New Disney+ DareDevil series incoming

Don’t worry, Charlie Cox is set to return.

A new “Daredevil” series is moving forward at Disney+, with Varietyhaving exclusively learned from sources that Matt Corman and Chris Ord are attached to write and executive produce.

Rumors have persisted for some time that a Disney+ series about the Man Without Fear was in the works, especially considering that two of the stars of the Netflix “Daredevil” series — Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio — have appeared in recent Marvel projects. Cox once again played Matt Murdock, the secret identity of Daredevil, in the film “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” while D’Onofrio reprised the role of Wilson Fisk, a.k.a. Kingpin, in the Disney+ series “Hawkeye.”

It now appears that the project is picking up steam with the hiring of Corman and Ord, although Marvel has yet to announce anything regarding the show formally.

Reps for Corman and Ord declined to comment. Marvel Studios reps do not comment on projects in development.

Corman and Ord most famously co-created the USA Network series “Covert Affairs” starring Piper Perabo and Christopher Gorham. The show aired for five seasons on the basic cabler between 2010 and 2014.  They most recently worked as executive producers and co-showrunners on the NBC drama shows “The Enemy Within” and “The Brave” as well as The CW series “Containment.”

They are repped by Verve, Entertainment 360, and Goodman Genow.

Fans have been clamoring for more Daredevil ever since the Netflix series was canceled in 2018 after three seasons. They were in for a long wait, however, as Variety reported in 2018 that the deal with Netflix included a clause that prevented any characters from the Marvel-Netflix shows from appearing in any non-Netflix projects for two years after cancellation.

The move came as Disney looked to bring its Marvel heroes under one umbrella, with multiple Marvel Cinematic Universe shows having since debuted on Disney+. “Moon Knight” starring Oscar Isaac was the last such show to premiere, with a trailer for the “She-Hulk” seriesstarring Tatiana Maslany dropping earlier this week.

26 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Before it seemed like this would be a reboot, which is stupid to me, especially with the original show on D+, so is this a reboot or a soft continuation? I can't exactly tell from the article.

I have no idea either. There are rumours we will see DD in the new series Echo series on Disney+ Maybe it will be fleshed out a bit or maybe we’ll see him on She-Hulk or have some sort of setup off that.   

11 hours ago, Brick said:

I'm kind of hoping it's a reboot with the same actors. Just start fresh. The old show was a different universe. There's too much with the old shows that doesn't really fit in nicely with the MCU as it is now. 

Ugh, I do not want to go through all the Daredevil boxing and dad and Catholicism stuff yet again. How does it not fit? It might not be perfect but they could make it work I think.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ugh, I do not want to go through all the Daredevil boxing and dad and Catholicism stuff yet again. How does it not fit? It might not be perfect but they could make it work I think.

They rebooted Spider-Man into the MCU in Civil War and spared us the backstory rehash. Granted this would be a standalone thing and not part of a giant team-up event but there's precedent for Disney getting it right on sparing us unnecessary origin story rehashing.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

They rebooted Spider-Man into the MCU in Civil War and spared us the backstory rehash. Granted this would be a standalone thing and not part of a giant team-up event but there's precedent for Disney getting it right on sparing us unnecessary origin story rehashing.

We got three seasons of Daredevil though, and The Defenders also tied heavily into Daredevil's story. I'm not just worried about rehashing the origin story, but rehashing a ton of stuff from the original show since a lot was already covered. If they ignore the origin and cover stories not covered by the original show, I'll take that, but how you do that without having at least Fisk is hard for me to imagine.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

We got three seasons of Daredevil though, and The Defenders also tied heavily into Daredevil's story. I'm not just worried about rehashing the origin story, but rehashing a ton of stuff from the original show since a lot was already covered. If they ignore the origin and cover stories not covered by the original show, I'll take that, but how you do that without having at least Fisk is hard for me to imagine.

Mostly my issue is that if Netflix Daredevil is canon, then so are all the other shows, and they got a lot more messy. Does anyone really want Finn Jones to still be Iron Fist? I doubt Finn Jones still wants to be Iron Fist. If they ever decide to try Iron Fist again, it would be better to completely reboot it, and have an Asian American play Danny Rand, and preferably someone who already has marital arts training. They don't have to retread everything from Daredevil, and can make it so he and Kingpin already have history. We really still don't know for sure with 100 percent certainty if the Kingpin from Hawkeye, and Matt Murdock from No Way Home are the same versions from the show. 

6 minutes ago, Brick said:

Mostly my issue is that if Netflix Daredevil is canon, then so are all the other shows, and they got a lot more messy. Does anyone really want Finn Jones to still be Iron Fist? I doubt Finn Jones still wants to be Iron Fist. If they ever decide to try Iron Fist again, it would be better to completely reboot it, and have an Asian American play Danny Rand, and preferably someone who already has marital arts training. They don't have to retread everything from Daredevil, and can make it so he and Kingpin already have history. We really still don't know for sure with 100 percent certainty if the Kingpin from Hawkeye, and Matt Murdock from No Way Home are the same versions from the show. 

