Justin Lin to Direct One Punch Man Adaptation

I don't see why this wouldn't work. One Punch Man is just an American superhero spoof. Yeah, the villains are going to have to be CG ridiculousness, but none of the heroes other than like Pig God are really all that out of this world. They're all just humans with super powers.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

One of the few animes I actually like but I cant see this working out as a film. 

I wanna know whos gonna play my favorite butt naked super hero Puri Puri Prisoner

Sorry, I Stuttered. — One Punch Man -Puri Puri Prisoner is TOO...

One Punch Man - Pri-Pri-Prisoner vs Sea King [ Angel Rush! ] on Make a GIF

Just need to find someone superhero fit and willing to run around naked. You'll just have to cut out the prison rape jokes.

25 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't see why this wouldn't work. One Punch Man is just an American superhero spoof. Yeah, the villains are going to have to be CG ridiculousness, but none of the heroes other than like Pig God are really all that out of this world. They're all just humans with super powers.

I agree, but the thing is One Punch Man is a satire of tournament fighting anime obsessed with power levels. Live action hasn't really seen that same commentary, so to do a satire of something most people wouldn't get means the commentary has to become about something else, it's not just an American superhero spoof. The first villain in the first episode is a Piccolo-look alike which is clearly lampooning Dragon Ball, for example. I'd say My Hero Academia is much more an American superhero spoof than One Punch man, which has a lot more anime tropes.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree, but the thing is One Punch Man is a satire of tournament fighting anime obsessed with power levels. Live action hasn't really seen that same commentary, so to do a satire of something most people wouldn't get means the commentary has to become about something else, it's not just an American superhero spoof. The first villain in the first episode is a Piccolo-look alike which is clearly lampooning Dragon Ball, for example. I'd say My Hero Academia is much more an American superhero spoof than One Punch man, which has a lot more anime tropes.

Vaccine Man isn't really a Piccolo spoof, though. Looks-wise, yeah, he's a call back, but his character requires no knowledge of who Piccolo is to work. He's the Vaccine Man who is here to cure the world of its filthy humans. His primary spoof is his grand mission, rambling monologuing, and this isn't even my final form. Those are universal. I don't see the problem with him.

It's like Marugori. Yeah, he's an Attack on Titan reference, but what knowledge of Attack on Titan do you need to understand the villain, his motivations to become the strongest, and why it's funny that he gets smacked down so easily after ranting about how he's sacrificed everything to become the strongest being on Earth?

The other villains are like water that became evil, the underground people from Incredibles, evil sperm, an annoying mosquito, and a guy that liked crab so much he became a crab.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Vaccine Man isn't really a Piccolo spoof, though. Looks-wise, yeah, he's a call back, but his character requires no knowledge of who Piccolo is to work. He's the Vaccine Man who is here to cure the world of its filthy humans. His primary spoof is his grand mission, rambling monologuing, and this isn't even my final form. Those are universal. I don't see the problem with him.

It's like Marugori. Yeah, he's an Attack on Titan reference, but what knowledge of Attack on Titan do you need to understand the villain, his motivations to become the strongest, and why it's funny that he gets smacked down so easily after ranting about how he's sacrificed everything to become the strongest being on Earth?

The other villains are like water that became evil, the underground people from Incredibles, evil sperm, an annoying mosquito, and a guy that liked crab so much he became a crab.

I'm with you on not needing to understand specific anime references (I was using just one example) but there's also the lampooning of the anime tournament fighting mentor/apprentice relationship with Genos, Genos being a great send up of the brooding, sexy anime hero archetype, or making fun of the anime trope of a person being strong if they just believe in themselves with Mumen Rider. I'm sure they could make this all work, it's just a weird property to pick, and again, maybe something better for TV since it's a longer running manga and anime.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm with you on not needing to understand specific anime references (I was using just one example) but there's also the lampooning of the anime tournament fighting mentor/apprentice relationship with Genos, Genos being a great send up of the brooding, sexy anime hero archetype, or making fun of the anime trope of a person being strong if they just believe in themselves with Mumen Rider. I'm sure they could make this all work, it's just a weird property to pick, and again, maybe something better for TV since it's a longer running manga and anime.

I hear you. I just don't think a lot of those things are that wildly foreign. I think most people have a general idea of a Kung Fu master and his student or the try hard cool guy or even the Rocky archetype that doesn't stay down.

If you didn't care about staying faithful to the manga or the web comic, you could totally squeeze the entire first season into a single 2-2.5 hour movie. I mean, the entire first season as a whole is only some 4 hours long and nothing really gets lost, story-wise, if you skip a lot of the monsters of the week. Like, all the House of Evolution stuff can just be skipped. There's no sense burning budget on Armored Gorilla or Beast King. Mosquito Girl is the only one that really matters here.

Yeah, it's comedy left on the table, but narratively, there's no good place to end a One Punch Man movie other than with the Boros fight.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:06 PM, Ghost_MH said:

I'm very skeptical that the humor will land in live action the way it does in animation. And if they're not going to capture the kind of humor of the series, they've completely missed the point.

• Like 1

One Punch Man works because it's simultaneously a hilarious parody of that style of Anime, while also being one of the best ever versions of it.

Season One was just killer. I loved it. I started season 2 a few times and it just makes me sad. The magic is all gone.

Anyway, making a live action version is a terrible idea. Unless it's going to have like the biggest SFX budget of all time, I don't see how you can pull of the scale it requires.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, SimpleG said:

One of the few animes I actually like but I cant see this working out as a film. 

I wanna know whos gonna play my favorite butt naked super hero Puri Puri Prisoner

Sorry, I Stuttered. — One Punch Man -Puri Puri Prisoner is TOO...

One Punch Man - Pri-Pri-Prisoner vs Sea King [ Angel Rush! ] on Make a GIF

Puri Puri Prisoner is a pretty problematic character. 

• True 1