Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

The things left unexplained in the DLC may be explained later.  But I could see it being a situation where you see these characters have some history but lack context.

Giant Bomb hinted that Yuffie becomes a more major character than the original by the end.  That alone is enough reason to familiarize yourself with the events of Intergrade.  It may not be window dressing, we don’t know, other than they will be dipping from the well in places Remake didn’t.

Sure, you'll get more context. That's why I said you'll better understanding her background and motivations, but it still not critical. If we were going by this reasoning, Crisis Core is *vastly* more critical than the Yuffie DLC and I don't think that's critical to play either.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

You said you don’t recall anything important, I only noted what could be important going forward and wasn’t arguing about anything 

That's not what I said and I also elaborated on what I meant by it not being critical. Not sure where things are getting lost.

6 minutes ago, legend said:

That's not what I said and I also elaborated on what I meant by it not being critical. Not sure where things are getting lost.

Not sure what’s getting lost in a reply this simplistic either:

IMG-8603.jpg

And “not important” vs “not critical”, not sure I really see the difference there :p 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Not sure what’s getting lost in a reply this simplistic either:

IMG-8603.jpg

:p 

Correct, that's what I said, which is not what you said I said. Especially when I elaborated to you what I meant by not being "critical" later. But I think we should just drop it. :peace:

19 minutes ago, legend said:

Sure, you'll get more context. That's why I said you'll better understanding her background and motivations, but it still not critical. If we were going by this reasoning, Crisis Core is *vastly* more critical than the Yuffie DLC and I don't think that's critical to play either.

It’s literally impossible to know right now unless you have full game spoilers.  They could lean into characters in Crisis Core.  They could lean into the characters in the DLC.  They could do both.

Both would be a departure from og FF7 and Remake lore, not counting the DLC.  Crisis Core also elaborates some of the beats you should already know from the PS1 days, but perhaps not in such consequential ways.  At least not on the surface of things, IMO.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Correct, that's what I said, which is not what you said I said. Especially when I elaborated to you what I meant by not being "critical" later. But I think we should just drop it. :peace:

I said “important” you said “critical”, not sure I’m seeing the difference there (since they’re synonyms) but whatever :peace:

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s literally impossible to know right now unless you have full game spoilers.  They could lean into characters in Crisis Core.  They could lean into the characters in the DLC.  They could do both.

Both would be a departure from og FF7 and Remake lore, not counting the DLC.  Crisis Core also elaborates some of the beats you should already know from the PS1 days, but maybe not in such consequential ways. (?) 

No, I don't have any full game spoilers. But I still don't see how anything in the Yuffie DLC has to be seen and that cannot be easily communicated to the player in Rebirth. The Yuffie DLC is very much a "for the fans" kind of story, like an OVA.

35 minutes ago, legend said:

No, I don't have any fully game spoilers. But I still don't see how anything in the Yuffie DLC has to be seen and that cannot be easily communicated to the player in Rebirth. The Yuffie DLC is very much a "for the fans" kind of story, like an OVA.

It could be.  It could also be messy and taken as prior knowledge, as the end of Remake was for someone who didn’t know og FF7.  They’re not above doing it, I don’t trust them to properly contextualize to catch people up.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

It could be.  It could also be messy and taken as prior knowledge, as the end of Remake was for someone who didn’t know og FF7.  They’re not above doing it, I don’t trust them to properly contextualize to catch people up.

If they can find a way to turn the background content of the DLC into required viewing I’ll be impressed :p 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Legend has just been in an argumentative mood lately.

Just let the robot win.

Robot Reaction GIF by GEICO

Pretty sure I’ve always been argumentative on this board and life in general :p 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, legend said:

If they can find a way to turn the background content of the DLC into required viewing I’ll be impressed :p 

Spoiler

Unexplained flashbacks to Sonon’s death. 

Shinra strikes back at Sepheroth with this weird masked purple guy.  Where did he come from?  Why does Yuffie act traumatized by him?