They already have multiverse, just explain it away that way

They can make the Netflix shows "canon" without rebooting AND recast the actors if they want. In the case of Iron FIst, the new Iron Fist in the comics is Asian so they can easily justy have Danny Rand pass on the mantle. They don't need to resort to the multiverese or anything drastic like that especially since the Netflix shows are all on Disney+. The harder show to incorporate in my opinion whould be Agents of Shield than the Netflix shows and that show often tied into the MCCU DIRECTLY.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Yeah, it's annoying we don't know if they are the same versions. If they aren't, their histories could be totally different, which matters (my biggest concern from the start with multiverse stuff, and hurt Dr. Strange 2 significantly for me). But none of the shows cause much messiness. Just recast Iron Fist, there are multiple Iron Fists (like Green Lanterns) so just sideline Danny and do a different Iron Fist character from the comics. It can all be reconciled and work I think, don't forget technically the Netflix shows already were meant to tie in to the MCU (even if minimally), referencing stuff like the battle of NY and the Avengers. I think it can be done, soft continuation would be best I think.

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They can make the Netflix shows "canon" without rebooting AND recast the actors if they want. In the case of Iron FIst, the new Iron Fist in the comics is Asian so they can easily justy have Danny Rand pass on the mantle. They don't need to resort to the multiverese or anything drastic like that especially since the Netflix shows are all on Disney+. The harder show to incorporate in my opinion whould be Agents of Shield than the Netflix shows and that show often tied into the MCCU DIRECTLY.

Yeah, the Netflix shows tried to tie to the MCU, tying Agents of SHIELD would be near impossible given how much crazy shit over many episodes and seasons things happen in that show. But ignoring an ABC show should be easy, and still incorporate the Netflix shows. We'll see, Marvel's been coy so far on what is canon and what is multiverse instead.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought the Netflix series already did that when Colleen Wing became the new Iron Fist?

2 hours ago, Smith said:

I thought the Netflix series already did that when Colleen Wing became the new Iron Fist?

Did she? Did that happen in the second season? I never watched it.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m confused: what’s “messy” about the Netflix shows being canon? Do they contradict something in the movies/other shows? 

No not at all. They would reference the movies everynow and then but they didn't contradict a thing. Agents of Shield did though...

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m confused: what’s “messy” about the Netflix shows being canon? Do they contradict something in the movies/other shows? 

No, nothing in the movies even up to now contradicts anything in the Netflix shows. Now, as was mentioned, Agents of SHIELD is a different beast.

I remember Agents of SHIELD was ground zero in the turf war between Feige and the guy who was running the TV stuff before the TV stuff was also handed over to Feige, and they started doing their own thing because they were eventually hung out to dry on getting permission to tie into MCU happenings because of said turf war. Where did the Netflix shows fall in all that?

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

No, nothing in the movies even up to now contradicts anything in the Netflix shows. Now, as was mentioned, Agents of SHIELD is a different beast.

Then I’m not understanding why there’s a debate about how they should or shouldn’t be canon or how the shows would make the mcu canon “messy”. :confused: I understand the speculation since we don’t know what’s happening, but I just don’t see why it would be an issue for them to be canonical… also, please do another punisher season next. :p 

13 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Then I’m not understanding why there’s a debate about how they should or shouldn’t be canon or how the shows would make the mcu canon “messy”. :confused: I understand the speculation since we don’t know what’s happening, but I just don’t see why it would be an issue for them to be canonical… also, please do another punisher season next. :p 

Spoiler alert... it wouldn't. This is something in fanboys heads. The ABC Shows, Agents of Shield, Inhumans and Agent Carter present far more canonical problems than the NEetflix ones which were much smaller in scope and could easily take place in the MCCU.

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Spoiler alert... it wouldn't. This is something in fanboys heads. The ABC Shows, Agents of Shield, Inhumans and Agent Carter present far more canonical problems than the NEetflix ones which were much smaller in scope and could easily take place in the MCCU.

Yup, it’s why I’m genuinely asking. I’m super confused and wondering if I missed something somewhere from the previous assertion itt that it would be “messy”.

I didn’t keep up with the Netflix shows, but is there any reason they couldn’t just do a new season from where those left off? Just come back in a few years later in the timeline and start telling new stories. If they bring back the same actors, it would be confusing to do anything else, especially since those shows are now on D+. 

24 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I didn’t keep up with the Netflix shows, but is there any reason they couldn’t just do a new season from where those left off? Just come back in a few years later in the timeline and start telling new stories. If they bring back the same actors, it would be confusing to do anything else, especially since those shows are now on D+. 

They could create new shows for the characters that continue from the Netflix shows. Maybe we will get Heroes For Hire series with Luke Cage and Daniel Rand for example.

8 hours ago, Brick said:

Well for one there's Cottonmouth from Luke Cage played by Mahershala Ali who is now Blade, which I very much doubt they're going to be the same character. 

I don’t see that as an issue, there’s been a handful of actors who have played multiple characters in the MCU, and let’s not forget War Machine being played by two different actors. If Cottonmouth wasn’t dead and would return, I guess I could see the issue of the same actor playing two characters.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Marvel also had Runaways and Cloak&Dagger on Hulu.