the boat ride with you play through the card tournament. Spoilers if you're not there yet.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

When he does the moon walk I had to laugh. 

• Hype 1

5 minutes ago, legend said:

You can absolutely go on a date with Red!

But who you get depends on your "relationship" status with each. Whoever has the most is who you get. So just make sure you dial it back a bit with the ladies if you want Red :p 

Not a problem, they are far too thirsty for my tastes! Red and I are off to consider life and have a few drinks... 

• Hype 1

Just now, Biggie said:

She was in the quest called Life Line in Perril. She is a wanna-be Merc. 

spacer.png

Looks underaged to me you pervert. Lol, I don't recall seeing her.

On a completely separate note, you know who is adorable is Marlene. Such a cute kid. 

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Looks underaged to me you pervert. Lol, I don't recall seeing her.

On a completely separate note, you know who is adorable is Marlene. Such a cute kid. 

She was in Remake also. She’s the grandchild of Mireille Dudley the Angel of the Slums. Are you sure you are playing Final Fantasy VII? lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

She was in Remake also. She’s the grandchild of Mireille Dudley the Angel of the Slums. Are you sure you are playing Final Fantasy VII? lol

Not a clue who that is haha. Side quests maybe?

27 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yes. In Remake he meets her in the church where he fought Reno and saved Aerith. 

That's main story line in FF7 OG not a side quest. Maybe they made it a side quest in the remakes which is odd but nah, not a side quest originally. Maybe peeps should save up some money and pay attention (not directed at you Biggie)

1 minute ago, eventide11 said:

That's main story line in FF7 OG not a side quest. Maybe they made it a side quest in the remakes which is odd but nah, not a side quest originally. Maybe peeps should save up some money and pay attention (not directed at you Biggie)

The church part is the main quest. He meant the other stuff where you interact with her more is in the side quests.

So I wonder if there's going to be any backlash from how Cait Sith is portrayed, specificity his voice.

Spoiler

A few months back square made post about the official pronunciation of it's name, which they said sounds like Kate Sith. Which kind of shunned the gaelic pronunciation which is more like cat shee. It was no big deal to me but to some they were a bit upset.

Now, I'm thinking it's kind of rotten because they gave him a Scottish voice which kind of makes the pronunciation more of a slap in the face than before.

10 hours ago, best3444 said:

Millions of people adore Aerith. This has been an “argument” for decades 

9 hours ago, best3444 said:

Not a clue who that is haha. Side quests maybe?

She’s the granddaughter of the angel of the slums in Remake, and is in a couple of side quests in this game. She also shows up late for yhe boat leaving Junon. 

She’s hot, but she is no Tifa.