Genesis returns at the behest of purple mask guy and white hair dude.  Wait, who the heck are any of these fools?  I don’t remember them in FF7 on PS1.

etc

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee You've been awfully quiet lately. Are you getting this on Thursday?

nope! I knew I’d be waiting for the pc release as soon as FF7Remake came a year later, and I’ll wait just the same for this one - there’s plenty of jrpgs I want to play this year as it is so I’ll have no problem waiting.

• Shocked 1

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

nope! I knew I’d be waiting for the pc release as soon as FF7Remake came a year later, and I’ll wait just the same for this one - there’s plenty of jrpgs I want to play this year as it is so I’ll have no problem waiting.

Dat will power! I'd prefer to play this on my deck but I cannot wait. 

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Reveal hidden contents

If that's the worst, I still don't think it's worth telling people they need to play it before they play Rebirth and I suspect it will still be better than that :shrug: 

1 hour ago, legend said:

If that's the worst, I still don't think it's worth telling people they need to play it before they play Rebirth and I suspect it will still be better than that :shrug: 

I don't think I can spell it out more directly than Giant Bomb said it.  Timestamp is given:

"Yes, episode Intermission plays into this directly."

"Important stuff in the story... I guess that explains why Yuffie surprised you so much."

"There's some stuff she references specifically that is very important."

Grain of salt and all that.  They've played it, we haven't.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't think I can spell it out more directly than Giant Bomb said it, so I'll let them say it for themselves.  Timestamp is given:

I think it reeks of geeks being geeks about everyone having to know all the lore perfect information to appreciate a story (which I say as a geek myself). But hey, I'll leave open the possibility that they'll out do themselves!

More like fumble it in the way we should expect by now, lol.  But I think they make their point clear enough about the DLC tying directly in.  Even if they're wrong about it being all that "important," a youtube summary would probably be good idea to watch at the least.  Just in case.

There's nothing wrong with a series leaning into this stuff.  I loved every second of XB3's Future Redeemed DLC for example, even though it requires 200+ hours of RPG backdrop to set itself up.  And I'd strongly recommend someone who hadn't beaten the three games to hold back, because the lore is entirely responsible for its biggest impact moment.

Where I honestly get frustrated here is that so much of the secondary FF7 material is middling.  I'm not going to tell anyone to play Dirge of Cerberus for context for example.  Or even Crisis Core.  But the Intermission DLC, as a game, shouldn't be skipped.  It's great fun, and as a bonus, should partially prepare us for the extent they could deviate from og.  Or that it likely will, if the direct tie in comments are believed.

13 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

More like fumble it in the way we should expect by now, lol.  But I think they make their point clear enough about the DLC tying directly in.  Even if they're wrong about it being all that "important," a youtube summary would probably be good idea to watch at the least.  Just in case.

There's nothing wrong with a series leaning into this stuff.  I loved every second of XB3's Future Redeemed DLC for example, even though it requires 200+ hours of RPG backdrop to set itself up.  And I'd strongly recommend someone who hadn't beaten the three games to hold back, because the lore is entirely responsible for its biggest impact moment.

Where I honestly get frustrated here is that so much of the secondary FF7 material is middling.  I'm not going to tell anyone to play Dirge of Cerberus for context for example.  Or even Crisis Core.  But the Intermission DLC, as a game, shouldn't be skipped.  It's great fun, and as a bonus, should partially prepare us for the extent they could deviate from og.  Or that it likely will, if the direct tie in comments are believed.

Oh I have no doubt the DLC will have connections. It would be silly not to have any references as if it didn't exist. I just deeply doubt it's critical for someone to play through it before Rebirth. I think you'll still be able to enjoy Rebirth just fine without having played it and you could even go back and play it later if you find yourself interested in expanding on what happened. Certainly I have no objections to people reading synopses of it before hand though. It won't take long to read! 

The bigger worry I would have is how much knowing the OG will be important. The ending of FF7R just doesn't make much sense without knowing it. Arguably, it's "just the end" whereas the rest of the game is perfectly understandable on its own. So maybe Rebirth won't be too bad, but there is a real risk of it getting weird and without the OG knowledge it might be hard for newcomers. Guess we'll find out soon!